Gender Mainstreaming Specialist/Analyst (Ukraine Nationals only) - Re-advertisement
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
In Ukraine UN Women works with the government, parliament and civil society in advancing gender equality through implementation of the national and international commitments on gender equality and women’s human rights. UN Women Ukraine implements interventions towards the realization of following strategic goals: elimination of violence against women and girls; implementation of women, peace and security agenda and gender responsive governance. UN Women works closely with the UN Country Team in integration of women’s rights and gender equality in all spheres of UN work.
The joint programme of UN Women, UNDP, FAO and UNFPA on “EU Support to the East of Ukraine – Recovery, Peacebuilding and Governance”, funded by the European Union, will be implemented in conflict-affected Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts of Eastern Ukraine.
Joint programme aims to contribute to peace, economic revitalization and reconciliation in Eastern Ukraine through social and economic recovery, with special focus on Government Controlled Areas (GCAs) of Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts.
Programme has four specific objectives: 1) To enhance local capacity for gender-responsive decentralization and administrative reforms to improve governance, local development and the delivery of services; 2) To stimulate employment and economic growth by providing assistance to Micro, Small and Medium Enterprise (MSME) development through demand-driven business development services and professional skills training; 3) To enhance social cohesion and reconciliation through promotion of civic initiatives; 4) To support sector reforms and structural adjustments in health, education and critical public infrastructure to mitigate direct impacts of the conflict. UN Women jointly with other participating UN Agencies will support the implementation of two programme components (under objectives 1 and 3) and will provide gender mainstreaming into all four components of the programme.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of Programme Manager based in Kiev, the Gender Mainstreaming Specialist/Analyst will be responsible for providing technical and capacity building support to the programme staff in mainstreaming gender in all four components and related activities of the joint EU-funded programme.
Impact of results:
The key results of this post will include enhanced capacity on gender mainstreaming and women’s empowerment among the staff of participating UN agencies, as well as ensure that gender analysis is systematically applied throughout the programme planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, reporting, and gender is mainstreamed into all programme components/activities, eventually leading to gender-responsive implementation of the joint programme.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide capacity development support to programme staff and partners
- Identify opportunities for capacity building of programme personnel and partners and coordinate and facilitate technical/ programming support and trainings to partners in gender equality and women’s rights, gender mainstreaming and women’s empowerment as needed.
- Conduct capacity needs assessment of the joint programme personnel (from all participating UN agencies) as well as provide substantive inputs to the capacity assessment of the key partners on gender mainstreaming and women’s empowerment and develop the capacity building plan.
- Provide capacity development on gender mainstreaming and women’s empowerment to joint programme personnel and key partners through face to face gender trainings and learning sessions.
- Provide programme personnel with gender mainstreaming and women’s empowerment tools and updates on current gender equality trends in Ukraine.
- Develop and conduct trainings for programme personnel to apply practical tools on gender mainstreaming.
- Provide tailor-made gender trainings of the UN agencies’ personnel and key partners as needed.
2. Facilitate gender mainstreaming into all programme components and activities
- Provide substantive technical support to mainstream gender into all four components of the joint programme including the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, as well as reporting.
- Support personnel with applying gender analysis for programme planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation to understand why and how issues affect women and men differently and unequally within particular context and what options exist to address them.
- Facilitate collection and analysis of sex-desegregated data through programme implementation.
- Lead programme personnel with a day-today gender mainstreaming, including by providing reviews and comments to the relevant programme documents.
- Ensure that gender is mainstreamed in programme related documents such as: technical briefs, analytical reports, assessments, communication strategy, terms of references, call for proposals, request for proposals etc.
- Ensure integrating result indicators for gender equality and women’s empowerment in joint programme monitoring and evaluation plan (to be developed); and make sure all indicators are disaggregated by sex.
- Ensure monitoring and analysis of the extent to which international commitments and national legal and policy document on gender equality and women’s rights are implemented on oblast and community levels.
- Ensure availability of an up-to-date information on all critical issues related to implementation of gender equality commitments on regional and local levels.
3. Ensure building of strategic partnership
- Provide substantive inputs to UN to UN Women and other participating UN agencies of the joint programme in engagement with relevant local authorities to support the gender mainstreaming throughout the programme implementation.
- Build strategic partnerships and maintain close liaison with local and oblast partners, ensuring optimum participation of all relevant stakeholders.
- Develop the professional platform for networking and partnership building with the local and regional authorities, CSOs, private sector and international development organizations or programmes.
- Ensure coordination with relevant working groups and information sharing in the Eastern regions.
- Create and coordinate partnership with local authorities, service providers, developmental actors, women’s organizations and other stakeholders in target regions.
4. Provide inputs to advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts
- Provide substantial contribution to mainstreaming gender into the joint programme’s communications and visibility plan and its implementation phase.
- Provide proactive and substantive technical support t to the organization of awareness raising and advocacy events, trainings, workshops and drafting knowledge products.
- Based on the analysis of the lessons learned, evaluations, best practices provide analytical support to the programme management in applying the knowledge for planning.
- Proactively contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice on gender equality.
- Provide inputs to the development of knowledge management products related to gender equality and women’s rights in the programme areas.
MEASURABLE OUTPUTS OF THE WORK ASSIGNMENT:
- Substantive input to the project implementation is provided;
- Programme initiatives are designed and formulated for translating UN Women’s priorities into local interventions;
- High-quality inputs to reporting and monitoring activities are provided on time.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and quality inputs to mainstreaming gender into programme planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting;
- Timely and quality inputs to capacity development plan;
- Timely organization of gender mainstreaming trainings, learning sessions, events;
- Adherence to UN Women standards and rules;
- Number of briefs, reports, plans, terms of references, call for proposals, which integrate gender equality perspective;
- Programme monitoring and evaluation plan has integrated gender-sensitive and sex-disaggregated indicators;
- Number of gender-responsive knowledge products developed;
- Partnership is established with regional and local authorities and key stakeholders at regional and local levels.
CORE VALUES / GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- People Management;
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity;
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative;
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication;
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behaviour towards others;
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution;
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge;
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Demonstrated development/programming skills particularly those that are pertinent to UN Women strategic priorities on gender issues and women’s rights;
- Ability to lead implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects;
- Ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on them for development results;
- Good knowledge of Results Based Management principles and approaches;
- Ability to establish and maintain broad strategic networks and partnerships with UN agencies and other international partners to promote partnership and build alliances to advance organizational interests and competencies.
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice;
- Ability to apply gender analysis to programme planning;
- Good analytical skills;
- Good knowledge of gender mainstreaming strategies (such as gender-integrated approaches, and gender-targeted approaches) and tools.
Required Skills and Experience