TVET Project Director/Directeur de projet EFTP - MCC Côte d’Ivoire
Abidjan (Cote d'Ivoire)
FHI 360 seeks qualified candidates for a prospective Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) Skills Project that aims to improve the acquisition of high-level and sought-after technical skills, and increase placement rates among graduates of Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) centers in Côte d’Ivoire. The objective of the TVET Activity is to improve the acquisition of in-demand technical skills and increase job placement rates among graduates from the Partenariat pour le Développement des Compétences (PDC) centers. The TVET Activity will support the creation and operationalization of new private sector-driven PDC centers, which will contribute to more agile, independent management of those TVET centers, better management of financial and infrastructure assets, with an aim to increase women’s participation in economically-viable training programs.
The Project Director will be specifically responsible for the following components: linking technical and vocational training to labor market demands, partnership development and growth, and management of TVET centers which respond and adapt to private sector demand and which reflect performance-driven decision making. He/she will be responsible for directing all the activities of the contract in order to ensure compliance with the objectives of the contract and the delivery of the products according to the stipulated times.
- Technically guide the overall program ensuring an integrated vision among the different components according to the approved work plan, responding to local dynamics and promoting the participation of local actors for the joint development of results.
- Establish the administrative and technical framework in order to monitor and ensure the progress and achievement of the goals, deliverables and objectives of the contract, ensuring transparency regarding administrative procedures and governance of the education system.
- Supervise, hire, and manage local staff, and local and international consultants during the development of activities.
- Be the point of contact for strategic, technical and operational aspects with Skills Project and MCC officials, as well as representatives of the government of Côte d’Ivoire and with other stakeholders.
- Establish clear and timely communications with staff and stakeholders regarding strategic, technical and operational aspects of the project. Ensure that coordinators and specialists assigned to this contract share technical inputs, work as a team, are in constant communication and maintain excellent communication with stakeholders in each component
- Establish work plans, project team, and SOPs to meet project goals and ensure compliance with policies.
- Provides guidance and training to managers and staff to achieve project goals.
- Establishes, serves and maintains partnerships with internal and external stakeholders on project matters.
- Provide leadership to the project team, ensuring clarity over plans and priorities, encouraging effective team-work.
- Responsible for induction of project staff, ensuring their familiarity with mandate values, quality standards, policies and program objectives and their individual responsibilities in upholding these standards and policies.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts and practices with project management, process development and execution.
- Excellent and demonstrated project management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills.
- Strong consultative skills.
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills to plan, organize, and manage resources for successful completion of projects.
- Ability to guide, motivate and empower the performance of team members and their counterparts.
- Ability to build positive local working relationships with local communities, district government officials, UN and where appropriate, donor representatives.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Decisions and actions have a significant impact on management and division operations.
- Problems encountered are complex and highly varied.
- Exercises judgment to meet business strategies and develops objectives that align with organizational goals.
- Strong analytical and problem solving capabilities.
- Fluency in English and French.
- Sets goals and budgets for projects and leads department in achieving strategic goals.
- Leads coordination of resources for ongoing projects across business units and addresses/resolves project issues.
- Typically reports to Director, Portfolio Management or Group Director.
- Master’s degree, or equivalent, and/or additional professional experience in a relevant field.
- Experience as Team Leader or Project Director in an international donor funded technical assistance project in a relevant technical area and ideally within the Sub-Saharan African region which include experience in designing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating donor funded program of comparable size and complexity.
- Track record of supporting the development of effective employer engagement strategies that include private sector and employment program development.
- Proven track record in developing and maintaining relationships with government officials, private sector, Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), donors, international NGOs, and professional institutions and in assisting multi-stakeholder consultations, negotiations and consensus building.
- Minimum ten (10) years of relevant management experience with a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in Francophone Africa.
- Minimum five (5) years of relevant professional experience in the field of TVET managing and contributing to public-private sector engagement and partnerships. Additional relevant areas include providing technical policy advice, development and implementation of regulatory frameworks, employer engagement and fund disbursement.
- Must have experience identifying growth opportunities for value chains as well as assessing feasibility of investment projects, including identifying entry points to educational and training programs. The candidate must have experience having analyzed education and training content to ensure that it responds and adapts to private sector demand and potentially increase firm productivity.
- Experience in the development of technical education programs, linking technical and vocational training to labor market demands, and teacher training as it relates to technical and vocational education.
- Experience successfully increasing women's participation in economically-viable training programs.
- Experience in research, monitoring and evaluation and application of results to improve the results of the program.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment. Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time; ability to lift 5-50 lbs.
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer, Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), e-mail, telephone, printer, calculator, copier, cell phones, PDAs and other hand held devices.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360's Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
- Organization: FHI 360 - Family Health International
- Location: Abidjan (Cote d'Ivoire)
- Grade: Senior - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Project and Programme Management
- Managerial positions
- Labour Market Policy
- Education, Learning and Training
- Closing Date: 2018-08-12