Administration and Events Management Intern
New York City (United States of America)
Background Information - Job-specific
United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) is an initiative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations, which responds to a broad consensus across nations, cultures and religions that all societies are interdependent, bound together in their development and security, and in their environmental, economic and financial well-being. The Alliance seeks to forge collective political will and to mobilize concerted action at the institutional and civil society levels to overcome the prejudice, misperceptions and polarization that militate against such a consensus. UNAOC hopes to contribute to a coalescing global movement which, reflecting the will of the vast majority of people, rejects extremism in any society.
On November 5-6 2018, the Alliance will organize the 8th Global Forum. Nearly 1,200 participants (state and non-state representatives) are expected to take part in the Forum and engage in various working sessions, plenaries and other important sessions.
An Organizing Committee for the 8th Global Forum of UNAOC has been set up to oversee all substantive and logistical preparations of the Forum. It will seek assistance to ensure smooth and timely delivery of expected milestones and outcomes of the Forum.
The intern will assist the Organizing Committee of the 8th UNAOC Global Forum and have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Assist in compiling technical requirements of all segments of the Forum (opening, closing, GoF, alumni/youth event, all breakout sessions);
- Assist in technical set up of exhibitions and other promotional events of the Forum;
- Support registration process and ensure smooth accreditation of various categories of participants of the Forum;
- Assist in updating tracking files, databases and other documents related to the logistics;
- Participate in the preparatory meetings of the Organizing Committee and relevant departments of the United Nations headquarters;
- Circulate UNAOC promotional documents (flyers, booklet, newsletters) prior and during the Forum;
- Take notes during preparatory meetings and in the context of the main sessions of the Forum;
- Provide logistical support in the office;
- Contribute to the overall work of the UNAOC Secretariat and take on additional tasks as and when needed.
- Currently enrolled in an advanced university degree or recently graduated with an advance degree within the last 4 years.
- Familiarity with the work of the United Nations Organization, its mandate, main areas of focus, United Nations bodies, agencies, entities and departments, current priority issues.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Very strong attention to detail and determination to meet deadlines
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view
- Ability to work under pressure and balance multiple tasks
- Computer literacy with strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Applicants must have an excellent knowledge of English with advanced written and verbal skills. Knowledge of other UN languages is an advantage
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: New York City (United States of America)
- Grade: Internship
- Conference Services
- Operations and Administrations
- Closing Date: 2018-07-24