New Way of Working advisor to the UN RCO team in South Sudan
Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)
NORCAP is the Norwegian Refugee Council’s global provider of expertise to the humanitarian, development and peacebuilding sectors. We build partnerships with international organisations and national actors to protect lives, rights and livelihoods. NORCAP provides expert personnel and collaborates with our partners to identify needs and to establish common goals and projects. We help strengthen partner capacity and improve coordination and collaboration.Since 1991, NORCAP has deployed experts to more than 9000 missions to crisis all around the world.
As part of advancing the New Way or Working (NWOW) principles in South Sudan, NORCAP is looking for an Advisor to support the Office of the Resident Coordinator with the implementation of this agenda with particular attention to peacebuilding and strengthening resilience in South Sudan.
- Duration: 12 months, with the possibility for extension
- Supervisor: The NWOW Advisor will work under the guidance of the DSRSG/RC/HC and as part of the UN RCO team on a day-to-day basis
Role and key functions of the New Way of Working Advisor:
The NWOW Advisor will work alongside national stakeholders, development, humanitarian and peacebuilding actors to support the DSRSG/RC/HC in his leadership of initiatives to strengthen resilience of South Sudanese partners through more joint analysis, stronger and more focused planning and programming across the Peacebuilding, Humanitarian and Development continuum.
Within the framework of the UNCF, the NWOW Advisor will support the DSRSG/RC/HC in identifying the appropriate tools and frameworks to ensure a better integration between the humanitarian, development and peacebuilding agendas, working closely with humanitarian and development actors and UNMISS. He/she will support relevant stakeholders in defining collective outcomes and the appropriate practical instruments to deliver these outcomes.
To see the full ToR, kindly follow this link
- Master’s degree or higher in development studies, social sciences, public policy or other relevant fields.
- At least 10 years’ experience in positions of increasing responsibility for the coordination of humanitarian action, development planning, recovery and peacebuilding, and implementation of new policies and strategies in a governmental, multilateral or civil society organization context.
- Experience as a UN Strategic Planner and/or UN coordination officer and experience with PBF programs would be a strong asset;
- Proven technical and managerial knowledge and leadership in developing recovery and peacebuilding plans strategies, humanitarian coordination, including in fragile countries by working with a variety of humanitarian, peacebuilding and long-term development actors;
- Demonstrated ability to conduct in-depth written studies and formulate clear and practical recommendations. Ability to relate different issues and perspectives to concrete programs
- Knowledge of United Nations rules, policies, procedures and practices, as well as the programming mechanisms of the United Nations and its partners, particularly in crisis and post-conflict situations, as well as a functional understanding of the international development architecture; and
- Proven track record of integrating gender perspectives and ensuring equal participation of women and men in all areas of work, and accountability to affected populations.
- Fluency in English is a requiremet
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (written, verbal)
- Highly developed analytical abilities
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, ethnicity, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Ability to work in a collaborative manner with team members and multiple stakeholders a various levels
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills with the ability to reach consensus and promote new ideas and approaches successfully
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively un highly stressful situations and contexts
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Starting date: as soon as possible
- Salary range from NOK 41 666 to NOK 57 242 with allowances of NOK 27 920 per month.
- Equivalent of UN level: P4/P5
- Women are encouraged to apply
Application procedures and CV registration:
- Kindly submit your CV and application in English and include your full name as written in your passport
- Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location
- Shortlisted candidates will be assessed through a comprehensive recruitment process
- NRC reserves the right to conduct a full background check on shortlisted candidates
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Development Cooperation and Sustainable Development Goals
- Innovations for Sustainable Development
- Closing Date: 2018-08-13