SVN 2018/174 (P) - Programme Officer (SSI) (P2) - Mogadishu, Somalia
Position Title Programme Officer (Somalia Stabilization Initiative (SSI)) Duty Station : Mogadishu, Somalia
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 01 August 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cabo Verde, Czech Republic, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
The Office of Transition Initiatives (OTI) programme in Somalia (Somalia Stabilization Initiative (SSI)) is primarily a community-based, small grants initiative implemented in close coordination with the donor, with communities in priority areas, and with all levels of Government, particularly newly formed District Administrations and regional state institutions. The overall objective of the programme is to support the political transition of Somalia towards a functioning and stabilized Federal State through activities that promote good governance, consolidation of the federal structure, and a receptive environment to respond to emerging political contingencies. Under the overall guidance of the Programme Manager/Chief of Party, and under the direct supervision of Programme Development and Reporting Officer based in Nairobi the successful candidate will be responsible for monitoring and contributing to programme development within the SSI programme. S/he will be responsible for coordinating with the grant writers and field offices in South West and Jubaland to identify and develop relevant project opportunities and support the development of these project activities. S/he will also provide oversight to activity implementation managed by the Jubaland field office.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Coordinate and follow up on the design and development of new activities in line with OTI Page 1 / 4donor priorities and strategy, in close collaboration with the relevant SSI field offices. 2. Supervise staff within the Programme Development Unit, ensuring work is carried out effectively, accurately and in a timely manner.
3. Act as the focal point for keeping track of new ideas and funding to be committed to ensure uncommitted funds are planned for within a timely manner.
4. Contribute to developing and maintaining regular liaison with OTI on programme development including the OTI Deputy Country Representative.
5. Provide technical inputs and guidance to JSS and SWS field teams in the development of new grant ideas.
6. Provide technical inputs and guidance to the Grant Writers and other relevant staff for the design and drafting of grant activities.
7. Review the narrative and budget components of all grants and bring to the attention of the supervisor any shortcomings or gaps, particularly in relation to the grant development process, and the goals and objectives of the programme.
8. Support the management of field teams in Somalia, potential partners, and local government counterparts to facilitate a rapid, consistent flow of grant ideas.
9. Assist the Deputy Programme Manager / Deputy COP and SSI Field Coordinator in monitoring and guiding field teams in relation to programme development and implementation. 10. Support the Field Coordinator in overseeing the monitoring and management of ongoing activities.
11. Work closely with other SSI Units (M&E, Grants, Finance, Procurement, Reporting and Strategic Communications) in the development of activities to ensure the application of standard guidelines and procedures as per the programme strategy.
12. Contribute to regular updates to the Senior Management Team on all aspects of grant development and implementation.
13. Support the hiring and training of field-based staff, as well as provide operational guidance to the field staff in close coordination with the HR unit.
14. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or • University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• At least 1 year of work experience with USAID programmes, preferably with the Office of Transition Initiatives (OTI);
• Experience in project development and project management, complex project implementation, budget drafting, research, report writing, liaison with governments and international agencies; • Experience managing staff;
Page 2 / 4• Strong analytic and organizational skills; strong creative and innovative thinking skills; • Proven ability to work effectively in a complex collaborative environment, including government stakeholders.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Somali is an advantage. Desirable Competencies:
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 01 August 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Page 3 / 4Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 19.07.2018 to 01.08.2018
Requisition: SVN 2018/174 (P) - Programme Officer (SSI) (P2) - Mogadishu, Somalia (55576884) Released
Posting: Posting NC55576907 (55576907) Released
Page 4 / 4
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Mogadishu (Somalia)
- Grade: P-2, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Junior level
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-08-01