Developer for Machine Learning (IT-DI-OPL-2018-79-LD)
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a proficient C++ and python programmer and an expert in machine learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI)? Do you have a good expertise developing advanced ML applications for data modelisation and data analytics in high energy physics and other disciplines? Do you have experience in statistical analysis of big data? Then join the CERN openlab in the CERN Information Technology Division! CERN, take part!
Machine Learning for Modelisation and Large Data Analytics Developer in the Information Technology Division, DI Group, CERN openlab Team.
The computing demands of future HEP experiments will largely exceed the foreseeable computing resources. Moreover, the complexity of the data produced by future experiments will stretch to the limit the current statistical analysis tools. The rapid developing field of Machine Learning seems to offer promising perspectives both to increase the performance of the calculation and to offer novel ways to extract the physics content from the data. Beyond High Energy Physics, the technique and expertise developed will be applied to other fields of study in which CERN openlab is involved.
You will join a very dynamic team of IT professionals engaged in advanced R&D projects with industrial partners. CERN openlab (http://openlab.cern) has established over the years the reputation of trailblazing research with the major actors in the IT field, looking for innovative solutions to HEP computing problems that could be relevant beyond HEP in other research, societal and industrial domains. These projects are done in close collaboration with the CERN experiments, but also with research groups outside CERN from automated satellite image analysis to modelisation of biological systems.
As a developer for machine learning, modelisation and large data analytics you will work with advanced Deep Learning tools in order to explore the possibility to improve the workflow and performance of HEP experiments, including simulation and data analysis, and you will also explore the application of the tools, techniques and algorithms to other fields that are the subject of CERN openlab projects.
You will take care of the following tasks:
- Develop Deep Learning applications, both training and inference to:
- model advanced detector prototypes;
- reconstruct and analyse HEP data;
- consult and contribute to other projects in which openlab is involved.
- Explore the performance enhancements coming from the use of special hardware, with particular attention to Intel solutions, and distributed training.
- Explore the optimization opportunities offered by hyperparametric scans via different frameworks.
- Interact with users and IT companies to understand the requirements and the company offerings to identify opportunities of collaboration;
PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of computer science, experimental or theoretical physics or a related field.
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience in collaborative development of C++ and python code for the development of Deep Learning applications.
- Extensive experience in applying Deep Learning techniques to data modelisation and analysis, including hyperparametric scans and distributed training.
- Practical experience in the analysis of user requirements and experience with commercial and open source Data Analytics and ML/DL tools in order to find potentials responses to user demands.
- Capturing and analysis of requirements for ICT systems.
- Testing, diagnosing and optimization of software: usability evaluation: code and algorithms validation and testing are key for the development of efficient Deep Learning applications.
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages: proficiency in the C++ and python programming language; experience in optimizing code for high performance CPU architectures would be an advantage.
- Knowledge and application of statistical and numerical mathematical methods: advanced statistical analysis algorithms required for data analysis and validation.
- Specific Deep Learning knowledge: experience in using some of the major Deep Learning frameworks to model and analyze large datasets.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting.
- Spoken and written English with the ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make presentations.
- Working knowledge of French or the undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://careers.cern/content/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 01.08.2018.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (1 year). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: IT-DI-OPL-2018-79-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further
- Organization: CERN - European Organization for Nuclear Research
- Location: Geneva (Switzerland)
- Grade: Level not specified
- Education, Learning and Training
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Innovations for Sustainable Development
- Closing Date: 2018-08-01