Communications and Outreach Consultant, Jordan
PROJECT /Consultancy Title: Communication and Outreach Consultant for Water Innovations Technology (WIT)
Project Location: Amman, Jordan
The Water Innovations Technologies (WIT) project is a 5-year $35 million USAID-funded program designed to increase water conservation in Jordan. Jordan has one of the lowest levels of water availability per capita in the world. Renewed action is required to make better use of existing water resources due to economic, population, and climate pressures. The WIT project will contribute to the overall objective of conserving water in Jordan, through the adoption of proven water-saving technologies and techniques, by achieving three integrated outcomes: 1) Water conserving technologies and behavior changes are adopted at the agricultural, community and household levels; 2) Access to financing for adoption of water conservation technology is improved; and 3) Institutions strengthened to support water saving technologies. WIT partners include International Water Management Institute (IWMI) and International Center for Bio- saline Agriculture (ICBA) and four other local partners.
The Communication and Outreach consultant will be championing the communications and outreach strategy for the entire program. S/he will lead the development of the overall advocacy and communication strategy for WIT, including social and behavior change efforts. The consultant will also responsible for leading the development all advocacy and communication materials under WIT. S/he will also assist with reporting and outreach to external stakeholders, including USAID. S/he will be responsible for reviewing and finalizing reports, communication and other external materials prior to dissemination and/or submission during the assignment.
The Consultant will:
- Develop the WIT Communications Strategy in coordination with the COP, DCOP, Team Leaders and other relevant staff.
- Develop the WIT Branding and Marking Plan in accordance with USAID rules and regulations and ensure that all activities are in-line with the provisions laid out in the plan.
- Help develop, Review and finalize all WIT reports and products that includes Annual work plan, Annual reports, Quarterly reports, success stories and other project documentation.
- Develop an impactful and effective behavior change communication materials by working closely with the Social and Behavior Change advisor.
- Support developing public outreach activities using illustrative tools such as targeted public awareness campaigns, print advertising, radio, website, and other forms of electronic communications, launch events and strategy/information sharing discussions
- Review and finalize all communications and visibility and support the production of all communications and public awareness pieces, including development of required templates and systems
- Work closely with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning team to monitor the impact of public awareness/communications activities and make adjustments as necessary to increase impact to ensure project results are communicated in an effective and compelling manner.
- Coach and Mentor the social and behavioral change to be able to take over the communications and outreach advisor role.
- Develop program reporting templates that facilitate the acquisition and aggregation of information in programs and coordinate with a variety of internal stakeholders to finalize reports for donors, partners, and government on program progress, ensuring all reporting is timely, of excellent quality and is in compliance with all donor/organizational communications initiatives
The Consultant will submit:
- WIT communication strategy
- WIT Branding and Marking Plan
- Annual work plan for FY19
- Program reporting templates
- Trip report with recommendations.
Timeframe / Schedule:
The anticipated length of this consultancy is approximately 65 days (not including travel days). The consultancy should start the on the July 10, 2018 and finish on October 31, 2018. A final timeline will be developed in consultation with Mercy Corps/ WIT project at the beginning of the consultancy to establish deadlines for submission of deliverables.
The work will be done through three phases:
- Phase 1: 10 July - 16 Aug. - this will include working on communications strategy and plans, the AWP, be part of the AWP workshop and work on the WIT Quarterly report.
- Phase 2: 25 Aug. - 15 Sept – to finalize the AWP, develop Branding and Marking Plan, develop behavior change communication materials
- Phase 3: Arriving on 1 Oct. - 31 Oct. – this will include working on the Quarter and Annual report and coaching and mentoring the social and behavioral change advisor.
The Consultant will report to:
WIT Acting Chief of Party
The Consultant will work closely with:
DCOP, Social and Behavioral change advisor, Market Systems Development (MSD) Advisor, M&E staff, team leaders, partners
Required Experience and Skills:
- Master's degree in communications, international development, management or related field
- At least 15 years of experience in communication, information dissemination, outreach and reporting in an international development context
- Experience working on donor funded grants, with special attention to reporting and branding/marking requirements
- Demonstrated effectiveness communicating program objectives to a wide audience required; ability to represent Mercy Corps to international donors, government officials, local groups and community members is essential
- Familiarity with social and behavior change (SBC) or behavior change communication (BCC), community outreach, social marketing or similar
- Outstanding writing skills with proven capacity to produce high-quality briefs, reports and other communication pieces for internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated expertise in dissemination of information through print, web and email
- Ability to work independently and take initiative
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Good computer skills including and proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Native English speaker required; knowledge of Arabic beneficial
- Organization: Mercy Corps
- Location: Amman (Jordan)
- Grade: Consultant - Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Communication and Public Information
- Closing Date: 2018-07-25