National Programme Officer – Investigation Northeast Nigeria (Terrorism Prevention)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide substantive input on criminal justice, terrorism prevention and rule of law aspects for the planning, preparation, organization and implementation of project activities related to the investigation of terrorism offences in Northeast Nigeria. This will entail preparing substantive papers, draft concept notes, draft agendas and working documents for project activities; contribute to the substantive delivery of project activities, including elaboration and delivery of presentations
- Carry out substantive and organizational liaison especially with the project’s national stakeholders based in Northeast Nigeria. Coordinate and liaise regularly on project activities planning and implementation with relevant national partners (including designated focal points and other senior professionals), and international partners present in Northeast Nigeria. Facilitate the smooth and effective flow of communication with national entities, by maintaining regular contact, providing required information, etc. Support the Project Manager and Project Staff in following-up communication with beneficiary institutions, including official letters, request for technical assistance, and the process of identifying participants and national experts, including trainers, for activities under the project.
- Advise the Project Manager and Project Staff of local considerations and realities in Northeast Nigeria for proper and effective project implementation, as well as on ways to strengthen partnerships with beneficiary institutions.
- Provide support for the project’s overall management and coordination. Contribute to the preparation of project reports. technical briefings, background papers, briefing notes, and speeches related to the project.
- Carry out programmatic and administrative tasks necessary for the achievement of expected results of the project. Provide the necessary substantive and administrative support to project activities as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Professionalism: Demonstrated professional competence in crime prevention and criminal justice, crime investigations and rule of law matters, as well as, knowledge of related policies and practices at the national, regional and international levels; ability to identify and contribute to the solution of problems/issues. Shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Communication: Proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively with a range of audiences, including ability to prepare reports and make presentations in a variety of fora; ability to conduct presentations by clearly formulating positions on issues, articulating options concisely, conveying maximum necessary information as well as making and defending recommendations. Possesses excellent drafting and communication skills
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Planning & Organizing: Able to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate, and monitor work while prioritizing competing demands; able to work on tight deadlines; knowledge on how to develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and projects as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Required Skills and Experience
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Maiduguri (Nigeria)
- Grade: NO-C, National Professional Officer - Locally recruited position - Mid level
- Operations and Administrations
- Project and Programme Management
- Internal audit, Investigation and Inspection
- Criminology, Police Affairs and Anti-Corruption
- Closing Date: 2018-08-02