Information Systems Technician
Background Information - Job-specific
*** THIS IS A LOCAL POSITION FOR WHICH ONLY APPLICANTS WHO POSSESS THE ITALIAN NATIONALITY OR A VALID RESIDENCE AND WORK PERMIT IN ITALY ARE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION ***
The United Nations Global Service Center in Brindisi (UNGSC) is responsible for the delivery and maintenance of Information and Communications technology (ICT) infrastructure, system software applications in support of operational requirements of peacekeeping missions as well as Special Politicial Missions (hereinafter “field missions”).
ICT plays an integral role in the global operations of the field missions. It is one of the fundamental infrastructure componenet that support the substantive work of the field missions.
Timely secure communications and information exchange within and between UN peace operations and between these operations and Headquarters is critical in meeting the core strategic, operational and tactical mandates of the United Nations. Ensuring that a robust and fault-tolerant ICT infrastructure is in place to continue or restart operations in the event of a natural or man-made disaster or disruption has become a necessary and permanent consideration.
The UNGSC is charged with operational support for the data technology center and V-Sat telecommunications hub in Brindisi, Italy (UNLB) and the operation of the secondary active telecommunications hub in Valencia, Spain (UNSB-V, mirroring the UNLB ICT Hub). Project services required for this agreement revolve around providing systems engineering support to the Remote Mission Support Section (RMS) in relation to the support that is provided to eld missions. RMS aims to comprehensively manage and coordinate the delivery of intra-mission technical, administrative and managerial support services and functions, from both Brindisi and Valencia, in a new and e cient way to ensure the short and long-term success of its mission customers.
UNOPS has been requested to assist in the implementation of this activity.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief Remote Mission Support Section, the incumbent is responsible for the following duties:
- Technical Responsibilities
- Participate in the planning and design of network services including security requirements for different types of new field missions and offices in accordance with existing organizational ICT standards;
- Participate in the planning and design of data security systems, solutions, and policies for different types of Field missions and offices in accordance with existing organization ICT security directives and standards;
- Through proven technologies and ITIL best practices, participate in the planning and design of durable network and ICT services protection solutions to solve complex network security and data security related problems affecting Field missions and offices;
- Participate and/or conduct Proof of Concept projects closely related to field mission deployment, in particular to Strategic Deployment Stock composition and pertaining Field Technology Service modules;
- Follow organization’s established project management framework;
- Participate in the capacity building initiatives and “Knowledge Transfer” plans for ICT Network and Data Security staff in Field missions and offices;
- Provide technical input to Network Services Managers, Network Engineers, and Data Security Officers at UNGSC on ongoing (Field missions and offices related) WAN/LAN initiatives and projects;
- Work with the unit’s head to perform vulnerability scans to identify deficiencies in systems configuration, the need for the update or other security related changes;
- Perform other type of security reviews in accordance with specific instructions provided by the ICT Security unit
- In coordination with supervisor, follow up on implementation of security policies
- Provide technical support to UNGSC in the coordination of its daily operations of networks for different Field missions around the globe .
- In support of UNGSC, perform technical activities including remote configuration and maintenance of multi-protocol routers, multi-layer switches, firewalls, VPNs and other LAN equipment.
- Assist UNGSC with overall network architecture including wireless, security and generate, revise network diagrams/ documentation.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Travel on short notice to field missions. Sometimes for extended period of time.
- Provides support to the development and maintainenance of project plans for network/security
- Implement approved project plans (including the establishment of milestones) within tolerances set by the project board
- Supports the production of the required products/services, taking responsibility for overall progress and use of resources and initiating corrective action where necessary
- Liaise with any external suppliers and manufacturers
- Prepare reports on periodic basis
- Reviews Work Packages
- Inform the Project Board of any deviations from the plan
- Supports the identification and managing of risks so that maximum benefit to client and stakeholders is achieved
- Supports the review of product quality Contributes to the monitoring and evaluation of performance of the project
- Perform other duties as required.
When deployed to support Field missions and offices:
- Analyzes, network projects and made appropriate recommendations to Unit’s head, in accordance with Mission requirements;
- Review network configurations and recommend cost-effective upgrades to keep up with changing technology, growth of mission, and needs of Mission components ensuring maximum efficiency;
- Review data security systems and configurations and recommend cost-effective upgrades to keep up with changing technology, growth of mission, and needs of Mission components ensuring maximum efficiency and protection of data assets;
- Contributes to network backup and security policies;
- Draft plans and specifications for the request of equipment and services related to the area of networking including security.
- Supervises, when requested by the management, the work of personnel and/or contractors assigned to the Unit, in terms of network equipment installation, support and maintenance and organizes prompt network support by assigning the available technical resources while exercising quality assurance functions;
- Works with other specialists and collaborates with external partners to ensure proper connectivity of the Mission network to the Internet and other external sources;
- Provides technical guidance for other members of the Information Technology Unit;
- Uses network management and monitoring tools to prepare problem-analysis reports, resources utilization data, suggests measures for network maximization and provides recommendations and reports for Unit’s head review;
- Works closely with other specialists on the development and implementation of Perimeter Fence Firewalls, Intrusion Prevention Systems, Network Monitoring Systems, Secure Data Tunnels, Secure Remote Access Systems, Internet Proxy Servers and Filtering system, Secure Wireless Networks, and Network Access Control Systems;
- Manages the operation of all LAN/ WAN systems utilizing routers/switches/concentrators/firewalls and servers.
- Provides advanced technical support regarding the more complex and involved LAN/WAN problems and recommends upgrades when necessary.
- Reviews transmission performance of the local and remote network nodes at the link and I/O levels.
- Provide technical support to the implementation and maintenance of the Network Protocol TCP/IP, allocation/assignment plus IP address management, Internet access, all OSI Layers access control.
- Provides customer support to the Mission’s Wide Area Network using mostly CISCO routing, switching and multi-services platforms;
- Supports the design, implementation and maintenance of Data Security projects with emphasis in CISCO and Checkpoint (Perimeter Fence Firewalls, Intrusion Prevention Systems, Network Traffic Monitoring Systems, Secure Data Tunnels, Secure Remote Access Systems, Internet Proxy Servers and Filtering system, Secure Wireless Networks, and Network Access Control Systems)
- Supports the design and implementation of VPN (Virtual private Networks) Mission wide.
- Coordinate and assess the implementation of security policies;
- Perform security audits in order to validate compliance with policies;
- Perform other duties as required.
The results of the work of the Information Systems Technician impact directly on delivery of services that satisfy the requirements of the Department as well as the performance of these services implemented in the DFS/DPKO field missions and headquarters. It will also ensure proper processes and methodologies are followed and implemented according to the latest of the industry standards. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring activities for all global locations are in line with the overall business targets and UN policies, rules and regulations.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Secondary school education or equivalent technical school. First level degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or a related field highly desirable.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience working with ICT projects is required.
- Experience performing routine tests on servers, network, software quality, enterprise systems, user acceptance, and/or management tools is desirable.
- Experience in network management solutions in particular network monitoring and analytics is desirable.
- Familiarity with at least one centralized systems such as SAP, or O365 email in the cloud is required
- Familiarity with at least one globally distributed systems such as Microsoft SCCM, Antivirus, Software package distribution is required.
- Good knowledge of Windows operating system, database, web server, web application server, enterprise system architecture and Windows/Linux TCP/IP network stacks is desirable.
- Knowledge of data communications and networking especially WAN environment based on satellite link is desirable.
- Knowledge/experience in dealing with data communication, either on local network is required.
Fluency in written and oral English is required. Intermediate knowledge of French (reading and speaking) is required. Knowledge of another United Nations official languages is an advantage.
- ITIL foundation certification is mandatory. ITIL intermediate and/or PRINCE2 certifications are highly desirable. Relevant technology certificates are desirable.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: G5
Contract duration: 1 Year (renewable subject to funds availability and satisfactory performance)
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity.
UNOPS vision is a world where people can live full lives supported by appropriate, sustainable and resilient infrastructure, and by the efficient and transparent use of public resources in procurement and project management.
With over 8,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, UNOPS makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
Background information- ECR
Based in Geneva, the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECR) supports UNOPS offices throughout the region through: management, financial and programmatic oversight of global and country-specific portfolios, clusters and operations centres, including hosting services; fund and management advisory services; project implementation; procuring goods and services; and managing human resources.
ECR ensures that projects are executed to the highest standards, providing a shared knowledge base and ensuring that best practices and lessons learned are disseminated between business units and projects across the entire region.
ECR strategy is to:
- Strengthen UNOPS role in operationalizing the Sustainable Development Goals with particular emphasis on health, environment and economic development.
- Position UNOPS in the Balkan sub-region, the Caucasus and Central Asia.
- Strengthen the implementation of ECR global and regional programmes, with revitalized partnerships in infrastructure, procurement and project management.
ECR operates global portfolios from offices in Geneva, Brussels and New York, and country-specific programmes from its operations and project centres located in Eastern Europe and Central Asian countries.
Background Information - Development Group Cluster
Based in the New York, the UNOPS Development Group Cluster supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. For example, within the United Nations Development Programme, the Cluster works with the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support and the Office of South-South Cooperation.
The cluster also supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations in the delivery of project management and implementation services
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Brindisi (Italy)
- Grade: GS-5, General Service - No need for Higher Education - Locally recruited position - Administrative support
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Technology, Electronics and Mechanics
- Closing Date: 2018-07-24