The Bureau of Soils and Water Management (BSWM) of the Department of Agriculture has obtained a financial grant from the Global Environment Facility (GEF) and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) for the implementation of the project entitled “Implementation of Sustainable Land Management (SLM) Practices to Address Land Degradation and Mitigate Effects of Drought.”
The project focuses at the systematic and institutional levels and hence, strengthen the enabling regulatory, institutional and financial framework that would govern efforts to address land degradation in the Philippines. Key activities of the project includes workshops, trainings and the establishment of techno-demo farms.
The project has two demonstration/pilot sites – one in Malaybalay City, Bukidnon and the other in Abuyog and Sta. Fe, Leyte. To ensure quality implementation of project site-level activities, the SLM Project will need the support of field coordinators.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the National Project Director, SLM Project Focal Person and the Project Manager, the Field Coordinator for Leyte will carry out the following tasks:
- Monitor and document the “SLM2” sites in Sta. Fe and Abuyog, Leyte;
- Coordinate the farm planning at the local level;
- Monitor and report on the project status at the local level;
- Coordinate with the LGU (e.g. MPDO, MAO and MENRO) in implementing project activities;
- Assist the PMO, BSWM and the Consultants in the conduct of relevant trainings of target agencies and LGUs on SLM mainstreaming in CLUP;
- Assist the PMO and Consultants document outstanding SLM best practices;
- Assist the PMO and Consultants package SLM best practices for dissemination and replication through joint collaboration with DA, DENR, DAR and LGUs;
- Assist the PMO and Consultants edit and package the Project Reports (Monthly, Quarterly, Annual, Completion, etc.) as required by DA, BSWM, UNDP, NEDA and GEF.
- Perform other duties of similar nature assigned by the National Project Director, SLM Project Focal Person and Project Manager.
Specifically, the Field Coordinator will:
- Serve as focal person for various training, or provide additional local resource persons as may be needed;
- Coordinate with the Project Management Office (PMO) and pilot LGUs in scheduling activities and in making the necessary administrative and logistical arrangements for the delivery of training and coaching sessions;
- Perform the agronomic data collection and other monitoring activities as required by the SLM Specialist;
- Provide weekly reports to the PMO on activities conducted as well as the status of study sites; and
- Document the proceedings of each training and prepare a completion report.
Knowledge in government processes; Knowledge in agriculture and land resources management;
Displays cultural and gender sensitivity and adaptability;
Treats all people fairly and without favoritism; and
Shows strong corporate commitment.
Functional and technical competencies:
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to facilitate crucial decision making on operational matters;
- Ability to generate creative, practical approaches to overcome challenging situations in the field;
- Familiarity with government system and role of key stakeholders in the area of national development plans and programmes, local-level planning, and project management.
Management and Leadership:
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and responds positively to constructive feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrates excellent presentation skills;
- Excellent computer skills, and applications for report and project planning;
- Excellent organizational skills and proven ability to deliver projects within assigned deadlines;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and objectivity; and
- Experience working collaboratively in a team structure in a multicultural environment.
Required Skills and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Community Development, Agricultural Economics, Sociology, Social Forestry, Environmental Science, or other related fields;
With 3 years of experience in managing and/or implementing development projects, preferably in agriculture and natural resource and/or CCA-DRR related projects; has experience working with government, local or national agencies; has progressive experience in community development and/or organizing;
Good communication skills, including demonstrated written and presentation skills;
Demonstrated ability to work well in multidisciplinary teams and manage multiple tasks; and
Working knowledge in office software packages (MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
Fluency in Englist and Filipino; can speak the dialect in Leyte
Important application information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications with be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Tacloban (Philippines)
- Grade: SB-3, Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement - Administrative support
- Operations and Administrations
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-08-20