Consultant for Local Self-governments and Civil Society Organisations (retainer position)
Background Information - Job-specific
The “Enhancing Good Governance and Social Inclusion at Local Level in Serbia” Programme (Swiss PRO) will improve local capacities primarily in 99 municipalities in Šumadija and Western Serbia, and South and Eastern Serbia regions to apply good governance (GG) principles in local policies and regulations and thus increase social cohesion. The Government of Switzerland has allocated USD 6.9 million (CHF 6.9 million) for the Programme, with the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) responsible for its implementation, in cooperation with the Standing Conference of Towns and Municipalities (SCTM).
The Programme has to fulfil two main goals:
- To contribute to the enhancement of organisations and officials’ knowledge and skills
- To positively change the scope and quality of public services rendered to citizens, especially to those from excluded groups.
Both goals will lead to improved regulations, institutional, technical and human capacities for the enhancement of e-services. In addition, capacity building will be provided to local civil society organisations (CSOs) as well as institutions dealing with social inclusion and gender equality.
Overall, this will contribute to the improved rule of law at the local level, increased accountability, transparency and efficiency and effectiveness of the local governments (LSGs), and ultimately improvement of quality of life of citizens, especially excluded citizens.
The Programme will coordinate its activities with the key line-national-level institutions, while observing the national strategies, laws and relevant development documents, which will contribute to sustainability, ensure national ownership and develop national capacities. The content and the scope of the Programme will significantly complement the European Union Support to Municipal Development – EU PRO Programme.
 The Programme will be implemented by UNOPS, with the EU funding of 25 million Euros, over 36 months and is focused on improving business environment for small and medium enterprises and entrepreneurs, including building infrastructure to improve local economy, quality of life and the efficiency of local authorities in property management.
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Programme Officer for Social Inclusion, and overall supervision of the National Programme Manager, the Consultant for Local Self-governments (LSGs) and Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) will be responsible for provision of technical assistance to at least 15 LSGs selected through an open and competitive process i.e. Public Call to improve the local governance with adoption/upgrading of policies and procedures pertaining to selection and awarding of local CSOs for implementation of projects of public interest.
More specifically, the Consultant for LSGs and CSOs will undertake the following activities/responsibilities:
Assessment of current local policies and regulations:
- Study the Swiss PRO Programme document and acquire necessary understanding of the context and the Programme’s objectives
- Prepare detailed work plan for the implementation of the activities that must include visits and consultations with the LSGs, CSOs, as well as consultations with the relevant national institutions such as Office for Cooperation with the Civil Society
- Visit at least 15 selected LSGs and conduct consultations with the key contacts of selected municipalities as well as local CSOs regarding current status of local regulations pertaining to defining of public interest in social inclusion area and selection process of local CSOs, as agree with the Programme Officer for Social Inclusion
- Prepare concept for capacity building of each 15 selected municipalities, as agreed with the Programme Officer for Social Inclusion
Conduct technical assistance to the LSGs:
- Provide expertise to selected LSGs to develop and improve the following:
- Local policy that defines the public interest in the interaction of the LSG and civil sector, based on which the themes for Call for Proposals will be defined
- Procedure for reassessment of the public interest
- Internal regulations and procedures regarding the allocation of funds to CSOs for projects of public interest which will be in line with newly adopted Decree related to financing of programmes of public interest implemented by CSOs that will be mandatory to apply as of January 2019.
- Mechanisms and tools for monitoring of projects implemented by CSOs and evaluation of their results which will be used by the LSG in the years to come.
- Identify issues and areas that need special attention and suggest measures for re-alignment to the Programme Officer for Social Inclusion
Prepare Final Report:
- Complete the report, within the last month of engagement, with conclusions on overall findings and recommendations for improving the selection process of the CSOs and recommendations for replicating the process in other LSGs.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferably in Law, Public Administration, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or relevant field is required.
- Master Degree in relevant discipline will be considered an advantage
- Minimum two years of work experience related to local and regional development in Serbia is required.
- Experience in dealing with LSGs required
- Experience in dealing with CSOs an asset
- Knowledge of the government structures, links, processes and pertained legal and regulatory framework at the local level relevant to the good governance and social inclusion is an asset
- Experience in developing and writing papers and policy level documents will be considered as an asset.
- Fluency in Serbian and English is required
- Driving license and ability to travel independently is required
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA)
Contract level: Local ICA 8
Contract duration: Eight months with possibility of extension
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background information – UNOPS Serbia
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Home based
- Grade: LICA-8, Local Individual Contractors Agreement - Junior level
- Civil Society and Local governance
- Documentation and Information Management
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-07-31