Formulation of the Project Documents on Economic Governance and Governance of the Extractive Industries
Following a period of external evaluation of its 2012-2016 programme portfolio, the UNDP Mozambique Country Office is now in process of finalizing the formulation of a significant part of the 2017-2020 CPD projects. Economic Governance and Governance of the Extractive Industries are two of the projects in this situation. The CO previous experience with the economic governance areas was through the regional project PALOP/TL. Some of the lessons indicated that more support was needed for some of these areas and the CO is ready to provide it through a CO independent project. For the Extractive project, the previous Project Manager/Technical Advisor left Mozambique in October 2017 and since then the position is vacant. Given that the direct contact between UNDP and the IPs of both projects ceased for several months, it is important that the formulation process is carried out working in close collaboration and coordination with the national authorities at central and decentralized level. This will allow for a better tuned Project which will hopefully can capture major developments which might have occurred in the sector and needing to be reflected for the next programming.
Against this background the CO seeks to urgently recruit a national consultant, who is familiarized with the themes and with the public institutions functioning in Mozambique. The consultant’s main responsibility will be the formulation of Project Document of the Economic Governance project on the one hand, and on the other of the project on Governance of the Extractive Industries. As the Project Document on the Extractives was on an advanced stage of preparation, the consultant will be required to finalize the formulation. Following the formulation of both Project Documents, the consultant will be required to actively engage in resource mobilization for both projects, to allow for its initiation.
In view of the need to ensure resource mobilization to both projects as well as establish working relationship with the IPs on both projects, the consultancy will be for 6 months, starting on 5 February 2018.
Duties and Responsibilities
The overall purpose of the consultancy is the formulation of two Project Documents on the following areas: a) Economic Governance and b) Governance of the Extractive Industries The consultancy will include desk review of relevant documentation (to be provided by UNDP and national institutions), consultations and working meeting with the national institutions (at central and decentralized levels), organization of validation workshops, followed by resource mobilization and design of concrete roadmap (agreed by partners) on next steps to start implementation, non- later than the second half of 2018.
The desk review, should include a strong understanding of UNDP Strategic Plan (specifically regarding the thematic focus and targeting) and Integrated Result and Resource framework, a deep understanding of UNDP new Project Quality Assurance criteria, as the project will be assessed using these criteria, and a deep understanding of the new monitoring policy and requirements.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UNs values and ethical standards;
- Advocates and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability; and Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Ability to adapt in new working environment;
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written); and
- Strong writing skills and use of UNDP logic framework for project formulation;
- Demonstrates sound knowledge of UN rules, regulations, policies, procedures and best practices in the electoral assistance field.
- Displays analytical judgment and demonstrated ability to handle confidential and politically sensitive issues in a responsible and mature manner;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work effectively independently;
- Self-management, ability to respect deadlines.
- Strong leadership and planning skills;
- Excellent written and presentation skills;
- Strong communication skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Ability to network with partners on various levels;
- The necessary computer skills with competence in MS office package.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum Master’s Degree in Economics, Business Administration, Public Finance or Law, Political Science with equivalent professional experience on the first area.
- Minimum 7 years specialized experience in public finance, budgeting process, or on governance of the extractive industries
- Extensive knowledge of budget cycles, the work of Parliamentary Specialized Committees, of supervisory processes and parliamentary scrutiny;
- Deep knowledge of parliamentary law, the administration of parliaments, support to the legislative services/functions of the Parliament;
- Proven practical experience in UNDP and other development partners project and programme formulation using results-based management principles. Knowledge of UNDP Strategic Plan and of the new UNDP policies regarding Project quality assurance and monitoring is an asset;
- Experience in mainstreaming gender in projects/programmes and identifying initiatives in supporting the achievement of the MDGs and SDGS, will be an asset;
- Knowledge of extractive industries in Mozambique is highly desirable.
- Fluency in Portuguese;
- Working knowledge of English is highly desirable.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: maputo
- Grade: National Consultant - Locally recruited Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- International Relations
- Public Policy and Administration
- Development Cooperation and Sustainable Development Goals
- Democratic Governance
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-07-27