Base Manager - Anbar
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
This position is based in Baghdad with frequent travel and overnight stays in Anbar (Falluja)
About the job
Provide leadership and management for Anbar based teams and the Falluja office and ensure coordination with internal and external stakeholders. Provides overall management of ongoing Camp Management projects in both camp and urban, returnee settings. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Provide oversight of program quality and ensure adherence to international minimum standards (SPHERE, etc.) for all sectors operating in Anbar in close coordination with the relevant Program Managers (Protection, Camp Management, Cash/Livelihoods, Shelter/WASH)
- Facilitate coordination, integration, and communication across sectors (35+ staff in total) operating in Anbar as well as adherence to country-wide strategy in close coordination with the relevant Program Managers and Country Office Technical Coordinators
- Provide direct management of all support functions in Anbar including logistics, procurement, finance, admin, HR, fleet, and office management; provide capacity building to the Support Services Team Leader as well as the Finance and Logistics/Procurement Officers to ensure efficiency of support services and adherence to the DRC Operations Handbook and other relevant policies and SOPs
- Responsible for all Safety Management in Anbar including updating of Local Safety Rules, Contingency Plans, and other documents; incident management; training of staff; ensuring the physical spaces (offices, community centers, etc.) meet minimum safety requirements; in close coordination with the South Central Safety Advisor
- Lead on coordination with other humanitarian partners operating in Anbar including co-chairing the OCHA endorsed Anbar Coordination Working Group convening all partners on a monthly basis; representing DRC at other coordination and donor meetings
- Focal point for all relationship management with local authorities (Governor, Mayors, Local Council members, police, etc.) in close coordination with the Anbar Liaison Officer ensuring DRC maintains a high level of acceptance to complete our work
- Provide inputs on South Central and country-wide strategy, advocacy efforts, and proposal development
To be successful in this role we expect you to have a Minimum of 5 years in the humanitarian sector including management positions. Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Previous international deployments required; experience in conflict zones desirable
- Previous experience in camp management a plus
- Previous roles emphasizing external coordination advantages
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required
- Strong diplomacy and proactive problem solving skills required
Expertise in management of teams required
- University degree; relevant field of study preferred (international affairs, international development, management, etc.)
- Working fluency in English required
- Arabic a strong advantage
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 12 Months
Level: A15 if on Expat contract. The applicable salary will apply if a national staff is selected according to DRC Iraq’s national staff salary scale.
Designation of Duty Station: Non family Duty Station
Start date: 15th September
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates/ Nationals; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 27/07/2018
Before applying, please ensure you have a valid passport.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
Due to the Urgency to fill this position, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and DRC reserves the right to conduct the interviews before the deadline.