NATIONAL POST: Assistant Representative, Garowe, Puntland - Somalia
The Assistant Representative is located in the UNFPA Garowe Office, Somalia and reports to the UNFPA Representative.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
- Under the guidance and direction of the Representative, you will work with local authorities, UN system organizations, multi and bilateral international development agencies, civil society and local communities to primarily provide technical and programme assistance to the activities of the UNFPA Country Programme.
- You will have responsibilities for the day-to-day operations on the ground and oversight of the substantive and technical content of the programme, as well as finance, personnel and office administration matters.
- You will advance the ICPD policy agenda in a politically sensitive environment responding to changing substantive priorities of Governments. You will facilitate and coordinate technical advisers and experts and promote partnerships, synergy and strategic alliances with counterparts, Government, multi-lateral and bilateral agencies and civil society. You will contribute to UN system’s coordination through participation in policy dialogue and provision of inputs into joint UN common system initiatives.
Advanced degree in Public Health, Medicine, Sociology, Demography, Gender, International Relations, International Development, Economics, Public Administration, Management or other related field.
Knowledge and Experience:
7 years of progressively responsible professional experience in the field of development and population activities, including programme designing, appraising and management.
Demonstrated ability to refine programme design to ensure alignment of organizational programme objectives to national priorities/capacities.
Proven ability to lead and manage teams to achieve demonstrable results.
Excellent written and oral communication skills to foster engaged partnerships at a high level of representation and to maintain political partnerships.
Fluency in English. Knowledge of written and spoken Somali language is essential.
- Organization: UNFPA - United Nations Population Fund
- Location: Garoowe (Somalia)
- Grade: NO-D, National Professional Officer - Locally recruited position - Mid level
- Administrative support
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-07-18