International Consultant - POM Revision coordinator and workshop facilitator
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women has decided to undertake a revision of its programmatic policies, procedures, and guidance.
to strengthen UN Women delivery and effectiveness in the field, and to address any gaps.
The consultant will work in close collaboration with all the departments in the HQ in New York, and will facilitate the workshop with field colleagues that will be held in New York.
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of work and expected outputs:
Under the supervision of the Chiefs of Programme Support Management Unit (PMSU), the expert’s work will have the following scope:
- Prior to the workshop to coordinate with HQ Departments and support them with the preparatory documentation that will form the basis for the discussions with field colleagues.
- To facilitate the 5-days workshop with field colleagues in New York and write the workshop report;
To coordinate and facilitate the preparatory work and the workshop for the revision of UN Women POM.
This consultancy will be implemented in following phases:
Phase I: coordination with HQ Departments and support with the preparatory documentation that will form the basis for the discussions with field colleagues;
Phase II: facilitation during the 5-days workshop with field colleagues in New York and writing of the workshop report;
- Coordination with HQ Departments and support with the preparatory documentation, such as workshop Agenda and organization and alignment of the drafts that will form the basis for the discussions with the field;
- Facilitation in the 5-days workshop with field colleagues in New York;
- To write the workshop report.
Phase 1: coordination with HQ Departments and support with the preparatory documentation that will form the basis for the discussions and the draft will be shared with the field
- Support HQ Departments in the preparation of material and documentation that will form the basis for the discussion during the workshop
- Coordinate with all the HQ Departments involved in the revision to ensure the alignment and coherence across programmatic policies, procedures, and guidance.
Phase II: facilitation of the 5-days workshop with field colleagues in New York;
- Facilitate the workshop presenting the documents prepared as basis for discussion
Phase III: Writing the workshop Report
- Writing of the workshop report that would include: delivery/implementation of the workshop, comments received, issues raised and remaining gaps to be addressed, lessons learned, and next steps, outlining recommendations for systemic or organizational improvements to business processes, communications flow and delivery.
Timeline: 20 days within 2-month period
Duration and duty station for the assignment
The duration of the assignment will be 20 (twenty) days within a 2-month period. The position is partly home-based with regular Skype meetings with the Programme Division and DMA, and up to a maximum of 10 days based in the UN Women HQ in New York, which includes the days of the workshop.
UN Travel and DSA to come to New York will be covered by the Programme Division.
Women will provide all necessary data will not provide a laptop to the expert.
Fees and Schedule of Payments
The position will be remunerated based on an “all-inclusive lump-sum”. The successful candidate will receive his/her payment, based on the following tentative payment schedule:
20% of the contract amount upon completion the Phase 1
40% of the contract amount after the workshop
40% of the contract amount upon submission of the workshop report
The Director of the Programme Division will certify the deliverables.
Ethics and Values:
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
Work in teams:
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
- In-depth knowledge of development issues and UN functioning (experience working with UN Women would be considered an advantage);
- Ability in strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Excellent Ability to write, speak and present in English;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates strong skills in writing policies, procedures and guidances
- Excellent oral communication, interpersonal and coordination skills
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills;
- Ability to establish priorities for self and others, and to work independently;
- Ability to remain calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change, flexibility, and ability to manage complexities;
- Results-oriented and able to respect deadlines;
- Strong IT skills (PPT, Word, Excel).
Required Skills and Experience
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criteria detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
University degree in Business or Public Administration, law or related field
- 15 years of relevant and progressively responsible management consulting experience, including substantial experience in business process design, guiding change and change management in the public sector on an international scale.
- Working knowledge of mission-driven organizations and the UN system (experience working with UN Women would be considered an advantage);
- Excellent ability and work experience in writing policy, procedures and guidance;
- Experience in coordinating different units/department
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software package (MS Word, Excel etc.)
Excellent speaking and written English, other UN languages would be an advantage.
Interested applicants for this position must submit the following or the application will not be considered:
- UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment;
- Brief description of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment;
- Proposed lump sum.
The selected applicant will be requested to provide a Certificate of Good Health from a recognized physician prior to commencement to work also certifying the he/she is fit to travel.