1820 - Advisor - Economy
To provide expert advice to the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).
To ensure results oriented, effective, efficient and accountable implementation of the project activities and achievement of project results.
c. Background Information
The Prime Minister of the Republic of Serbia, in her address to Parliament, outlined her reform plan for the government. This plan envisages strengthening institutions, enhancing connectivity with the region, improving the business environment and creating an appealing investment climate to increase the competitiveness of the economy and ensure sustainable growth and better living standard for all citizens.
To steer reforms at a fast-track pace, the Office of the Prime Minister has set up a Strategic project implementation Unit as a single information and coordination point supporting the head of government in reaching evidence-based policy decisions.
The economy of the Republic of Serbia is recovering gradually due to the measures introduced by the Government in 2014. The public debt was significantly reduced by the end of 2017 and Serbia successfully completed the 8th revision of the 36 months Stand By Arrangement with the IMF. The fiscal consolidation measures implemented by the Government from 2012 resulted in significant savings which enabled an increase in pensions and public-sector salaries in 2017. The Government has projected the growth of GDP in 2018 to 3.5% and to achieve this it will continue to work on attracting direct foreign investments by implementing the set of structural reform measures contained in the 2018 Economic Reform Program (ERP).
At the same time, the Government continues to pursue the Public Administration Reform agenda at an accelerated pace and works towards improving accountability and further rationalising the use of public resources.
In order to underpin fiscal consolidation and strengthen governance, the Government of Serbia committed to implement structural fiscal policy measures as part of the Public Financial Management (PFM) agenda, aiming to increase fiscal transparency, introduce fiscal impact assessment of new legislative initiatives, strengthen cash management, internal control and external audit and raise the efficiency of revenue collection. Tackling inefficiencies in the public sector, improving tax collection, reducing excessive red tape, improving the legal system and contract enforcement as well as addressing non-performing loans are some of the issues that the Government has been tackling to restore fiscal sustainability and enhance economic growth.
Duties and Responsibilities
Measurable outputs of the work assignment
Overall responsibilities: Under the guidance of the Delivery Unit Coordinator, the Advisor shall:
- Monitor the macroeconomic indicators of Serbian economy;
- Monitor the macroeconomic indicators of Western Balkans, EU and global economies;
- Provide detailed analysis of the budget execution;
- Provide detailed analysis of the fiscal policy;
- Analyse macroeconomic effects of specific policies;
- Collect and analyse data from relevant institutions;
- Brief the PMO on potential policy changes;
- Monitor preparation and implementation of specific initiatives that are identified;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Delivery Unit Coordinator.
Performance indicators for evaluation of results
- National Project Director’s satisfaction with provided services;
- Reports provided on time, in line with the quality standards and specific tasks assigned;
- Proactivity and taking ownership/initiative related to the assigned task.
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Client oriented: establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects;
- Good organizational and time management skills;
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling ethical standards;
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to critical feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Excellent information technology skills, including word processing, database applications, presentation software, and internet;
- Treats all people fairly without prejudice;
- Cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Required Skills and Experience
University degree in the field of economics, mathematics, engineering or natural sciences, from an accredited university. Masters degree or PhD preferred.
- Track record of a minimum of five years of working in finance, banking or government;
- Preferred work engagement with international organizations;
- Proven ability to deliver high quality output;
- Track record of preparing reports/documents;
- Strong network of national stakeholders, including public institutions, international organizations and businesses;
- Proven experience in macroeconomic analysis;
- Experience in working with relevant databases (e.g. Eurostat, IMF WEO, Statistical office of the Republic of Serbia);
- Sound understanding of Serbia’s current fiscal policy and familiarity with the key economic policy documents, including Fiscal Strategy and Economic Reform Program;
- Strong knowledge of Serbia’s arrangements with the International Monetary Fund;
- Close familiarity with Serbia’s European Union accession process;
- Good understanding of national and international institutions and their work; understanding of a national legal framework and international initiatives relevant to the sector;
- Full computer literacy in the use of MS Office package.
- Ability to deliver when working under pressure and within changing circumstances;
- Strong research, analytical and quantitative skills;
- Excellent writing/reporting and presentation skills;
- Excellent interpersonal, networking and team building skills;
- Readiness to share and exchange knowledge with the rest of the team.
Excellent knowledge of written and spoken Serbian and English.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Belgrade (Serbia)
- Grade: SB-3, Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement - Administrative support
- Democratic Governance
- Closing Date: 2018-07-22