Global Program Leader: Potato Agri-Food Systems (18-67 )
International Potato Center POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Ref.: 18-67 GPPL/GRS/SSA
Global Program Leader: Potato Agri-Food Systems The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a dynamic and experienced research leader to head its Global Potato Agri-Food Systems Research and Development Program across Africa, Asia and Latin America. The incumbent will lead an innovative portfolio of high impact research and development projects designed to increase the contributions ofpotato to sustainable intensification and diversification ofagri-foodsystems,contributetofood security,nutritionandruraleconomicgrowthinprioritycountries within the framework of the organization’s sustainable development goals.
About the role:
This position will provide overall direction and momentum for CIP’s potato research and development program leading a multi-disciplinary team of scientists in Africa, Asia and Latin America. CIP emphasizes the broader agri-food system context of its crop research, addressing critical challenges of sustainable intensification, climate resilience, scalability of innovations, gender and inclusive economic growth. The Program Leader will expand the current portfolio through new initiatives engaging CIP scientists in all related disciplines, linkages with related CGIAR research programs, and key research and development partners globally. The Program Leader will report to the Deputy Director General of Research and Development.
The preferred location for this role would be CIP’s offices in Nairobi, Kenya with frequent international travel (40-50%) in Africa, Asia and Latin America. This truly represents an opportunity to make a huge impact on the world, as the potato is a key crop for small farmers and communities in countries all over the globe.
Strategic research for development
• Provide strategic direction for the potato program, setting priorities that respond to changing country, regional and global demand and that contribute to long-term CIP and CGIAR strategic objectives and goals.
• Provide science leadership, ensuring innovation and scientific excellence in all research and development projects through supervision and mentoring of scientists and through own contributions as an innovative researcher.
• StrengthenthecapacityandperformanceofCIP’s researchteamsinAfrica,AsiaandLatinAmerica to continuously innovate and deliver on program commitments at consistently high standards of excellence. Program development and management
• Lead resource mobilization in support of strategic program priorities working closely with CIP global and regional teams.
• Promote collaboration between scientists and researchers across biophysical and social science disciplines and between regions in support of program priorities.
• Attract researchers, students, and visiting scholars to the program, providing opportunities for research collaboration and advanced training linking national and international agricultural research institutions.
• Establish and strengthen strategic partnershipswith research institutions, development agencies, and private sector partners to accelerate progress and increase scale of impacts. • As a member of the Science Leadership Team, contribute to implementing CIP’s Strategic and Corporate Plan, and specifically develop and implement a rolling business plan for the program. • Ensure effective management of projects and financial resources related to the program. What are we looking for?
• PhD in an agriculture related field with 10+ years of experience post-PhD; recognized achievements and strong publication/grant record, and demonstrated success in agricultural research.
• Managerial experience inleading aset ofdiverse teams, scientists, and directreports(10+)across numerous countries including Asia, LATAM, or Africa.
• Experiencewith strategicdevelopmentand implementationinpotato-related orpropagatedcrop research programs in developed and developing countries is highly preferred.
• Excellent leadership skills to promote effective collaboration within the global team and cross partner organizations.
• Highly collaborative along with demonstrated success in managing multi-disciplinary teams and partnerships. Experiences in African and Asian countries are highly desired.
• Demonstrated experience in attracting and securing research funding for resource mobilization. • Strongrecordleadingconcreteprojects,deliveringresults,anddevelopmentofnewtechnologies. • Strong written and oral communication skills in English; Spanish, French or other language skills would be considered a plus.
Why should you consider this opportunity?
• CIP is a global leader in research and development in potato and other root and tuber crops with a strong track-record in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
• CIP isa recent WorldFood Prize Winner, andCIP hasbeen recently awarded the Al-Sumait Award for our Orange Flesh Sweet Potato work in Africa.
• CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved nutrition and well-being, and gender equality for poor people in the developing world.
• CIP is a member of the CGIAR Consortium, a global network of 15 international research centers supported by more than 50 donor members.What are we offering?
• Superb career opportunity in an international organization.
• Salary is internationally competitive, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience. • Comprehensive international insurance coverage.
• Attractive retirement plan.
• Three-year term contract with the possibility of renewal.
• Work in an equal and diverse workplace.
How to apply?
If you are interested in this role apply here or if you can provide suggested contacts for Career Trax Inc (CTI) on this search, please contact us in confidence until August 6, 2018. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Oursearch is not confidential and this document may be redistributed.
Dave Jensen, Managing Director
(928) 282-5366 Office
(928) 274-2266 Cell (Preferred)
Ryan Raver, Executive Recruiter
(507) 272-2846 Cell
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries are particularly encouraged to apply