Mexico City (Mexico)
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Operations Manager, the Finance Associate provides leadership in execution of financial services in the Country Office (CO) ensuring effective and transparent utilization of financial resources and integrity of financial services. The Finance Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Finance Associate supervises and leads the support staff of the Finance Unit. The Finance Associate works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project teams in the CO and UNDP HQs staff to resolve complex financial management and operational-related issues and information delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Ensures administration and implementation of operational strategies, adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, and policies of financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and follow-up on audit recommendations; implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system including extra- budgetary income in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- CO Finance business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance in consultation with office management.
- Implementation of cost sharing and trust fund agreements, elaboration of conditions of contributions within the CO resource mobilization efforts.
- Elaboration of proposals and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies in consultations with office management.
- Financial analysis and oversight for all resources managed by the CO and provision of high quality professional advice to the CO Management
- Continuous analysis and monitoring of the financial situation, presentation of forecast for development and management projects.
2. Ensures administration of budgets and functioning of the optimal cost-recovery system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation and modifications of budgets for UNDP projects, follow up with HQs on authorized spending limits (ASL) for management projects.
- Establishment of criteria for pro-ration of Agencies contributions to the common services account, preparation and modifications of the common services budget and follow up on timely recovery of payments.
- Implementation of the control mechanism for development projects through monitoring budgets preparation and modifications, budgetary status versus ASL, follow up with HQs on ASL for development projects, maintenance of the General Ledger.
- Sending project budget to KK if authorized by the Senior Management (can be done only on the basis of signed prodocs and project budgets).
- Presentation of thoroughly researched information for planning of financial resources of the CO, reports containing analysis of the financial situation.
- Timely preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the services provided by, elaboration and implementation of the income tracking system and follow up on cost recovery.
- Management of all financial resources through planning, guiding, monitoring and controlling of resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations
- Monitoring of project´s budget in Atlas
- Analysis and reporting on the budget approvals and delivery situation of management projects
- Ensuring that advance payments and direct payments for NEX projects are properly reviewed and made on timely basis, as well ensuring that payment information is properly recorded into Atlas system on timely basis
- Ensuring that cost-sharing contributions are properly transferred to UNDP on a timely basis
3. Provides accounting and administrative support to the Finance Unit focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments, review of financial reports for NEX projects. – se repite en la parte superior
- Approval of vendors in Atlas (as a senior member of the Finance team).
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; payrolls are duly prepared; travel claims, MPOs and other entitlements are duly processed.
- Coordination and review of accounts closure
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers. Timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues.
- Maintenance of the Accounts Receivables for UNDP projects and follow up with partners on contributions.
- Timely VAT reimbursements, payment of GLOC by the Government.
- Proper receipting of goods and services and establishment of accruals.
4. Ensures proper CO cash management functioning focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements. Timely identification and recording of receipts for income application.
- Daily review of zero-balance account bank statements in Atlas to monitor imprest level; identification and recording of contributions.
- Alternate to Finance Analyst (or Operations Manager) as primary contact with local bank management on routine operational matters including negotiation of exchange rate on replenishment. May serve as member of bank signatory panel upon decision of Resident Representative.
- Approval and submission of monthly UN exchange rate report to Treasury.
- Timely and accurate preparation of bank reconciliations.
- Selecting bank transfers and deals for approval and settlements.
- Performing Paycycle manager role in Atlas.
- Timely preparation of monthly cashflow forecast for use by Operations Manager/Finance Analyst. Liaison with UN Agencies to obtain estimate of their cash requirements.
- Alternate as cashier for cash disbursements made on site.
- Daily review of zero- balance account bank statement in Atlas to monitor imprest level; identification and recording of contributions.
- Primary contact with local bank management on routine operational matters including negotiation of exchange rate on replenishments .
- Transactions and stop payment approval on internet banking system
5.Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of training for the operations/programme/projects staff on financial management.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in financial management.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
IV. Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall CO efficiency in financial resources management and success in implementation of operational strategies. Accurate analysis and presentation of financial information enhances UNDP’s credibility in use of financial resources and proper financial process management. The information provided facilitates decision making of the management. aqui recomiendo integrar lo correspondiente a programas Analysis and monitoring of the financial situation in close collaboration with Development, Programme, Operations, project teams in the CO and UNDP HQ staff ensuring successful CO performance in Finance.
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Tracks and reports on mobilized resources
Promoting Organizational Learning And Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks (broad range of specialized knowledge related to financial resources management, including formulating budgets, maintaining Accounts Receivables and Accounts Payables, reporting).
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Level 1.1: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Level 1.1: Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Makes recommendations related to work procedures and implementation of management systems
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion (incluir programas)
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for a variety of audiences
- Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Tracks bottlenecks, problems and issues, and proposes solutions
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Level 1.1: Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Maintains databases
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- 7 years of progressively responsible finance and accounting experience is required or 4 years of experience holding a Bachelors Level Degree.
- Experience in the usage of office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database package
- Experience in handling of web based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft.
- Knowledge of IPSAS and/or IFRS required.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Mexico City (Mexico)
- Grade: GS-7, General Service - No need for Higher Education - Locally recruited position - Administrative support
- Operations and Administrations
- Banking and Finance
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2018-07-30