Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Job-specific
The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements projects on behalf of UN agencies and bilateral donors and in close coordination with the Government and national authorities. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development and technical management, and provides financial, human resources and infrastructure-related services. The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, to achieve the outcomes sought by the clients.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Head of Programme, the Programme Associate is responsible of the following tasks:
- Ensure effective support to the reporting function focusing on achievement of intended results
- Contribute to effective and efficient delivery of the PMO function
- Provide operational support to the Programme section
1. Ensures effective support to the reporting function focusing on achievement of intended results. Specifically, the Programme Associate will:
- Draft, review, and support the finalization of narrative reports for donors and partners;
- Under the guidance of the Programme Officer, follow up with relevant Project Managers and other relevant personnel in the preparation and/ or finalization of donor reports;
- Maintain the reporting matrix/tool, and review existing agreements in order to undertake donor reporting in a timely manner;
- Provide support to programme/ project staff to share knowledge and information as related to donor and partner reporting.
2. Contributes to effective and efficient delivery of the PMO function, with a focus on the following:
- Support the PMO Specialist in monitoring projects’ compliance with UNOPS Organizational Directives, Administrative Instructions and Project Management Manual;
- Develop and maintain projects’ tracking sheets of the Hub’s portfolio;
- Liaise with all Project Managers under the Hub to ensure all required project documentation and reporting is in line with UNOPS requirements.
3. Provides operational support to the Programme section focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Coordination and organization of meetings, workshops and learning activities/ trainings;
- Support and follow-up on recruitments for projects including drafting of TORs, preparing interview reports (if and when requested), and maintain a database on pending ongoing and upcoming recruitments;
- Liaise with the HR in the onboarding of project managers;
- Prepare spreadsheets, database files, presentation sets and other supporting documentation for the Programme Team ensuring appropriate style and accuracy of information by liaising with relevant colleagues from programme/ project, partnership, and/ or operations;
- Perform any related programme related functions as requested.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- A first university degree preferable in one or more of the following disciplines: international affairs, business administration, social sciences, economics, agriculture, environmental studies, development studies or another field relevant to international development assistance with 3 years of relevant working experience.
- 3 years’ experience in a similar field of work or exposure to programme management, and administration preferably with an International Organization is required. UN Experience is highly desirable.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Office 2010 and/or newer versions) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in written and oral English and Arabic required.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Local ICA Support
- Contract level: LICA 7
- Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Amman (Jordan)
- Grade: LICA-7, Local Individual Contractors Agreement - Administrative support
- Administrative support
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-07-26