Technical Advisor - Laboratory Services
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality.
Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations
depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
- Provide technical support to the Bangladesh Livestock Research Institute (BLRI) laboratory for the following\:
- HI testing execution and revision of the current SOPs as necessary
- reference antigens and antisera production and their correct use and storage
- virus isolation and characterization by HI tests and sequencing and bioinformatic analysis with revision of current SOPs if necessary
- development and implementation of a laboratory quality management system
- Provide technical support to the Central Disease Investigation Laboratory (CDIL) and the Field Disease Investigation Laboratories (FDIL) for the following\:
- Bench-side mentorship training in core laboratory skills of CDIL and FDIL technicians
- Assess the functionality of the equipment present at CDIL
- Provide technical support for CDIL implementation of action plans for initiation of laboratory diagnosis of common and priority animal diseases
- Training of laboratory staff in diagnosis of animal diseases following regional and international standards or agreed protocols
- Coordinate closely with the Regional Laboratory Coordinator for harmonization with regional laboratory capacity building and proficiency testing initiatives.
- Coordinate with regional service providers for servicing of any FAO-provided laboratory equipment requiring repair
- Prepare technical specifications and procurement plans as necessary for procurement of required laboratory equipment, reagents, and supplies
- Participate in the Bangladesh National and relevant Regional Laboratory Network Coordination meetings on behalf of ECTAD Bangladesh
- Coordinate with international partner laboratories for technical support for improved virus isolation and antigenic characterization through antigenic cartography
- Closely coordinate with the regional team of ECTAD-Asia to harmonize and standardize laboratory capacity strengthening in line with the regional strategy
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Advanced university degree in life sciences or closely related field
- At least five years of relevant experience in animal health laboratory diagnostics, preferably in international setting or developing countries
- Proficiency in written and spoken English and limited knowledge of another FAO language.
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Technical support and bench-side, hands-on knowledge of laboratory procedures
- Previous experience with serological diagnostics and/or antigenic characterization of avian influenza viruses laboratory good laboratory management practices, quality assurance, biosafety/biosecurity and/or in management and implementation of infectious disease control programmes, preferably in international setting or developing countries
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO,
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing).
- Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognised in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications.
- Candidates with acceptable language certificate/s should upload them when submitting their application. For details, visit http\://www.fao.org/3/I8446EN/i8446en.pdf
- For other issues, visit the FAO employment website\: http\://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- For further information on categories, contract duration and honoraria, please refer to the Conditions page.
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT
- Organization: FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Location: Dhaka (Bangladesh)
- Grade: Level not specified
- Biology and Chemistry
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-07-19