National Consultant (EPI,Health-NOB)-Cox’s Bazar; Only for Bangladeshi
Cox's Bazaar (Bangladesh)
Influx of Rohingyas has restarted following the attacks on the Myanmar Border Guard Police posts in the Rakhine state on 25 August 2017 with an influx of over 600,000 refugees. The number of women and children under five years of age is disproportionately high and their health status is fragile.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
Purpose of Assignment:
Under the supervision of the Health Officer, Cox’s Bazaar and the technical oversight of the health section manager, Cox’s Bazaar, the main responsibilities of the consultant will be as follows:
- Support UNICEF health section’s response for the Forcibly Displaced Myanmar Nationals, fleeing from Myanmar to Cox’s Bazar district in the south of Bangladesh including preventive and curative care interventions;
- Support organization, supervision and monitoring of the Diphtheria/MR/polio/OCV vaccination campaign or other SIAs as well as the strengthening of the Routine Immunization strategy in the camps
- Monitor and support the roll out of quality IMCI and as needed maternal and newborn care in all 6 PHCs and 13 HPs implemented by UNICEF’ implementing partners including mainstreaming of Gender Based Violence medical support
- Quality improvement of services provided in the health posts and primary health centers, in terms of adherence on standards for ANC, IMCI protocols, rational drug use
- Support emergency preparedness plan and its implementation monitoring in case of floods or cyclone (as mobile teams, AWD management…)
- Support reporting and monitoring of the UNICEF interventions through the HMIS and through the UNICEF emergency reporting
How can you make a difference?
Major Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Capacity Building and supportive supervision of service providers in HP/CC and Primary health center: IMCI, ANC, PNC, EPI, delivery, nutrition etc with particular attention to adherence to guidelines
- Monitor Oral Rehydration Points and provide guidance to health workers as per protocol
- Participate in the immunization campaigns micro planning and supervise & monitor its implementation
- Monitor EPI RI sessions and ensure all antigens given as per calendar, safe injections and AEFI monitoring is established as per guidelines.
- Medicines and renewables are managed as per standards (FEFO)
- In coordination with C4D section and NGO partners, train and monitor community health systems for Pregnant Women and Newborn tracking by camp. Support counselors and build their capacity in counseling and mobilization of beneficiaries for the health facilities
- Support field monitoring team of UNICEF in the settlements and as requested provide data for the daily monitoring and for donors and regular emergency reports
- In case of floods and/or cyclone, participate in organizing mobiles teams and other relief interventions as needed
- Medical treatment guidelines followed by 100% medical and paramedical staff
- EPI sessions and SIA conducted as per micro plan and adhered to standards
- Up to date stock of essential medicine
- Filed monitoring results include health response
Education: Medical doctor, Master’s in public health, training in emergency response in public health
Experience: Minimum 3 years of professional work experience as clinician or medical doctor in public health or managing MNCAH programs, Experience in emergency response is an advantage.
Languages: Fluency in English and Bangla, mastering Local languages of the region is an advantage.
- Strong inter-personal and communication/trainer skills, extensive experience in managing nutrition cluster, strong coordination experience, formulation of strategies and concepts, analytical skills, proven ability to design, develop and implement initiatives
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Cox's Bazaar (Bangladesh)
- Grade: NO-B, National Professional Officer - Locally recruited position - Junior level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Malaria, Tuberculosis and other infectious diseases
- Closing Date: 2018-07-05