Fire Safety Engineer – Computer Scientist (Fellowship Programme)
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization.
Welcome to the Fellowship Programme
Within the Programme, we are looking for a Fire Safety Engineer. The appointed fellow will carry out fire risk assessments for new or existing unique underground research facilities at CERN. For existing and operating installations, currently, the use of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) fire models is state of the art. The selected candidate will be involved in the managing tasks of a high-performance computing cluster as well as dedicated pre and post-processing tools optimized to perform analysis. The candidate is expected to develop new IT tools in case of software limitations or specific needs
For this position within the Programme, you will need to meet the following requirements:
- You are a national of a CERN Member or Associate Member State (https://home.cern/about/member-states). A limited number of positions are also available to candidates from Non-Member States with a Senior Fellow profile.
- You have a Master degree or Ph.D. thesis in fire safety engineering or an equivalent technical engineering degree program and a maximum limit of 10 years’ experience after completion of your MSc.
- Strong background in mathematics, applied physics, chemistry, thermodynamics and fluid mechanics.
- Advance programming skills, especially on parallel computing Linux and Python.
- Knowledge of fire dynamics, fire risk assessment, fire prevention, fire resistance and behaviour of materials as well as fire scenarios and human behaviour in fire.
- Original thinker and problem solver.
- Please note that CERN Staff members are not eligible to apply for a Fellowship.
CERN would very much like to benefit from your expertise, commitment and passion. In return, CERN will provide you with:
- An employment contract for between six months (minimum) up to a maximum of 36 months.
- A stipend ranging from 5,185 to 7,994 Swiss Francs per month (net of tax).
- Coverage by CERN’s comprehensive health scheme (for yourself, your spouse and children), and membership of the CERN Pension Fund.
- Depending on your individual circumstances: an installation grant, family, child and infant allowances as well as travel expenses to and from Geneva.
- 2.5 days of paid leave per month.
This is how you can apply:
You will need the following documents to complete your application:
- A CV.
- A scanned PDF of your most recent relevant qualification.
- Three recent letters of recommendation (not older than a year at the time of the deadline for applications), giving an overview of your academic and/or professional achievements.
- You can upload these letters at the time of application if you have them to hand. You will also be provided with a link as soon as you have submitted your application to forward to your referees to upload their letters confidentially. Please note this must be done before the closing date.
All applications should reach us no later than 3.09.2018.
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further.
The successful applicant is normally expected to take up their appointment in January 2019.
- Organization: CERN - European Organization for Nuclear Research
- Location: Geneva (Switzerland)
- Grade: Level not specified
- Security and Safety
- Scientist and Researcher
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-09-03