Editor for DCCE Knowledge Products
The UNDP and Dubai Carbon Centre of Excellence (DCCE) have been working on developing and publishing knowledge products in the form of annual reports on Energy and Environment, since 2013. The UNDP editorial team, provides strategic guidance, technical backstopping and Quality Assurance on the knowledge products. DCCE raises the project budget as donor and manages the project implementation.
The Knowledge products share the experience and expertise available globally, as well as at a local level in the UAE, in the fields of Energy & Environment. The knowledge products are designed to create a dialogue and mutual learning on critical sustainability issues.
Energy and Environment are two critical areas to be addressed when it comes to developing a Green Economy. Policy design and implementation of a green economy can be supported by a variety of toolboxes, best practices, models, platforms and analytical/assessment methodologies. It is in this context, the UNDP–DCCE knowledge products have been created, to reduce the knowledge gap that exists in the UAE.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Function
The Knowledge Products published as soft and hard copy publications across various media platforms will be formulated with the main purpose of showcasing all the work that has been done in the field of Energy & Environment, carbon emission reduction programmes, green economy, sustainability; and relevant critical issues at national and sub-national level. Therefore, the reports serve as an analytical tool that will enrich the sustainable development dialogue in the United Arab Emirates.
Content planning, quality assurance of content, including general follow up to ensure timely implementation of the project such as receiving necessary approvals from relevant stakeholders, technical reviews, editing, rewriting of material, and putting recommendations on the narrative if and when needed, facts and data checks, again if and when needed, and any further recommendations to improve quality or actions to do so. The role also requires management of stakeholders’ and their expectations, and establishment/implementation of any processes or plans required to streamline and improve the quality and production of each deliverable.
The technical reviewer will be in direct contact with the UNDP team and the Technical Editor in Chief/Project Manager to discuss these comments, changes and recommendations.
Duties, Responsibilities and Deliverables
Leads research and development of all knowledge products
- Management and build of a continuous knowledge repository for KPS
- Provide Flat Plans for KP publications and reports for DCCE CO approval
- Content Planning for multiple reports, monthly publications and any other Knowledge Products under DCCE such as corporate reports
- Writing Features and Reports for KPS
- Conducting Interviews with relevant stakeholders and contributors
- UNDP Quality Assurance of content from regional hub advisory support.
- Editing copy, written by reporters or features writers, to remove spelling mistakes and grammatical errors
- Re-writing material so that it flows or reads better and adheres to the house style of a publication
- Liaising with reporters , journalist , PR agencies and editors
- Checking facts and stories to ensure they are accurate, adhere to copyright laws, are not libelous or go against the publication's policy
- Proofreading complete pages produced by other sub-editors using the main basic proofing symbols
- Deciding where to use them for best effect and writing picture captions . Working with design team to consolidate page layouts and a page plan to ensure that the stories appear in the correct place and each page in coherence with brand guidelines
- Liaise with both internal and external designers to ensure all content is implemented to quality expectations, in line with design standards and templates provided.
- A minimum write up of 700 words a day
- Take ownership and accountability of the whole process of putting the sustainability magazine together from start to finish.
Ensures UNDP Quality Assurance of content
Lases with UNDP regional hub for Arab states to coordinate advisory services for review of reports drafts
Creates strategy for each KP and adhering to the DCCE project management approach
For KPS the DCCE approval process will be followed
- Content approval – DCCE CEO
- Design Approval – Head of branding design
- Flat-plan –DCCE CEO
- Commercial viability – commercial director
Using Prince 2 in creation , delivery and closure of reports and publications . Appropriate training will be provided to selected candidate by DCCE
Any other duty delegated by the manager , including financial and technical duties
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision-making.
- Functional Competencies
- Proven ability to plan and organize; establish priorities, manage and monitor work plans, coordinate competing demands, and work within tight deadlines
- Ability to work under extreme pressure, with efficiency, competence and integrity in international multicultural office
- Very good knowledge of institutional mandates, policies and guidelines pertaining to both humanitarian and development affairs and sound knowledge of Government institutions, the private sector and of the UN system.
b.Building Strategic Partnerships
- Maintaining and establishing network of contacts for general information sharing, and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues.
- Maintaining information and databases: Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives.
- Selecting and analyzing material for strengthening strategic alliances
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building or technical assistance of counterparts, clients, and potential partners
c.Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Ongoing research and analysis: Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things; and Documents innovative strategies and new approaches.
d.Management and Leadership
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
Maintains effective client relationships: Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion; Anticipate clients’ needs; Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines; Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients; and Responds to client needs promptly
Required Skills and Experience
Education and Experience:
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Public Administration, Communications, Journalism, Development, or in related field.
- Editorial Experience of a minimum of FIVE Years, preferably in Economy/ Financial publications in leading Newspapers/ Magazines.
- A first level university degree in combination with two additional years of editorial experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Experience of more than One Year in writing scripts/ copy.
- Must be an advanced user of Adobe Indesign, Photoshop and Audition.
Language Requirements: Fluency in English (written and verbal) is required. Knowledge of any additonal UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French m Russiam Spanish) is considered an asset
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Mumbai (India)
- Grade: SB-3, Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement - Administrative support
- Operations and Administrations
- Communication and Public Information
- Translations and Languages
- Scientist and Researcher
- Documentation and Information Management
- Climate Change
- Closing Date: 2018-08-01