National Programme Officer
The OCHA Regional Office for the Middle East and North Africa (ROMENA) is based in Cairo, Egypt, and covers 22 countries in the region by working closely with OCHA Country Offices and other humanitarian actors, playing a key role in dealing with the consequences of conflicts and disasters and coordinating humanitarian preparedness and response in support of national governments. By building strong partnerships with regional, national and non-governmental organizations, OCHA ROMENA boosts regional and country-level preparedness, making sure that a range of humanitarian actors are able to exchange important information and work towards common goals in a productive and coordinated manner. This is achieved through systematic engagement in response, advocacy, capacity Building, response preparedness and policy development.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Analyst, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Support implementation of the OCHA-League of Arab States (LAS) Plan of Action, including organizing capacity building exercises, joint advocacy events and briefings to LAS member states.
- Support the implementation of the OCHA-Turkey Plan of Action, including internal coordination with responsible Units within OCHA, and outreach and capacity building.
- Assist in the organization of meetings, conferences, workshops and other coordination and advocacy events; contribute substantively to the preparation of talking points, background notes and presentations.
- Research, analyze and present information gathered from diverse sources on assigned issues, such as humanitarian needs in the region; propose visualization ideas for the production of infographic materials; contribute to the publication of the ROMENA snapshots.
- Contribute to the preparation of a range of written and visual information products, including reports, studies, background papers, policy guidelines, correspondence, presentations, web stories and multimedia material.
- Support on emergency preparedness and response-related activities as a focal point for selected countries in the MENA region.
- Support ROMENA’s monitoring and reporting activities, including gathering inputs for Daily and Monthly reports to headquarters.
- Provide translation support as required.
- Carry out other required tasks and assignments in support of OCHA ROMENA’s work.
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are encouraged to:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark IVD);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
1. Support the successful implementation of the Plan of Action with the League of Arab States and Turkey.
2. Produce written and visual material for ROMENA’s communications platforms, to enhance advocacy on humanitarian issues in the region; contribute to the relaunch of the ROMENA Humanitarian Snapshots.
3. A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for development during the assignment, such as reporting on the number of volunteers mobilized, activities participated in and capacities developed.
4. A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for development during the assignment, such as reporting on the number of volunteers mobilized, activities participated in and capacities developed.
- Adaptability and Flexibility.
- Planning and Organizing.
- Working in Teams.
Required Skills and Experience
- Completed university degree (Bachelors) in political and/or social science, international relations, public administration, law, economics, engineering, earth sciences or related fields.
- Two years of relevant professional experience in humanitarian affairs, emergency preparedness, crisis/emergency relief management, rehabilitation, development or other related areas.
- Proven abilities in information analysis and strong English drafting abilities.
- Demonstrated initiative, problem-solving skills and ability to make sound judgment to ensure the effective and timely completion of complex tasks; ability to work under pressure, on occasion in a highly stressful environment (e.g. civil strife, natural disasters and human misery); good knowledge of institutional mandates, politics and guidelines pertaining to humanitarian affairs and knowledge of the institutions of the UN system.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Ability to coordinate their work with others, work to tight deadlines and handle multiple concurrent projects/activities.
- Fully proficient computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications, e.g. word processing, spreadsheets, internal databases, internet, etc. Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite software would be an asset.
- Excellent spoken and written English and Arabic required.
Computer skills: Fully proficient computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications, e.g. word processing, spreadsheets, internal databases, internet, etc. Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite software would be an asset.
United Nations Volunteers is an equal opportunity programme which welcomes applications from qualified professionals. We are committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture.
United Nations Volunteers reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this opening for other openings with United Nations Volunteers with similar assignment description, experience and educational requirements.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Cairo (Egypt)
- Grade: National UN Volunteer - Locally recruited Volunteer
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-07-19