National Consultant – Translator in Bangladesh
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women will lead and coordinate the United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
Duties and Responsibilities
SCOPE OF WORK AND SPECIFIC TASKS:
The consultant will work under direct supervision of the Bangladesh Programme Specialist / Programme Analyst, UN Women Bangladesh Country who will be responsible for the quality assurance of the deliverables:
- Translation materials from English into Bangla;
- Translation materials from Bangla into English.
DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT AND DUTY STATION:The time required for the consultancy is estimated at 150 working days within the period indicated or maximum of 150,000 words of documents to be translated. The consultant will be engaged under a retainer contract, which facilitates direct engagement of the consultant depending on need and availability within the contract period for a pre-agreed fee.
FINAL PRODUCT AND DELIVERABLES:
Final copies of translated materials within the given timeline/deadline.
SCHEDULE OF PAYMENTS:
Payment will be based upon submission and satisfactory outputs/products in accordance with specified requirements.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN Women;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism;
- Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
Required Skills and Experience
- At least a Bachelor’s Degree in any related field.
- Minimum 5 years’ professional experience in English-Bangla-English translation preferably for UN agencies, and other development organizations;
- Familiarity with CEDAW, Ending Violence against Women, gender and development issues, women, peace and security terminology is an advantage.
- Fluency in both Bangla and English.
Interested candidates are requested to submit:
- Updated CV;
- Personal History Form (P11);
- Samples of works English to Bangla and Bangla to English;
- Financial proposal: the financial proposal (per page);
All applications must include (as an attachment) the CV and the financial proposal. Applications without financial proposal will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
. “Personal History Form - P 11” can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/en/about-us/employme
- Organization: UN WOMEN - United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women
- Location: Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
- Grade: National Consultant - Locally recruited Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Women's Empowerment and Gender Mainstreaming
- Translations and Languages
- Closing Date: 2018-07-25