Focal Point for Mission opening and Project initial assessment - Iran
Washington D.C. (United States of America)
I - Context of the mission
Working in France and 64 countries worldwide, Doctors of the World - Médecins du Monde is an independent international movement of campaigning activists who provide care, bear witness and support social change. Through our 355-innovative medical programmes and evidence-based advocacy initiatives, we enable excluded individuals and their communities to access health and fight for universal access to healthcare.
Our action is built on four priority areas: working with victims of crises and conflicts, promoting Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH), Harm Reduction (HR) and fighting HIV and, lastly, caring for migrant and displaced populations.
MdM wishes to open medical programs in Iran, to support the efforts of the country in providing healthcare access to refugees and the most vulnerable populations.
MdM has had a first contact with Iran authorities and wishes to develop a fully transparent cooperation in the country.
For this, MdM is looking for a short term focal person to support the establishment of a working relationship with the relevant authorities, liaise with the authorities to provide MdM with the relevant authorizations, and support the conduct of a technical assessment mission preparing the launch of a project and activities.
The consultancy length is 3 months starting from September.
II - Overall objective of the mission
The focal person is responsible for the follow-up of the application of MdM towards the relevant authorities and the deliverance of the related work authorization, the preparation and support to the conduct of a technical assessment mission, and the preparatory work for the opening of a functioning MdM mission and program in Iran.
The Focal point reports directly to the desk officer and the voluntary board delegates.
III - Duties and Responsibilities
1- Liaison with authorities and follow-up on authorization
- Establish and maintain a good working relationship with the relevant authorities
- Develop contacts, within the framework of relevant networking, in particular in the medical field
- Follow-up on the application of MdM to work in Iran (validation by the NGO committee), liaise with HQ for missing documents, and for the provision of additional information if necessary.
- Work to authorize an assessment mission, the opening of an office, the recruitment of the relevant personnel, and the opening of a bank account.
- Ensure legal compliance of all actions undertaken by MdM-France in Iran.
- Ensure that actions and activities undertaken as part of operations are in concert with MdM-France internal procedures and ethical principles, as well as with its Strategic Plan and Associative Project.
2- Institutional Representation and Coordination
- Represent MdM-France in relations with Iranian authorities (ministries, institutions etc.) at a policy and decision-making level.
- Represent MdM-France in dealing with other NGOs, the inter-NGO coordinating body, and other coordinating committees.
3- Preparation and support of a medical assessment mission
- Work with HQ to prepare the ToRs of the assessment mission
- Work to prepare the logistics and admin components of the mission
- Work to provide the necessary authorizations (visas, travel authorizations within the country)
- Brief international visitors upon their arrival
- Oversees the smooth running of the assessment mission while taking place
4- Preparation of the opening of a mission and programmes
- Analyse the context and related difficulties
- Propose an organogram of the mission, and the necessary related resources for a coordination / base office
- Open a bank account
- Analyse the current legal obligations for an NGO to operate in the country (HR, taxes etc.)
- Pre-identify an office
- Regularly liaise with HQ
- Whenever necessary, propose adjustments upon the needs of the mission, according with the operational strategy as approved with the desk and the the voluntary board delegates.
- Internal communication: centralize information coming from both field and HQ and ensure smooth flow of communication (continuous upstream flow/exchange of information, monthly reports, etc.).
- External communication: ensure implementation of the communication and testimony policy as defined in collaboration with the desk and the the voluntary board delegates.
- If needed, ensures the handover to the general coordinator who will be recruited under French labor contract in 2019.
6- Preparation of fundraising
- Undertake, within the possibilities, pro-active donor prospection, in close collaboration with HQ, to mobilize resources.
- If possible, establish and develop regular contact with funding potential partners.
7- Managing Safety
- Be responsible for safety for the whole mission, including the assessment mission, and share information with both staff and head office.
- Propose analysis of the context in relation with MdM’s plans, the Iranian context and the regional / international situation.
- Prepare a first draft of the mission’s security pack.
IV- Background of the candidate Humanitarian Experience Yes
- Development Experience Yes
- Medical Experience An asset
- Languages: English : Fluent in speaking and writing, Farsi : An asset , French : An asset
- Computer skills : Excellent knowledge of windows environment (word, excel)
- Driving license : Not compulsory
- Work permit or residence permit in Iran : A strong asset **
Qualifications and experiences required:
Minimum of ten-year experience in humanitarian work, preferably in complex situations
Experience in needs assessment, mission opening mandatory
Experience in negotiations and relations with local partners and authorities in a difficult legal, administrative and political context (very important)
Experience in public health programs
Experience in projects funded by international donors
Experience in MHPSS and/or refugee programs would be a strong asset
Experience in the region would also be an asset
Personal skills required:
Excellent personal skills
Good ability to liaise and negotiate with national authorities, diplomatic skills
Adaptability, capacity to support all departments (programme and support)
Organisational skills, extreme rigor
Apply before July 30th, 2018, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the reference: IRAN/consultancy offer 20180701, with:
- A CV
- A motivation letter
- A financial offer ( maximum budget : 12 500 euro)
- Organization: MDM - Médecins du Monde
- Location: Washington D.C. (United States of America)
- Grade: Level not specified
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-07-30