Knowledge Management Specialist Consultant - Gambian Nationals Only
Banjul (Gambia the)
Advertisement For The Consultancy of a Knowledge Management Specialist Banjul, The Gambia - Gambian Nationals Only.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a fair chance
The achievement of UNICEF priorities in both development and emergency settings require sourcing of knowledge, its contextualization, evidence synthesis and uptake. This is premised on the belief that the quality of our programme planning, management and development results depends on the knowledge and capacity of staff and partners; that finding more effective ways to identify and share knowledge and solutions is critical for results for children. To this end, the Gambia Country office is seeking to strengthen the Country Office(CO) knowledge management (KM) and evidence eco-system with the engagement of a Knowledge Management consultant
How can you make a difference?
Supports the Country Office (CO) programme effectiveness by developing and implementing mechanisms to create, capture and share knowledge that can be used for programme design and review, strategic and operational decision-making, influencing and advocacy.
Support in adding value to the CO's partnerships through the provision of expertise and capacity development to implementing partners across key thematic areas. The consultancy will support the office in telling the Gambian story through proper knowledge management and documentation that will support public advocacy, internal & external communication and partnerships.
UNICEF The Gambia has adopted the term Nsa Kenno as the new approach to be used for the CO's social behaviour change communication, increasing community people's demand for basic services and ensure community engagement and participation.
- Conduct a desk review and documentation of current approach used by the CO's implementing partners in social behaviour change communication and demand for basic services.
- Conduct a process documentation of the new approach (Nsa Kenno) to be implemented by the country office to change social behaviour and increase demand for basic services in the selected two (2) region
- Identify, track and document best practices and lessons learned from the implementation of Nsa Kenno in the 2 regions.
- Provide support to the Representative in establishing guidelines, systems and procedures for the integration of the friends of children platform into the structure of the ministry.
- Collect information from beneficiaries and produce 2 Human Interest Stories on each of UNICEF's thematic area of work in The Gambia related to Nsa Kenno.
- Provide in-house capacity building on the understanding, application and sustainability of using a bottom -top approach in human right based programming
- Synthesize information and data from programme monitoring reports, donor reports from both implementing partners and government requiring advocacy, policy attention and response
- Propose guidelines and tools that enables systematic collection of knowledge for consolidation, analysis and sharing for organisational and external trainings and learning opportunities.
- Document and share knowledge gathered from CO's engagement with the vertical and horizontal, for learning and programmatic repositioning.
- Develop a knowledge management strategy that covers the CO's CPD programme cycle
- Develop 2 new knowledge products per each UNICEF thematic area of work in the Gambia that can be used for advocacy, learning and sharing, and fundraising.
- Identify knowledge and capacity gaps within programme teams and oversee development of tools and strategies to address the gaps.
- Develop and implement learning and knowledge sharing plan
The key deliverable expected during this period of consultancy are:
- Desk review conducted to take stock on social behaviour change communication and demand for basic services before the adoption of Nsa Kenno to enable learning on how Nsa Kenno can be implemented.
- The setup, implementation and documentation of ongoing work on NSA Kenno to support the office in implementation is done
- Document success, best practices and lessons learnt from initiating, and implementing social behaviour change communication and demand for basic service through Nsa Kenno.
- Visibility and communication on good practice and fundraising is provided and shared.
- Support to set up the friends for children platform is provided
- Minimum of five years of experience in an M&E, knowledge management and learning roles, with the last two years in a senior position, within a development context with a sound understanding of effective tools for M&E, learning and knowledge management
- Demonstrated experience in knowledge management and leading a learning agenda within an NGO, civil society organization or similar work environment
- Demonstrated experience in conducting or facilitating participatory monitoring, evaluation and learning initiatives
- Proven capacity to work with cross-functional teams in collating, managing, sharing knowledge and learning
- Sound understanding of project management with experience in the identification, design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development-oriented projects
- Knowledge and experience in social research methodologies and techniques and in Capacity building of staff and partner organizations
- Strong gender analysis skills and experience of integrating gender considerations into monitoring and evaluation
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the capacity to influence stakeholders at all levels
- Previous experience of managing and developing others with a demonstrated capacity motivate others
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The technical competencies required for this post are….
View our competency framework at
For full details of this consultancy, please see attachment: TERMS OF REFERENCE_KMC 1.docx
For details on the salary attached to the position please visit UN salaries site at: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salaries/gambia.htm and view under “National Officer Category” under Level “C” Step 1.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Banjul (Gambia the)
- Grade: International Consultant - Internationally recruited Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Education, Learning and Training
- Closing Date: 2018-08-01