Water and Sanitation Assistant (multiple positions), Multiple positions
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Job-specific
The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements projects on behalf of UN agencies and bilateral donors and in close coordination with the Government and national authorities. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development and technical management, and provides financial, human resources and infrastructure-related services. The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, to achieve the outcomes sought by the clients.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
Under the Supervision of the Project Manager:
Based on the staff rotation schedule, a Water and Sanitation Assistant should report to the General WASH Monitoring Assistant, and undertake effective monitoring of the delivery of both water and sanitation services.
Water and Sanitation Assistants (WSAs) expected to work 40 hours every week (excluding lunch and rest times) over 16 duty days in each month
*Specific responsibilities of the Water and Sanitation Assistant (WSA) include:
Main Functional responsibilities
Sanitation (Desludging) Monitoring:
- Maintain presence at the entry and exit points of the desludging trucks in Azraq/Za’atari refugee camps during working hours (06:00 AM- 05:00 PM) 7 days a week (every other day) according to the staff rotation schedule.
- Inspect each desludging truck exiting/entering the camp, to determine the volume of the loaded wastewater, plate number, sign vouchers as evidence etc.
- Log all details of trucks entering and leaving the camp and details of each desludging trip as per the standard recording and reporting templates.
- In emergency cases, WSA should monitor transfer of wastewater lorries/trucks to another.
- Ensure that all septic tanks are desludged according to the daily schedule.
- Observe and record any contravention of the process by the desludging contractor.
- Monitor the septic tanks and report any desludging practices, which might lead to wastewater contamination.
- Observe and report any spillages, environmental issues or possible contamination sources arising from desludging and discharging activities.
- Respond to complaints received through the hotline and follow up on cases related to wastewater.
- Monitor, accurately record and report the amounts of wastewater dispatched at Azraq/Za’atari Wastewater Treatment plant.
- Correlate the amounts of wastewater inspected at truckload inspection station with the amount of wastewater collected.
- Immediately report any operational issues that affect or might affect the normal desludging operations.
WSA may possibly be assigned to work on Water supply and distribution monitoring when requested/needed.
And duties are:
- Maintain presence at the three water points in Za’atari/Azraq refugee camp (including designated entry point for external trucks) during water supply operations.
- Monitor, accurately record and report quantities of water dispatched to the camp community from the water points of the camp.
- Perform random water quality tests on water coming into the camp, dispatched from the three water points, communal water tanks and household storage, and report any irregularities.
- Immediately report operational issues that affect or might affect the normal water distribution operations/water points.
Roaming Patrol Activity:
- Trace samples of water delivery to the district checkpoints and at filling points on block level and household level.
- Observe and report all damage or faults of water tanks, pipeline and other water supply structures in the camp.
- Record and report solid waste collection volumes and standards in the camp.
- Perform any other task assigned by the Project Manager.
- Collaborate effectively and responsively with the entire UNOPS team including focal points, and Project Manager.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Secondary Education is required. University degree preferably in Business Administration, Social Studies, Environmental Studies or other related field would be a considered advantage.
- 4-years’ experience of working with WASH TECHNICAL projects in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Experience from working with social work and/or with distribution of humanitarian assistance is an advantage.
- Previous years’ work experience in community based water, Sanitation programs; Work experience with an NGO is desirable
- Must have knowledge of emergency Water supply, Hygiene, Sanitation requirements and protocols
- Fluency in both English and Arabic required.
- Advanced Computer literacy especially in (Excel and Word).
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Local ICA Support
- Contract level: LICA 4
- Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Azraq (Jordan)
- Grade: LICA-4, Local Individual Contractors Agreement - Administrative support
- Administrative support
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Closing Date: 2018-07-24