Consultant to provide Updating/Strengthening of Syllabus of the PGD WASH Course at TISS (Indian Nationals only)
New Delhi (India)
DUTY STATION: Home-based Consultancy with need based travel to TISS Tuljapur (3 times; maximum of 20 days – to be decided in consultation with UNICEF and TISS) for the mapping and review of PGD WASH Syllabus and Modules Course Content and facilitation of the new syllabus and modules. If required the consultant might also be asked to participate in meetings with the WASH team at UNICEF Office premises at Delhi.
DURATION OF CONSULTANCY: 3 months – (16 August 2018 – 15 November 2018)
CLOSING DATE: 19 July, 2018
To tackle open defecation, the Prime Minister of India launched the Swachh Bharat Mission on 2 October, 2014. The two Sub-Missions, Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin) and Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban), aim to achieve Swachh Bharat by 2019. Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin) envisages the improvement of the quality of life in rural India by promoting hygiene practices and making Gram Panchayats Open Defecation Free (ODF). The government also has a flagship rural drinking water supply programme, the National Rural Drinking Water Programme (NRDWP), which aims to provide adequate safe drinking water to the population. This is important as contaminated drinking water is a major source of concern with chemical contamination of Arsenic and Fluoride causing Arsenicosis and Fluorosis awhile bacteriological contamination causes various water borne diseases resulting in malnutrition, stunting and death.
One of the main challenge in the WASH sector is the absence of a technical or vocational course on WASH to build capacity for service delivery in the sector. To mitigate this, the TISS PGD WASH programme was initiated in 2011 and since thenskilled human resource for successful delivery of the WASH programmes is being gradually created. Since its inception TISS has been seeking the assistance of UNICEF for supporting part of the operational expenditure of the PGD WASH programme for roll-out of the course.
Taking the goal of developing HR in the WASH sector forward, UNICEF Maharashtra from 2013 and ICO from 2015, has through PCAs with TISS, supported the PGD WASH programme. UNICEF had in 2013, also provided technical support to develop the PGD WASH course, by requisition the services of WASH experts to prepare the curriculum. This entire support has been a significant contribution by UNICEF to the WASH sector in India, which is particularly important in view of the Swachh Bharat Mission and the goal of achieving an ODF India by 2019. UNICEF has thus had a strong role and stake in the PGD WASH programme. So far, about 125 PGD holders have successfully completed the course and are working in the sector including in Government.
Considering new developments in the sector, it is being felt that the Syllabus of the PGD WASH course needs review and updation. In this regard a PGD WASH Course Curriculum Review Workshop was organised in TISS Mumbai on 4th and 5th December 2017. Experts from TISS, UNICEF and external WASH specialists participated and contributed. The report is now available.
The Workshop concluded that out of the following areas of the syllabus, the responsibility for updation can be shared between TISS and UNICEF, so that comparative advantages can be leveraged, and the new syllabus of high quality developed. Upon discussion with TISS the following parts of the syllabus was finalized for updation.
- Water: UNICEF to support
- Sanitation: UNICEF to support
- Social science: TISS to take up
- Basic Science: TISS to take up
- Health: TISS to take up
- Field Work: UNICEF to support
- IEC/SBCC: UNICEF to support
UNICEF will engage a Consultant who will take up the review and updation of 4 components of the PGD WASH syllabus at TISS, and shall incorporate information updates and knowledge as per recommendations of the Workshop as well as inputs as guided by UNICEF and TISS.
The purpose of this assignment is to review and update the PGD WASH Course at TISS.
- WASH Specialist and C4D Specialist.
- Coordinating professor from TISS
3 months (16 August 2018 to 15 November 2018).
New Delhi with need based travel to TISS Tuljapur (3 times; maximum of 20 days – to be decided in consultation with UNICEF and TISS) for the mapping and review of PGD WASH Syllabus and Modules Course Content and facilitation of the new syllabus and modules
i) Review Existing PGD WASH SYLLabus at TISS
Map and review the existing PGD WASH Syllabus
ii) REVIEW REPORT OF THE PGD WASH SYLLABUS Review Workshop
Examine the report of the PGD WASH SYLLABUS Review Workshop organised in TISS Mumbai on 4th and 5th December 2017
On this basis, identify and mark the gaps in the syllabus that needs strengthening
iii) DEVELOP UPDATED VERSION OF THE SYLLABUS
Develop and submit revised version of the syllabus
Obtain feedback on the revised version and incorporate the same
Share final version
iv) UPDATE THE MODULES
Examine the existing Modules of 4 sections Water; sanitation; IEC/BCC and Field work
Identify and mark the gaps in the Modules
Develop and Submit Revised Modules
v) FACILITATE ORIENTATION ON THE UPDATED SULLABUS and MODULES
Facilitate an orientation at TISS for faculty and staff and for UNICEF members
- First draft of the updated version of Syllabus
- Final version of Syllabus with feedback incorporated
- First draft of the modules of the 4 sections (sections can have more than 1 module)
- Final version of Modules of the 4 sections
- Facilitate orientation of the updated Syllabus and Modules
- Any other activity related to the UNICEF-TISS partnership
- Payment is linked to receipt and satisfactory acceptance of deliverables.
- Travel expenses will be reimbursed at actuals based on submission of original invoices/reports.
- Per Diem will be reimbursed at UNICEF consultant rates.
Essential Educational Qualifications & Professional Experience for Consultant
- Master’s Degree in Water/Sanitation/Hygiene/ Social Sciences/Communication from a recognized University/Institution.
- Minimum 5 of experience of WASH/ communication. Specific experience in WASH sector and familiarity with MDWS flagship programmes SBM (G) and NRDWP will be of added value.
- Knowledge of different approaches like CATS/CAS and SBCC and facilitation skills will be of added value
- Ability to express clearly and concisely ideas and concepts in written and oral form.
Please submit your application through the online portal by 24:00 Hours Indian Standard Time on 19 July, 2018.
HOW TO APPLY: Your online application should contain Four separate attachments:
- A Cover letter explaining the motivation for applying and also explaining how the qualifications and skill-set of the candidate are suitable for this position (to be uploaded online under cover letter)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) (to be uploaded online under CV/Resume)
- A financial proposal indicating deliverable-based professional fee as per template attached below. Please do not forget to specify your name in the file while saving. (to be uploaded under financial proposal template). Please click on the link below to access the template.
iv. Work Sample: One specimen of your written work that demonstrates your writing skills (it could be a report, newspaper article or some other publication). You can upload the sample using google drive or dropbox these options are available in the online application form. Please do remember to attach your work sample as you will notice, that scores have been assigned to the work sample under evaluation criteria.
Please Note: Without the financial proposal template your application will be considered incomplete and will not be evaluated.
The selection will be on the basis of technical evaluation & financial offer in the ratio of 80:20. The criteria for technical evaluation will be as follows:
- Cover Letter (Min 7/ Max 10)
- Relevant Educational Qualification (Min 10/Max 15)
- Master’s Degree in Water/Sanitation/Hygiene/ Social Sciences/Communication from a recognized University/Institution. (10)
- Other relevant specialized qualification will be of added value (5)
- Relevant work experience (Min 18/ Max 25)
- Minimum 5 of experience in WASH/ communication sectors (18)
- Specific experience in WASH sector and familiarity with MDWS flagship programmes SBM (G) and NRDWP will be of added value (4)
- Specimen of written work of high quality may be highlighted (3)
Candidates will be shortlisted for the interview on the basis of the review of sub-criteria 1, 2, 3 as listed above. The candidates who score overall 35 marks and above against criteria (1 through 3) as well as meet the minimum cut-off in each of the above 3 sub-criteria will be shortlisted for an interview.
- Interview (Min 21/ Max 30)
- Ability to express clearly and concisely ideas and concepts in written and oral form (21)
- Knowledge of different approaches like CATS/CAS, SBCC and facilitation skills will be of added value (9)
Total technical score – 80. Minimum overall qualifying score is 56. Only those candidates who meet the minimum qualifying marks of 56 as well as score the minimum score in each of the above sub-criteria including the interview will be considered technically responsive and their financials will be opened.
- Any attempt to unduly influence UNICEF’s selection process will lead to automatic disqualification of the applicant.
- Joint applications of two or more individuals are not accepted.
- Please note, UNICEF does not charge any fee during any stage of the process.
For any clarifications, please contact:
Supply & Procurement Section
73, Lodi Estate, New Delhi 110003
Telephone # +91-11-24606516
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: New Delhi (India)
- Grade: International Consultant - Internationally recruited Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Closing Date: 2018-07-19