Programme Communications Officer
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Job-specific
The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements UNOPS activities in Jordan, Iraq, Lebanon, Syria, Yemen and Turkey. In those countries, UNOPS implements projects on behalf and in support of national governments, UN agencies and bilateral donors in a its three mandate areas of infrastructure, procurement, project management. UNOPS delivers its project in an efficient, effective and sustainable manner, in line with the highest project management standards.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a truly diverse workforce.
Under the overall supervision of the Hub Director and Representative and direct supervision of the Head of Programme the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
· Provide substantive support to the Head of Programme in day to day management of Amman Operational Hub projects in Jordan, Iraq, Lebanon, Syria and Yemen, with focus on communications;
· Coordinate inputs and produces briefings, presentations and background materials for the Head of Programme, as well as meeting minutes. Monitor follow-up activities;
· Develop a communications strategy for the Amman Operational Hub, covering both internal and external communications;
· Provide substantive content for and manage the Amman Hub intranet page, highlighting project achievements and other relevant information;
· Develop key messages on UNOPS programming in the region, including for partners, local and international media;
· Write press releases regarding ongoing programmes and work closely with the Partnerships Unit on visibility activities for newly established partnerships;
· Support preparation of narrative donor reports to ensure alignment with UNOPS messaging and external communication strategy;
· Coordinate with HQ on publishing the press releases and other external communications on UNOPS website and social media;
· Produce fact sheets on specific projects and UNOPS services in the region;
· Provide inputs into speeches of the Director and the Head of Programme;
· Serve as the focal point for the United Nations Communications Group, and actively promote UNOPS within that inter-agency fora;
· Maintain relationships with HQ, CPG and external partners to gather information and provide advice on communications products and outreach;
· Close interaction with Programme/Project staff to share information and knowledge as related to projects and communications; and,
· Perform other functions, as required.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
· Communication: Strong interpersonal and communication skills (spoken/written), including the ability to listen to and incorporate the views of stakeholders; Ability to communicate clearly and effectively (both verbally and in written); ability to tailor language, tone, style and format to match the audience.
· Teamwork: Proven ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
· Client orientation: Ability to identify clients’ needs and suggest appropriate solutions; ability to establish and maintain productive partnerships with clients.
· Planning and Organizing: Ability to develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; ability to foresee risks and allow for contingencies when planning; and, ability to identify priority activities and adjust them as required.
· Advanced university degree (Master degree or equivalent) in communications, public relations, international development or related field. A first level university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
· Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in external relations, communications, advocacy, and/or outreach including experience at the international level.
· Good knowledge of the situation and challenges in the Middle East. Prior working experience in the region is an asset.
· Computer literate, in particular MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
· Experience in the UN system is required.
· Fluency in written and spoke English; knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: International ICA
- Contract level: IICA 2
- Contract duration: 12 months with possibility of extension
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Amman (Jordan)
- Grade: IICA-2, International Individual Contractors Agreement - Mid level
- Communication and Public Information
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-07-20