Operations Assistant, GS-5, Georgetown Guyana #514280
In coordination with Guyana-Suriname Operations Hub, bring support to the Operations Officer of the Office in the management of operational functions in the country. Accountable for management of cost-effective, efficient and secure operations, in support of management, administration and implementation of the country programmes in strict compliance with the rules and regulations and in accordance with strategy, plans and decisions made by Country Management Team
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children's rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
In coordination with Guyana-Suriname Operations Hub, bring support to the Operations Officer of the Office in the management of operational functions in the country. Accountable for management of cost-effective, efficient and secure operations, in support of management, administration and implementation of the country programmes in strict compliance with the rules and regulations and in accordance with strategy, plans and decisions made by Country Management Team.
1. Operations of financial, budget, and administrative management strengthened and maintained for Guyana Office.
2. Effective coordination, communication, collaboration established and maintained with internal and LACRO Operations HUB for efficient operations, advisory function, vision and leadership, policy coordination, consultative and participatory management process, external representation as well as security and emergency operations.
3. Basic office services effectively provided to enhance staff safety and productivity.
4. Operations components of the CPMP and annual work plan of the office prepared in a timely manner, as well as all operational reporting requirements fully met for the office.
5. Effective management of direct cash transfers and liquidations in accordance with the HACT system
6. Staff learning/development for effective operations performance programme developed, implemented and enhanced for capacity building.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES and DUTIES & TASKS
Within the delegated authority and under the given organizational set-up, the incumbent may be assigned the primarily, shared, or contributory accountabilities for all or part of the following areas of major duties and key end-results.
1. Effective operations of financial, budget, human resource and administrative management. Support in the effective, equitable and efficient operations of the office's finance, budget, human resource and administrative systems using new change management tools to support and facilitate the attainment of programmatic goals and objectives by meeting changing operational requirements.
2. Coordination, communication, collaboration established and maintained with internal and TACRO Operations HUB. Support in the implementation of the effective communication with the Operations Hub Centre, training, roll-out, monitoring and evaluation of new operational initiatives, guidelines and procedures. Provide staff briefing and orientation regarding all of the operational areas. As technical/functional assistant, supports in providing the correct and consistent interpretation and application of organizational policies and procedures in the management of finance and administrative functions through the provision of technical expertise and operational support to the Guyana Office.
3. Basic office services effectively provided to enhance staff safety. Assist in the provision of basic office services including space management, equipment, communications and security to enhance staff safety and productivity. Assist in identifying and proposing appropriate office accommodations, (i.e., ensures maintenance of premises, security of staff, office premises, equipment and supplies including in times of emergency). Ensure the acquisition of all expendable and non-expendable property (administrative and/or programme supplies), ensuring that procurement is made according to the organization's rules, regulations and procedures. Controls inventory, its utilization and disposal to achieve effective IPSAS compliance.
4. CPMP Preparation. Assist in the consolidation and preparation of the finance, budget and administrative components of the CPMP; assist in the review of office structures and operations, and compilation of required job descriptions, prior to budget preparation, in line with the country programme commitment; assists in the preparation of budget and the accompanying justification and documentation.
5. Staff Learning and Development. Assists in the development and implementation of programme activities for both programme and operations staff on operational matters for capacity building. Assist in the planning and conduction of operations workshops for staff’s competency building, staff development, learning and career development.
JOB GRADE FACTORS (GS-5)
Provide technical support to execute effective financial, human resources and administrative operations for a medium Guyana Office with a relatively small size of total budget and staff members with no complex operational environment, engaging in all the areas of operations.
Provide accurate and strict interpretation of operations policy and procedures, while ensuring optimal utilization of UNICEF’s resources, in compliance with rules and regulations.
QUALIFICATION and COMPETENCIES
Please note that this is a Junior position at the GS-5 level.
Education: Completion of secondary education. University courses in accounting, business administration, economics or financial management, will be an asset.
Work Experience: At least 5 years of progressively work experience in office management, finance, accounting, ICT, human resources, supply and administration and/or other related fields.
Language Proficiency: Fluency in English.
Core Values (Required)
• Diversity and Inclusion
Core Competencies (Required)
• Drive for Result
• Working With People
Functional Competencies (Required)
• Learning and Researching
• Following Instructions and Procedures
• Planning and Organizing
Specific Technical Knowledge Required (for the job)
• Technical knowledge to perform the functions of the job at competent level.
• UNICEF operations goals, visions, positions, and organization development and change management strategies.
• UNICEF operations policies, procedures and guidelines in the Manual.
• Rights-based and Results-based management and programming approach in UNICEF.
• UNICEF Mid-Term Strategic Plan (MTSP).
Common Technical Knowledge Required (for the job group)
• Principles of office management, accounting, financial management, programme management and administration.
• UNICEF operations goals, visions, positions, policies and strategies.
• Policy and procedures of operational management, including UN/UNICEF financial and personnel rules and regulations.
• Human resources planning, development, management and administration. (e.g., HR Policy & Procedures Manual, Salary Survey Manual, Job Classification Standards).
• Information and Communication Technology administration.
• Supply operations, logistics and purchasing administration.
• UNICEF emergency programme policies, goals, strategies, approaches and procedures (e.g., Security handbook).
Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced (for the Job).
• UN policies and strategy to address operational issues involved in harmonization of operations in the common system.
• UNICEF positions about UN common approaches to operations issues.
• UN security operations and guidelines.
• Government regulations and laws in the locality.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Georgetown (Guyana)
- Grade: GS-5, General Service - No need for Higher Education - Locally recruited position - Administrative support
- Operations and Administrations
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2018-07-22