Electrical Engineer Specialist
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the assessment of projects in liberated areas that have an electrical component including physical assessment and/or desk-review of reports of conducted assessments.
- Review the BOQs, specifications received from the local authorities and follow up finalisation of specifications with the respective authorities through verification.
- Support the preparation and/or finalization of site-assessment reports that inform further procurement activities.
- Execute the planning, design and implementation of electrical components of projects in accordance with FFS processes ensuring adherence to UNDP policies and procedures.
- Undertake site visits to project sites within the country, and conduct data collection, technical assessments of electrical components of projects, according to specific requirements and identified needs.
- Support the development of feasibility studies, analyzing pros and cons, benefits, budgets, risks and constraints, recommending best options and solutions.
- Support the development of concept, preliminary or detailed designs (preparing, writing and assembling drawings, layouts, masterplans, design calculations and technical specifications) requiring a detailed knowledge of the international (and local) standards and codes.
- Support the development of budgets or preliminary and detailed costs estimations to implement electrical components within the projects.
- Support the preparation of Specification documents, Project Proposal Documents, Scope of Works, and any similar documents.
- Provide technical guidance to engineers under supervision.
- Respond to queries arising from the procurement unit and review committees related to BoQs and technical specifications.
- Participate in Technical Review meetings and review bids against the advertised evaluation criteria and submitted technical specifications.
- Follow-up with contractors and national engineers overseeing the rehabilitation of electrical works at site, ensuring that the preparation and execution of the works are in accordance with the approved bill(s) of quantities and within the established time frame.
- Conduct regular site visits in conjunction with line directorates and end-users to identify any issues and take corrective action where necessary.
- Support FFS project team in developing and verifying the Variation Orders VO (if any).
- Conduct inspection, including inspection of material and equipment to be installed ensuring that the materials/equipment provided by the Contractor meets the agreed specifications and standards.
- Prepare project bi-weekly reporting on activities and provide outcome-level inputs to programme quarterly reports.
- Check and certify substantial progress/completion and the corresponding payments presented by the contractor. Advise UNDP to withhold payment for any work which has been rejected or any work which is not in compliance with the contract documents.
- Undertake field visits to ensure compliance and timely execution of the planned projects.
- Collaborate and coordinate with other UN agencies, government agencies, NGOs, and other organizations on engineering issues.
- Participate in the professional engineering community remaining abreast of latest development and professional norms, standards, tools and methodologies;
- Contribute to capacity development to enhance the enabling environment for greater national ownership of stabilization activities.
- Innovation: Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Leadership: Ability to persuade others to follow
- People Management: Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Communication: Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Delivery: Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Anti-corruption: Knowledge of anti-corruption concepts, principles and policies and the ability to apply in strategic and/or practical situations
- Knowledge Management: Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge
- Project Management: Ability to plan, organize, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals
- Relationship Management: Ability to engage and foster strategic partnerships with other parties, Inter-Agency Coordination and forge productive working relationships
- Strategic Sourcing: Knowledge of strategic sourcing concepts, principles and methods, and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in electrical engineering that is internationally recognized; or a bachelor degree with 2 additional qualifying years may be accepted in lieu of a Master’s degree
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in electrical engineering including supervision experience of installation of heavy electrical equipment such as Generators
- Experience in handling of tender documents for sizeable electrical engineering works, including technical inputs/specifications for the procurement of services using the conditions of international lending/funding agencies
- Experience with UN or international organization working in crisis-affected countries will be an asset
- Experience in project management is an asset
- Proficiency in written and spoken English
- Knowledge of Arabic an asset
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: erbil
- Grade: P-3, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Mid level
- Technology, Electronics and Mechanics
- Mechanics and Electronics (Engineering)
- Closing Date: 2018-07-26