Protection Assistant/National UN Volunteer
The Protection Assistant reports to the Associate Protection Officer. He/she assists in monitoring protection standards, operational procedures and practices in protection delivery in line with international standards. The Protection Assistant is expected to coordinate quality, timely and effective protection responses to the needs of populations of concern and identify opportunities to mainstream protection methodologies and integrate protection safeguards in operational responses in all sectors. He/she contributes to analysis of the national legislative framework related to asylum, nationality and statelessness and liaises with authorities and partners on protection to promote the revision of national legislation in line with international standards. To achieve this, the incumbent will need to build and maintain effective interfaces with communities of concern, local authorities and protection and assistance partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
The national UN Volunteer Protection Assistant will provide support UNHCR National Office in Kazakhstan in implementation of everyday activities.
Under the direct supervision of the Associate Protection Officer, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Analyse national legislation related to asylum, nationality and statelessness and practice of its implementation and formulate recommendations for improvement;
- Research best international practices related to finding solutions to refugee situations and reduction and prevention of statelessness;
- Conduct training activities on asylum and statelessness issues for the Government counterparts and NGO Partners;
- Monitor the work of Partners as they relate to statelessness;
- Provide counselling to stateless persons;
- Assist in advocating with the Government for development of national legislation to meet international norms and standards in the areas of asylum and statelessness;
- Perform other duties as required.
Required Skills and Experience
- Higher education degree in Jurisprudence, International Law, Social Sciences or related fields;
- Minimum two years of relevant experience;
- Proven communication and advocacy skills, and ability to work in an environment requiring liaison and collaboration with government representatives and NGO partners;
- Fluency in English and Russian. Kazakh is an asset;
- Good computer skills (especially Microsoft office applications) and ability to use information technology as a tool and resource;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and facilitation skills; as well as good organizational skills.
United Nations Volunteers is an equal opportunity programme which welcomes applications from qualified professionals. We are committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture.
United Nations Volunteers reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this opening for other openings with United Nations Volunteers with similar assignment description, experience and educational requirements.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Astana (Kazakhstan)
- Grade: National UN Volunteer - Locally recruited Volunteer
- Administrative support
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Closing Date: 2018-07-29