Communications Consultant for Drafting the Communication Strategy for Montenegro’s EU Accession
Since its independence, the Government of Montenegro has made substantial progress towards the EU membership. Montenegro started accession negotiations with the EU in June 2012. At this stage of the accession process public support to the process and the ability of the government to keep citizens informed about the commitments, responsibilities, and benefits arising from the future membership, are becoming increasingly important. In this regard, the Government of Montenegro adopted a Strategy for Informing the Public about the Accession of Montenegro to European Union 2014-2018 (referred in the text as: The Communication Strategy) and its related Action Plan. Although this was the third communication strategy of this kind, it was a big step forward in the approach to communication with citizens about the EU membership and EU assistance in a more systematic way. The current Strategy for Informing the Public about the European Union and Membership Preparations 2014-2018 will expire in 2018, therefore it is necessary to develop the Communication Strategy for the upcoming period.
The project „Communicating EU Accession and EU Assistance in Montenegro II“ aims to promote EU values and communicate accession and EU assistance in Montenegro. The project is funded by the European Union and co-funded and implemented by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). It supports the implementation of the Communication Strategy, new communication action plans for IPA and promotion of sector budget support instrument. It complements the activities undertaken by the Government, EU Delegation, NGOs and the Parliament in promoting EU values and communicating accession and EU assistance in Montenegro, thus explaining benefits but also expectations arising from each of the negotiation chapters in the process of EU integration.
More specifically, the project is focused on strengthening the capacities of all Government Ministries' PR departments and local authorities, as well as on public awareness campaign to reach the widest possible audience and improve knowledge, involvement and trust of Montenegrin citizens in the EU integration process according to the general and specific objectives of the Communication Strategy, in order to provide continuous and as strong as possible public support to the Montenegro membership to the EU. It builds on the results and lessons learned from the previously implemented EU funded project “Communicating EU Accession and IPA Assistance in Montenegro”, implemented from November 2014 until May 2016 by the British Council.
Duties and Responsibilities
Objectives of the assignment:
The objective of the assignment is to support drafting of the Communication Strategy for Accession of Montenegro to the European Union for the upcoming period, moderate meetings of the Working group for development of the Communication Strategy and finalize document based on the comments and suggestions provided at the meetings.
Job content:Under the supervision of the UNDP Project Manager the consultant will perform the following tasks:
- Prepare detailed Plan of Activities with methodology and time-table, approved by UNDP Programme Manager;
- Conduct desk research and review current Communication Strategy, annual Action plans and Reports on the implementation of the plans, Montenegrin Accession Programme 2018-2020, and other relevant documents;
- Moderate the discussions at the meetings of the Working group for development of the Communication Strategy organized in order to gather inputs for the draft document, in cooperation with the local consultant;
- Support drafting of document using the regulations which define development of the strategic documents in Montenegro in cooperation with the local consultant;
- Present draft document to the Working group, consider and include comments and suggestions provided during the meetings and finalize the document, in cooperation with the local consultant;
- Prepare the Final Report for the assignment, approved by UNDP Project Manager.
Expected results:Under the supervision of the UNDP Programme Manager, the consultant is expected to deliver the following results:
- Detailed Plan of Activities with methodology and time-table for the assignment prepared, approved by UNDP Montenegro;
- Draft Communication Strategy for Montenegro’s EU Accession for the upcoming period prepared, approved by UNDP Montenegro;
- Final Communication Strategy prepared based on the comments and suggestions provided at the meetings, approved by UNDP Montenegro;
- Final report on all activities carried out under this assignment, highlighting main results achieved and proposed recommendations.
Timing and reporting: The international consultant will be regularly reporting in written to the UNDP Programme Manager for Local Governance Programme, providing sufficient details and information that would allow for the appraisal of effectiveness of the activities carried out within this assignment.
Time duration and travel: The consultant will be engaged for total of 20 consultancy days in the period from August-December 2018. The consultant is expected to work from home for approximately 11 working days, and undertake three field visits to Montenegro in duration of approximately 3 working days per mission. International and local travel costs and Daily Subsistence Allowance costs should be included in the lump sum figure.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UN/UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Excellent communication skills, facility in working with teams and capacity to compose clear and readable narrative reports;
- Demonstrates ability to manage complexities and work under pressure, as well as conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree, preferably in social sciences with focus on journalism, PR, communication or European integration;
- Minimum ten years of working experience in the relevant field;
- Proven experience in developing communication strategies for the public sector; experience of developing communication strategies for the EU Accession process will be considered as an asset;
- Fluency in Montenegrin language;
- Excellent command of spoken and written English language;
- Technical knowledge of PR and communication tools;
- Computer literacy.
Criteria for selection:
Combined Scoring method will be used. When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the inidividual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as: (i) responsive, compliant, acceptable, and (ii) having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- Technical criteria weight - 70% (Background and education 10%; Relevant previous experience 20%; Substantial knowledge/Required competencies 30%; Required language 10%);
- Financial criteria weight - 30%.
Only offerors obtaining a minimum 490 points for technical criteria will be considered for the financial evaluation. For more information on procurement methodology for Individual Contractors, please refer to Procurement Notice.
Interested applicants are requested to submit their applications by July 25, 2018 by using the Apply now button. The application should contain a duly completed Personal History Form (P11) that can be downloaded from http://www.me.undp.org/content/montenegro/en/home/operations/jobs.html. Please note that UNDP jobsite system allows only one uploading of application document, so please make sure that you merge all your documents into a single file.
Only the short-listed applicants will be contacted and requested to submit a letter of interest including a price quotation indicating the lump sum (in EUR) requested for the work envisaged in the section "Description of Responsibilities".
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Nepalgunj (Nepal)
- Grade: International Consultant - Internationally recruited Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Communication and Public Information
- Documentation and Information Management
- Closing Date: 2018-07-25