Local Security Assistant
San José (Costa Rica)
The United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) is responsible for providing
leadership, operational support and oversight of the security management system to enable the
safest and most efficient conduct of the security programmes and activities of the United
Nations System. The Division of Regional Operations (DRO) serves as the safety and security
focal point for the field duty stations, providing primary operational and technical support.
The Division is responsible for daily security coordination with the field. The advertised
position is a field position located in the UNDSS Costa Rica Office. The incumbent reports to and perform his duties under the oversight of the Regional Security Adviser.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists the RSA in collecting updating and communicating information regarding the security situation in the Country
- Liaises and coordinates, as appropriate, with the host government security organizations and/or personnel, including national and local provincial authorities, military, and police officers, as well as non-governmental organizations and other non-State actors in the area of operation;
- Helps to assess the security situation at the duty station and ensures adequate gathering and verification of security information that may be required for a proper analysis of the situation by the RSA;
- Communicates information on security to the heads of United Nations agencies and provides host country security advice to UNDSS in the absence of the RSA, as required;
- Maintains regular contacts with Security Focal Points of UN agencies;
- May be requested to provide technical assistance at SMT meetings, in the absence of the RSA.
- Carry out security assessments and take necessary action
- Carry out substantive assessment of the security situation at the duty station and ensure adequate collation and verification of security information;
- Carry out security evaluations and provide advice on security measures for residences (Residential Security Measures - RSM), as well as on the latest trends and threats to personnel safety and security;
- Provide recommendations regarding effective risk prevention and mitigation measures, including recommendations for possible support needs and improvements
- Track developing threats and related risks, reviewing the impact of security factors and risk on SMS, premises, assets, programmes and delivery;
- Conduct security assessments of UN premises and equipment and provide recommendations on risk management.
- Collect, update, and communicate security information
- Disseminate security information and measures to personnel;
- Disseminate analytical products and outputs to stakeholders;
- Develop, maintain, manage and implement country Security Plan, including personnel lists
- Help in the preparation and the review of the Country Security and provide technical support in its implementation;
- Supports actions during the implementation of the Security Plan as required
- Keep and update of information related to UN offices and residences
- Monitor the implementation of the Security Risk Management Measures (SRMM) established for the duty station/s
- Assists the RSA in monitoring the compliance and implementation of Security Risk Management Measures (SRMM´s) at the duty station.
- Supports in the Implementation of SRMM for premises and assets, systems and protocols, in accordance with organizational risk acceptance, ensuring the mainstreaming of security;
- Provide at duty station with prescriptive content such as policy, risk management methodology, SRMM and RSM;
- Provide technical support to security compliance input of all UN offices within the AOR;
- Report security incidents affecting SMS personnel, programmes, offices and assets
- Assists in reporting incident affecting UN staff, Offices and assets.
- Collate information and draft/prepare security reports, such as the Security & Safety Incident Reporting System (SSIRS),
- Carry out security evaluations and surveys;
- Develop accurate and timely written country briefings, quarterly activity reports and inputs to position papers from a field perspective;
- Develop and conduct training courses on security awareness, preparedness, and specialized security functions
- Provides support in organizing and conducting security training courses as well as Security Orientation briefings (SOBs) to new arriving staff members as well as other security briefings are required and instructed by the RSA
- Perform other security-related tasks assigned by the RSA including but not limited to:
- Maintain liaison with commercial companies used for security at common premises offices and residences, in order to ensure the effective and efficient use of the guard force as well with alarm companies.
- Provides support in conducting security evaluations and provides advice on security measures for the residences (Residential Security Measures - RSM) of UN staff (National and International) as well as on latest trends and threats to staff safety and security;
- Establishes and maintains warden system/ emergencycalling trees and keeps update of information related to UN offices and residences;
- Administers a pass and ID system;
- Maintains liaison with commercial companies used for UN security at offices and residences, in order to ensure the effective and efficient use of the guard force.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Client Orientation
- Planning and Organizing
- Strong knowledge of security and risk management
- Strong knowledge of local country’s security situation/ laws
- Ability to work under pressure and in crisis situations
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to be strategic and provide advice
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education. University Degree desirable but is not a requirement.
- 6 years of experience in security, preferably in the military or police context or related field of work. Prior experience with the UN system or an international NGO is desirable.
- Experience of conducting security risk assessments as integral part of operational planning and the enabling of operations is highly desirable
- Experience of disaster and/or conflict surge support is highly desirable
- Fluency in English is required
- Fluency in Spanish is required
- Knowledge of another UN official language is an asset
Other Skills and Requirements:
- Knowledge of HF and VHF radio operation is an asset;
- Experience in diplomatic security and protection is considered as an asset;
- Knowledge of host country safety codes highly desirable;
- Solid computers skills (MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
- Ability to travel
- Physically fit
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: San José (Costa Rica)
- Grade: GS-6, General Service - No need for Higher Education - Locally recruited position - Administrative support
- Security and Safety
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2018-07-22