Head of Support - DR Congo
Goma (Congo Democratic)
Founded in 1946, today the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) works in both new and protracted crises across 31 countries. Our 6,000 employees provide life-saving and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. NRC specialises in six areas: food security, education, shelter, legal assistance, camp management, and water, sanitation and hygiene. NRC is a determined advocate for displaced people. We promote and defend their rights and dignity in local communities, with national governments and in the international arena.
NRC’s expert deployment capacity, NORCAP, boasts around 1,000 experts from all over the world who can be deployed within 72 hours. NORCAP experts help improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises.
NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.We are looking for a new Head of Support for our programme in DR Congo !
NRC has been present in DR Congo since 2001 and currently runs operations in the eastern provinces of North & South Kivu, Province Orientale and Kasai, with offices in Goma, Bukavu, Beni, Bunia and Kananga. The programme has an annual turnover of approximately NOK 140 mill. (2016). The DR Congo operation responds to populations affected by conflict and displacement. We reached 381.342 individuals in 2016 with education, food security, ICLA, WASH/shelter and emergency response.
The Head of Support reports to the Country Director
- Line management for support managers such as Finance, HR & Admin and Logistics (incl. ICT)
- Member of the Country Management Group (CMG)
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and handbooks and donor/auditor requirements
- Facilitate the support function`s strategic input to the development of the Country Strategy and Plan of Action
- Provide input on operational support in proposal development, and to coordinate and align operational support with programme plans
- Responsible for ensuring quality support to project implementation.
- Facilitate the Master Support Budget, country level budgets and BPO development, including assess and monitor costs and resource allocation needs
- Responsible for the strategic development of country structures, technical systems, human resource capacity and allocation
- Responsible for development of new country specific technical SOPs, guidelines and tools
- Responsible for organisational learning related to programme support
- Responsible for technical capacity building of support staff
- Minimum 4 years experience from a senior management position in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Allocation of resources and costs expertise
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in French and English, both written and verbal
- Valid driver’s license
- Working with people
- Strategic thinking
- Managing performance and development
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing resources to optimize results
- All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusiveness and accountability
- Commencement: October 2018
- Duration: 18 months (dependent on funding)
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions and free housing of moderate standard.
- Grade: 10
- Duty station: Goma with up to 50 % travels. Goma is a non-family posting. International staff members are required to live in joint accommodation.
- Approved health certficate will be requested before contract start.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Goma (Congo Democratic)
- Grade: Level not specified
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Banking and Finance
- Operations and Administrations
- Human Resources
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-08-01