ICLA Officer - Legal (only open for Afghan female nationality) Location: Kandahar - Afghanistan
Purpose of the Job:
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
The ICLA officer will help implement ICLA programme in the southern Region, focusing on Kandahar and surrounding areas. The aim of NRC’s information, counselling and legal assistance (ICLA) program support refugee and IDP men and women to claim their rights. Our aim is to empower people to survive displacement and build new lives. Whether they have just fled from their homes, have been displaced for a long time or are preparing to return home, displaced people often experience rights violations. They are often more vulnerable than the general population.
ICLA officer is the key staff working directly with displaced people. Technical assistant will report to the ICLA coordinator, working under the guidance of the ICLA coordinator and ICLA PM. She will be implementing ICLA program especially Legal section in southern region. Working closely with other NRC’s CCs. she will be expected to spend up to 75% of her time in the field, visiting beneficiary and local authorities etc.
Note: For more details about the position, kindly refer to the job description attached at the bottom
- Ensure compliance with NRC policies, guidelines and standards.
- Ensure compliance with CC strategy, tools, handbooks, guidelines and standards.
- Specific technical responsibility for the quality control of relevant activities/HLP cases.
- Specific technical responsibility for documentation of technical activities.
- Provide specific technical analysis and feedback to NRC representatives in coordination forums.
- Assess, promote and document ideas for technical improvement and further program development options.
- Ensure that he/she targets beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist.
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy.
- IF APPLICABLE: Monitor and document the implementation of project activities done by implementing partners and/or contractors (plan of action activities, contracts, financial expenditures and project documentation)
- IF APPLICABLE: Conduct quality control and provide technical support to implementing partners and/or contactors
- Provide free legal information, counselling and assistance to refugees returnees, IDPs and host community (beneficiaries) consistent with the applicable laws and procedures, including timely and appropriate follow-up appeals etc.
- Represent clients in courts, at attorney departments and other relevant departments.
- Remain updated on current legislation and legal developments in Afghanistan and international protection frameworks.
- Participate in Jirgas, following up cases and other activities as required.
- Participate in field visits for identification and follow up of cases, when scheduled.
- Participate in preparation of monthly reports, thematic reports, and correspondence with government officials and international organizations.
- Bring legal problems of clients to the attention of relevant departments/stakeholders.
- Represent NRC in national and international meetings, when requested and promote exchange of information with relevant external actors.
- Participate in NRC staff seminars and training, when scheduled.
- Respect the anonymity of clients approaching NRC and the confidentiality of information received from any clients at all time.
- Any other tasks as instructed by immediate superior.
- Experience from working within technical expertise area in a humanitarian/ recovery context.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Core competency expertise.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
- Knowledge of the context (humanitarian, political and security context of the eastern region).
- Bachelor degree in Sharia, Law and Political Science or any related field.
- Knowledge of the local language (Pashto and Dari) – if different than English.
- 2-3-years’ experience with start-up, exit or similar strategy of the organization.
- Ability to work as an effective member of the team.
- Ability to travel to field for extended periods.
- Understanding of issues faced by refugees, returnees and IDPs.
- Computer literate (Microsoft Office).
- Excellent counselling, communication, report writing and interviewing skills.
- Have AIBA license.
- Education title: Bachelor degree in Sharia, Law and Political Science or any related field.
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Monthly Salary based on NRC Afghanistan Salary Scale
- Top up Credit card on monthly basis
- Leave and Holidays accordingly Afghanistan Labor Law
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Kandahar (Afghanistan)
- Grade: Mid level
- Legal - International Law
- Legal - Broad
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Closing Date: 2018-07-30