Procurement and Contracts Officer
Job title: Procurement and Contracts Officer
Organizational Unit: Finance and Administrative
Services Grade: P3 Duty Station: Malmö, Sweden
Duration of contract: Two-year fixed-term appointment with the possibility of further renewal subject to satisfactory performance.
1. Organizational setting
The World Maritime University (WMU) is a postgraduate and research university established in 1983 by the International Maritime Organization, the maritime agency of the United Nations. WMU offers M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes, Postgraduate Diplomas, and Professional Development Courses (PDCs) with the highest standards in maritime and oceans education, research, training and capacity-building. WMU also has a highly respected research programme in maritime and ocean fields. The Procurement and Contracts Officer position is under the Finance and Administrative Services unit at WMU’s headquarters in Malmö, Sweden.
2. Main purpose
The incumbent is responsible for the procurement of goods and services within the delegated authority and under the guidance of the Head of Finance and Administrative Services. He/she is required to ensure compliance with WMU procurement policies and procedures and to act as the focal point for all procurement related matters, including the preparation and follow-up of all related contracts.
3. Duties, responsibilities
Within delegated authority, the Procurement and Contracts Officer will have the following duties:
- Provide a strategic and efficient procurement service covering all operational and contractual aspects for purchase of goods and services to support the activities of the University;
- Ensure delivery of optimum value for money, cost savings and best quality of service;
- Procurement of corporate goods and services, personnel services and equipment;
- Provide advice to the Head of Finance and Administrative Services on the full range of procurement issues, providing support and guidance at all stages of the procurement cycle and ensuring that the needs of the requisitioners are being met;
- Prepare solicitation processes, identify method of solicitation and ensure that the process is in line with all applicable rules and regulations;
- Implement the internal control system which ensures that procurement orders are duly prepared and dispatched in accordance with the relevant rules and procedures. Ensure timely corrective actions on procurement orders with budget verification and other matters;
- Draft tender and contract documents and manage the contracting process. Ensure the documents drafted meet the needs of the internal stakeholders;
- Monitor the performance of contractors to ensure they meet the standards required by contract and the relevant rules and regulations of the University;
- Negotiate, within the terms and conditions of the contract, solutions to conflicts/problems arising in case of poor performance or non-compliance with contractual obligations;
- Ensure that the source selection process is fair, objective and transparent and that it follows the general principles as set forth in the Financial Rules and Regulations of the University;
- Ensure implementation of sourcing strategy and maintenance of procurement system master database with focus on the development and updating of the rosters of suppliers, implementation of supplier selection and evaluation;
- Participate, as appropriate, in and conduct site inspections, bidder's conferences and contract negotiations;
- Keep abreast of market developments; • Ensure compliance with the purchase requisition requirements and applicable rules and procedures;
- Prepare and publicize invitations to tender and manage/conduct all aspects of bid/proposal evaluations in line with relevant rules and procedures; issue tenders and evaluate offers and make recommendations for the finalization of purchases and the award of contracts in accordance with rules, procedures and regulations;
- Establish and maintain schedules for on-going contracts, manage on-going supplier contracts from a procurement perspective and maintain repositories of procurement documentation and supplier contracts;
- Support Management in the establishment and maintenance of partnerships and donor agreements and maintain an updated repository; and prepare reports on procurement activity;
- Maintain an inventory system for fixed assets, attractive items, articles of values and materials in hand, and lead the annual stocktaking;
- Manage and administer the procurement module - the Supply Chain Management component - of the ERP system;
- Perform any other tasks as may be assigned by the supervisor
4. Minimum requirements – education, experience and language skills
- First University degree in Public or Business Administration, Commerce, Law or other relevant related field is required.
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field is desirable.
- Additional study or training in accounting or law or a recognized certification in procurement is desirable.
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in procurement, contract management, contract administration or logistics and supply chain management is required. Two years of experience directly related to first-hand procurement or contracting is required.
First-hand experience in conducting procurement at the international level for an intergovernmental organisation(s), governmental organisation(s) or large multi-national organisation(s) is desirable. Procurement experience within the UN system practices would be an asset.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Knowledge of another UN language would be an advantage.
5. Knowledge and skills
- Experience of working within an international organization or multinational corporation;
- Experience of working with local and international procurement laws, in particular, European and Swedish rules on public procurement and research related procurement;
- Ability to operate discretely and confidentially;
- Ability to draft and enforce policies and procedures;
- Good working knowledge of contract law and expertise in handling complex contract issues;
- Good negotiating skills;
- Sound judgment in applying technical expertise to resolve issues/problems;
- An impeccable record of integrity and professional ethical standards is essential;
- Excellent understanding and application of fundamental concepts and principles of procurement;
- Ability to analyse requirements and synthesize proposals;
- Demonstration of good knowledge of information technology and ability to apply it in work assignments.
- Knowledge and hands-on experience of the procurement component of the Supply Chain Management system, a module of the Salesforce platform, would be an advantage.
- Excellent computer skills, including ability to use of Microsoft Office.
The position offers an attractive salary (P3 Grade of the ICSC salary scale), free of income tax in Sweden, a benefits package and relocation expenses. Applicants must fill in the application form, which can be found at http://wmu.se/vacancies, provide a letter of interest, a complete CV, and the contact information of three referees to Marco Batista, Head of Human Resources (email@example.com).
Deadline for Applications: 15 August 2018.
- Organization: WMU - World Maritime University
- Location: Malmö (Sweden)
- Grade: P-3, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Mid level
- Operations and Administrations
- Closing Date: 2018-08-15