National Accounts Statistics Specialist
Kuwait City (Kuwait)
UNDP and the State of Kuwait, represented by the General Secretariat of the Supreme Council of Planning and Development (GSSCPD), strive to enhance institutional capacities at various government agencies by providing them with necessary technical support to strengthen their capabilities and skills to perform their expected duties.
Under the framework of the Institutional Capacity Development for Implementation of the Kuwait National Development Plan (ICDI/KNDP) project; UNDP and GSSCPD attempt to support the Central Statistics Bureau (CSB) to create an enabling environment for KNDP results. The aim is to enhance institutional and human capacities of the CSB for evidence-based plans and policies on sustainable development.
Within this context, CSB is seeking to recruit a specialist in national accounts to support the Department of Economic Statistics, National Accounts Unit, in developing national accounts in current and constant prices, in accordance with recommendations and suggestions of the National Accounts System (2008). The Specialist will also, focus on capacity building and transfer of Knowledge to National Accounts Unit at CSB. The consultancy will also contribute to the following:
Continue with the development of tools, methodologies, and resources of statistical work on the national level:
- Complete modernization programs at the Central Statistics Bureau (CSB), including the development of institutional and ICT infrastructure, develop information systems, indicators and database, models, and statistical surveys and transform into the registered census, and develop economic research.
- Training and Development of national human resources in statistics, allowing to fulfill qualitative and quantitative needs from specialized national cadres in statistics and census.
The assignment will also contribute to the following ICDI/KNDP project outputs
- Output: Enhanced institutional and human capacities of the CSB for evidence-based plans and policies on sustainable development;
- Activity Result: Improved capacity and statistical quality management
- Indicator: Number of analyses conducted using SAM with 2008-2013 data
The main purpose of the assignment is to provide technical expertise and support the capacity of CSB through the development of systematic national statistical tools and information systems and production of periodic statistic and data, especially those that are needed and linked to the implementation of the Non-Markovian Rewards Decision Process (NMRDP). Also, building national account in current and constant prices and accordance with recommendations and suggestions of Nationals Account System 2008 and building the capacities of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of Assistant Undersecretary for Statistical Affairs Sector and close coordination with the UNDP Project officer, the National Account Specialist will provide support for developing and improving National Account 2008 and contribute to the development of annual action plan following up on its implementation linking in the NMRDP and CSB’s strategic objectives. The consultant will be focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Build the National Accounts for the State of Kuwait based on the system of Nationals Account 2008.
- Provide technical assistance to National Accounts Unit, in the field of basic accounts, institutional accounts and quarterly accounts in current and constant prices.
- Build supply and use tables using constant and current prices in accordance with National Account 2008.
- Technical expertise provided for the upgrading and periodically publishing bulletins on the national account.
- Upgrade and enhance the National Accounts System at CSB and participate in its implementation.
- Provide practical recommendations for CSB on all technical reports and documents related to the National Accounts and assist CSB to enhance the development of the National Accounts 2008.
- Assist CSB in managing, reviewing and following up on the CSB’s strategic plan.
- Participate in the quality control review of the National Account system at CSB.
Capacity building, training and Ongoing support for Economics Statistics Department and National Accounts team
- Based on thorough assessment, identify the coaching and training needs related to national accounts of the Economics Statistics Department and develop a training plan to address them;
- Developing a training plan for Economics Statistics Department on National Account 2008.
- Provide coaching and on-the-job-training for staff at the Economics Statistics Department to enable them to implement their role in relation to economics statistics and national accounts.
- Present monthly reports to the CSB and UNDP Project officer highlighting key deliverables and achievements with recommendations for the way forward
Prepare technical reports and technical notes and materials for technical workshops and conferences.
Perform additional tasks as reasonably requested by the beneficiary.
Outputs and Deliverables:
- A Work Plan at the outset of the assignment within – 2 weeks;
- A Report on capacity/training needs assessment and training plan for the Economic Statistics Department – End of Month 3;
- Report on assessment and evaluation of the outcome of the training workshops conducted – (Ongoing)
- Manual Guide for Kuwait National Accounts (timeline to be agreed with relevant department in the AWP).
- Conduct at least 1 training workshop every month, additionally to ongoing hands-on training to the CSB staff, and discussion sessions on topics including but not limited to (National Accounts Development) and (Supply and use tables) – (Ongoing).
- Monthly and quarterly progress reports as per standard templates – (Ongoing).
Roles and Coordination Requirements
The Specialist will work under the direct supervision of the Head of Economic Statistics Department at CSB. The Specialist will also indirectly report to the ICDI/KNDP project management based in the International Cooperation Department at the GSSCPD by submitting regular reports on progress and impact of the assignment.
The Nationals Specialist should be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Makes a case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches;
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms;
- Develops and/or participates in the development of tools and mechanisms, including identifying new approaches to promote individual and organizational learning and knowledge sharing using formal and informal methodologies.
- Promotes knowledge sharing.
Promoting organizational change and development
- Performs appropriate work analysis and assists in the redesign to establish clear standards for implementation;
- Develops communications and programs to assist business units in their adaptation to changing the environment.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines;
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit;
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally;
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents;
- Building staff competence and creating an environment of creativity and innovation;
- Building and promoting effective teams;
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication;
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning. Endorsing learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Fair and transparent decision-making and calculated risk-taking.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum Master Degree in Economics, Statistics, Accounting or any related disciplines. Ph.D. is preferable.
- Minimum of 10 years of proven experience at the national or international level in providing advisory services in the area of National Account in general.
- Has proven experience working on National Account system 2008 in particular.
- Experience in a governmental statistical institution is an advantage.
- Experience in using statistical computer programs and excellent computer skills with MS. Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Knowledge and familiarity with of the economic and social situation in Kuwait is an asset.
- UN experience is an advantage.
- Fluency in oral and written English and Arabic is a must.
- This position will be on Governmental contract administered by the General Secretariat of the Supreme Council for Planning and Development.
- As part of the application, the applicant must attach a CV.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Kuwait City (Kuwait)
- Grade: Level not specified
- Closing Date: 2018-07-26