Area Manager - Syria
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
NRC is assisting more than 500.000 people inside Syria, providing over 1,7 million humanitarian services per year. Using innovative approaches, working through strong field offices and dedicated staff, NRC is reaching some of the most vulnerable communities in hard to reach areas across all of Syria.
Our Ideal Candidate:
To support this mission, we are seeking a motivated humanitarian professional to join our Syria Response team. They are a university graduate with at least 5 years’ experience in a senior management position in a humanitarian or recovery context.
We are particularly looking for a strategic thinker who has proven experience managing programme implementation to optimize results. They have a sound understanding of the Middle East and excellent communication skills. They also have demonstrated ability to perform well in a highly fluid environment where both context and organizational structure are subject to continuous and substantial change. Fluency in written and verbal English is essential.
If this sounds like you, apply now to join one of the world’s leading INGO’s and be part of a team of highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the most vulnerable people in the world's biggest displacement crisis.
The purpose of the Area Manager position is to ensure high quality and cost effective programme/project implementation within the designated geographical area.
The following is a brief description of the role.
- Line management for senior project staff, Field Office Coordinator(s) and possibly support (HR/logistics/finance) functions in the area.
- Member of the Country Management Group (CMG)
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Provide area specific input on CC strategies, Country Strategy and Plan of Action
- Organize grants opening and closure meetings at area level
- Implementation of projects (including master support budget and coordinating input for donor proposals and reports) in the area, in compliance with contractual commitments (i.e. quality, synergies, timeliness, use of resources).
- Assess needs, develop emergency response and implement response plans
- Ensure optimal use of resources within the allocated project budgets and CC strategies
- Represent NRC and networking on area level
- Ensure that capacity building is provided to all staff in the area
- Ensure overall security and safety of staff in the area
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
For more information related to the position responsibilities please refer to the full Job Description, attached at the bottom of the page.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline
This position is subject to approved funding
Contract period: 12 months
Duty Station: Damascus, Syria
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Syria (Syria)
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Project and Programme Management
- Managerial positions
- Refugee rights and well-being
- Human Settlements (Shelter, Housing, Land, Property)
- Closing Date: 2018-08-04