SVN 2018/165 (P) - Communications Officer (P1) - Banjul, The Gambia
Bangui (Central African Republic)
Position Title Communications Officer
Duty Station : Banjul, Gambia
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P1
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 23 July 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cabo Verde, Czech Republic, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
their migratory journey along the routes of the Central Mediterranean.
To meet these challenges, the European Union (EU) and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) have developed the Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration in Africa (hereinafter “Joint Initiative”). Implemented in 14 countries (Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, Côte d'Ivoire, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal and The Gambia) through 14 specific actions, it aims to protect the security, dignity and rights of migrants along this important and dangerous migration route and to help improve the reintegration of returnees through an innovative approach. This will be achieved through different types of interventions including protection and assistance to vulnerable and stranded migrants, assistance for voluntary return, support for sustainable reintegration in the communities of origin, the dissemination of accurate information on migration to migrants, potential migrants and communities, and the collection of data on migration flows. The Initiative will aim at strengthening the technical and material capacities of the authorities and organizations involved in these areas so that they can ultimately take over policies and programmes related to the protection and reintegration of migrants in the region, with a view to improving the governance of migration in the region.
Page 1 / 4Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission and in close coordination with the Joint Initiative Project Manager, with the technical support of the Regional Information Officer based in Dakar, the Communications Officer is responsible for assisting with using Communication for Development (C4D) tools to support behavior change, creating public information, media and social media content to support the mission’s objectives under the EUTF, and building the capacity of staff and local counterparts.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Based on specific instructions, draft, collate and contribute to the development and monitoring of the Communication, Awareness Raising and Visibility Strategy and corresponding Action Plan for the Joint EUTF-IOM Initiative, working closely with the Initiative’s Project Manager. 2. Provide logistical and administrative support for the implementation of the EUTF-IOM Initiative’s Awareness Raising component.
3. Participate in stakeholder mapping and analysis to identify influencers and opinion leaders in society -- including among the returnees.
4. Collect PI materials (photographs, videos, migrant stories) that highlight the actions and results of the project.
5. Draft inputs for Press Briefing Notes and other media-focused materials. 6. Collect, collate and update project information for on-line publication, including the mission’s social media platforms.
7. Liaise with IOM Regional Offices in Dakar and Brussels, and Headquarters, in relation to the Mission’s PI activities.
8. Provide written analyses and inputs for the development of internal C4D and PI capacity and provide basic technical guidance to external counterparts as required.
9. Undertake duty travel as needed.
10. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Journalism, International Relations, Social Anthropology or a related field from an accredited academic institution; or
• University degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• Understanding of awareness raising interventions and familiarity with Communication for Development (C4D) and behaviour change communication approaches and techniques a plus; • Experience in PI, PR, and media and communications;
• Demonstrated high competency as a writer in English;
• Knowledge of graphic design, web, social media, and video production an advantage; • Experience in capacity building of staff and external counterparts;
• Familiarity with international organizations;
Page 2 / 4• Previous work liaising with donors, especially the European Union and European Member States an asset;
• Demonstrated experience with photography, Adobe creative suite, and Final Cut Pro an asset. Languages
Fluency in English required.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 23 July 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Page 3 / 4Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 10.07.2018 to 23.07.2018
Requisition: SVN 2018/165 (P) - Communications Officer (P1) - Banjul, The Gambia (55561949) Released
Posting: Posting NC55561960 (55561960) Released
Page 4 / 4
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Bangui (Central African Republic)
- Grade: P-1, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Junior level
- Communication and Public Information
- Closing Date: 2018-07-23