Planning Officer, P-2, Mogadishu, Somalia #82907 (re-advertisement)
Provide high quality assistance, as well as management and monitoring support to the Somalia Office Representative in his/her oversight role and corporate responsibilities of managing a Country Office composed a Country Office based in Mogadishu, a Support Center based in Nairobi plus 3 Zone offices with over 300 staff. Also, responsible for the coordination of the Representative’s participation in/and scheduling of all external and internal meetings, including inter-governmental, parliamentary and inter-agency meetings, seminars, as well as official visits.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. And we never give up.
For every child, a champion
UNICEF Somalia played a key role in making sure that child-focused data, with attention to gender and minorities, was included in the country’s first national development plan in 30 years. We have been tackling issues such as child mortality, better access to health services, severe malnutrition, and stronger child rights. We are working with partners to address the alarming food insecurity and malnutrition levels in Somalia. We are supporting community based reintegration programs for children released from armed groups, and are working on developing a social protection policy. We are also conducting robust HACT implementation.
Join our team and help us make sure every child has a champion.
How can you make a difference?
- Take notes of discussions and prepares minutes and memoranda for the records.
- Keeps abreast with the main issues facing the office of the Representative and identify issues in need of Representative’s attention.
- Maintain records and track the status of the Head of Office’s action items, including his/her calendar.
- Analyze and collect information in support of milestone activities.
- Produce a variety of substantive and/or routine documents, official correspondence and letters, etc.
- Screen and review incoming correspondence (mail, email); collect background material; draft and clear correspondence with supervisor.
- Conducts research, handles information requests, and performs administrative functions such as arranging conference calls; and ensures scheduling and deconflicting of meetings.
- Select and compile background and briefing materials for all meetings, travel, conferences, fundraising etc. for the Head of Office and other officials as requested.
- Guide the Senior Executive Assistant in coordinating the schedule of the Head of Office, arranging appointments, booking meeting rooms, clearing invoices for payments, and producing/collecting and disseminating documentation.
- Monitors and keeps abreast of political and socioeconomic developments in Somalia, and of Regional and Global events and activities,
- provides political advice to management and UNICEF staff, and notes items of interest for follow up.
- Identify, request and screen materials for the collection.
- Oversee and ensure the smooth flow of information within the office and the duty station, as well as with Regional Office and Headquarters through daily consultations with the Representative.
- Screen requests, respond if possible or refer to a wide range of possible sources (inside and outside the Country Office).
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Education: University degree in international relations, social sciences, business administration or other related disciplines, is required.
- Work Experience: At least two years (2) work experience in a professional capacity in external relations, public affairs, general office administration or international development cooperation preferably within the UN or similar organization, government or NGO.
- Language Proficiency: Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of the local working language of the duty station is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The functional competencies required for this post are:
View our competency framework at: http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/UNICEF_Competencies.pdf
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
* Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
* Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Mogadishu (Somalia)
- Grade: P-2, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Junior level
- Operations and Administrations
- Closing Date: 2018-07-30