Digital Platforms Assistant, Multiple positions
Home Based (Home Based)
Background Information - Job-specific
Humanitarian.ID and HumanitarianResponse.info are digital services operated by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA). Their mandate is to strengthen the response capacity of the humanitarian relief community through the dissemination of reliable information on response, preparedness and disaster prevention.
OCHA is seeking individual contractors experienced in humanitarian information management to boost its ability to support and develop digital platforms.The individual contractor is expected to provide service during hours of operation specified in accordance with the operational needs. This position requires the individual contractor to work during standard office hours in different time zones, minimum of 20 hours per week and up to 5 days per week including Saturdays and/or Sundays.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of OCHA Field Information Services (OCHA FIS) - Platforms Unit and the overall guidance of the Chief of OCHA FIS based in Geneva, the contractor is expected to provide support to digital platforms, drawing on a) a good understanding of website management systems, principles of information management and familiarity with the information needs of the humanitarian community; and b) specialized language skills, regional and/or thematic experience for improved support.
Specific tasks require the contractor to assist with:
- Creation and customization of web spaces for operational response groups
- Troubleshooting and follow up on reported errors and bugs
- Follow up implementation of HID integrations with partners platforms
- Management of membership and roles for operational spaces, groups and contact lists
- Testing of new features and technical enhancements
- Requests for analytics and metrics
- Data cleaning
- Revision of tagging and formatting of content contributed
- Revision of operational web spaces and contact lists to ensure content is up to date
- Support the verification process for users and organizations
- Draft email campaigns, blogs, canned responses to users
- Provide inputs for the Community of Practice Newsletter
- Develop materials for social media
- Update the “About us”, FAQ and “Help” sections- Compile periodic analytics reports
- A high school diploma is required.
- A technical diploma in a relevant field may substitute 2 years of relevant experience.
- A Bachelor's degree in a relevant field is preferred and may substitute 4 years of relevant experience.
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field with some experience may substitute 5 years of relevant experience.
- Five years of experience with web content management systems including the use of taxonomy and content classification is required;
- Experience and fair knowledge of managing websites (basic html, markdown) and file management is desirable;
- Strong interest in international affairs, including emergency response, disaster management, peacebuilding and peacekeeping, conflict resolution, human rights and IHL is desirable;
- Knowledge of the international humanitarian coordination system, including key actors in emergency response is desirable;
- Knowledge of humanitarian issues in specific countries, regions or themes is desirable;
- Experience working with management tools like Trello, Jira and Flowdock is desirable
- Experience working as part of a virtual team is desirable.
- Written and spoken fluency in English is mandatory.
- Working knowledge of another UN language (French and/or Spanish) is an asset.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, as well as in a team is necessary;
- Flexibility in work days depending on the requirements by time zones and for the 24/7 coverage is needed;
- Ability to work off-site while maintaining communication with the editors through online communication tools is necessary;
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Development Group Cluster
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Home Based (Home Based)
- Grade: LICA-5, Local Individual Contractors Agreement - Administrative support
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Administrative support
- Design (digital, product, graphics or visual design)
- Closing Date: 2018-07-31