Protection Assistant (Social Reintegration) (National Contract)
Title : Child Protection Assistant (Social Reintegration)
Project/Programme : Child Protection
Location : Lahj
Duration : 5 months
Report to : Child Protection Officer
Start of Contract and Duration : ASAP
Child protection is part of DRC Yemen’s programme sector portfolio. Through its child protection programming, DRC promotes the protection and welfare issues of children affected by the armed conflict including Gender based violence by offering victim assistance, Psychosocial support, case management and referrals and follow up. This is done through community-based approaches.
The Child Protection Assistant is responsible for supporting for the local partner and Child protection monitors in carrying out field-based activities, awareness raising on child rights, capacity of the local partners, supporting community Based protection committees, participating in community events. The officer also supports the Coordinator and Manager in developing training modules and conducting trainings and awareness sessions to partners and community members.
- Support the protection officer in carrying out a local-social economic assessment in Lahj, identifying opportunities skill development andfor income generation for the youth.
- Support in gathering information on the local context, target communities and employers to assist DRC, in selecting market-oriented vocational training courses that match the needs of employers and services needed in Lahj governorate.
- Carry out community awareness to promote social protection, community and family reunification / integration for the children or youth released from armed groups.
- Identifying CAAFA in the community and referring for assistance/ release
- Community advocacy on child recruitment and social reintegration for the youth at risk.
- Apply technical knowledge and skills to organize and deliver vocational training activities, in full compliance with DRC standard operating procedures.
- Assist the DRC in setting up community centre community Centres in preparing vocational training activity plans, in consultation with the training providers when needed
- Organize, FGDs and information sessions with vocational training beneficiaries when required
- Closely Supervise the implementation of the vocational training courses with mentors.
- Keeping proper documentation on youth participation on the vocational training attendance.
- Support the trainees in developing curricula for business plan for development to support DRC and mentors in supporting trainees to develop their business plan.
- Coordinate with other stakeholders implementing vocational training course to establish synergies and avoid duplications in the different Governorates
- Collect case studies and success stories
- Maintaining a close positive relationship between DRC, local partner and the community
- Ensuring program activities are implemented as planned and in compliance with child protection principles, humanitarian principles and standards
- Maintaining an effective and responsive beneficiary feedback mechanism at the community level.
- Proper documentation of program impact and lessons learnt through success stories, photos e.t.c
- Maintain a daily presence at the program sites to implement the program, identify any concerns and obtain beneficiary feedback.
- Ensure that any beneficiary feedback, concerns or issues are addressed through the appropriate mechanisms.
- Maintain accurate records regarding program implementation and provide weekly updates to the officer, coordinator and/or manager.
- Contribute to draft reports and comply with set deadlines.
- Comply with DRC’s Code of Conduct, program requirements and operational policies at all times and report any concerns through the appropriate mechanism.
- Any other duties as required by the supervisor.
- Work closely with community leaders, UNICEF field staff, local authorities and MoSAL
- Identify, verify and report incidents of grave violations against children (MRM)
- Assist the officer with training and support on MRM to local CSOs and community committee members.
- Follow-up on all referrals and provide necessary case management.
- College degree in social work, community development, economic or related field.
- A minimum of one year of experience working with a NNGO, INGO or UN agency or similar experience.
- Fluent Arabic (spoken and written)
- Basic English proficiency (spoken and written) is an asset.
- Familiarity with and acceptance in the local community
- Experience working with local communities and community leaders
- Willingness and ability to work in the project field location
- Commitment and demonstrated understanding of humanitarian principles, protection principles and child rights
- Organizational, time-management and documentation skills
- Ability and willingness to be a team player
- Experience working in vulnerable and/or conflict affected children and adolescents, their families and communities
- Case management experience is an asset
- Knowledge of the local community, business community and available resources.
Terms and Conditions
The proposed employment conditions are based on DRC policy and Yemeni labor law. The selected candidate shall perform his/her duties in compliance with the DRC Code of Conduct and procedures at all times.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Lahj (Yemen)
- Grade: Level not specified
- Social Affairs
- Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration (DD&R)
- Refugee rights and well-being
- Administrative support
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Closing Date: 2018-07-22