The Programme Specialist will backstop the Country Director in the oversight of the Programme Unit within the thematic area of Governance, and Social Cohesion. She/he will provide policy and programmatic guidance to other members of the Programme Unit, especially regarding cross cutting issues on Governance and Social Cohesion, and inclusive growth. In addition, the incumbent will undertake a leadership role in fostering inter-thematic discussions in a cross cutting relationship collaboration with the focal points of the transversal areas (South-South Cooperation, Gender, etc.).
Moreover, in close collaboration with the Policy Advisory Services’ team, the incumbent’s lead role in the Programme Unit is to promote the inclusion of cross cutting programme considerations in the country programme with special focus to the rights of vulnerable groups and constituencies (women, youth, disabled, ageing, indigenous groups, people living with HIV etc.). Thus, she/he must have an excellent capacity to engage a diverse stakeholder base and to effectively network for solid partnership building (public-private, civil society, South-South, etc.).
In close collaboration with the Country Director, the Programme Specialist supervises the performance of the team in strategic planning, implementation, identifies areas for appropriate programme interventions based on solid analysis of political, social and economic trends of relevance, while ensuring consistency with UNDAF/CPD priorities. Additionally, the incumbent will also lead the programme unit’s efforts in the identification of creative and innovative responses to emerging challenges and opportunities, formulation and management of the cluster’s programmes and projects, and monitoring and evaluation of programme activities (in close collaboration with the M&E Officer).
The incumbent will contribute to the promotion and observation of the UNDP Gender Equality Strategy in all programmes and projects under her/his management as well as support the Youth Global Programme for Sustainable Development and Peace – Youth-GPS (2016-2020). The incumbent works in close partnership with the Operations Unit, programme staff, other UN Agencies, UNDP HQ and RSCA staff, Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UNDP programme implementation.
Incumbent will approach work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude and display a strong client orientation. As such s/he will display flexibility in performing other emerging tasks assigned by RR/RC, CD or supervisor/manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Ensuring the implementation, managerial leadership of programme strategies in the UNDP CO in Mozambique in the areas of Governance and Social Cohesion.
- Management of the Governance and Social Cohesion and Social Cohesion programme.
- Ensuring Policy Development and Fostering Innovation
- Creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy.
- Provision of top quality policy advice services to the Governments and facilitation of knowledge building and management.
- Represents and leads UNDP’s contribution to relevant UN Country Team Outcome Groups.
1) Ensures the management of the Governance and Social Cohesion Cluster and the implementation of programme strategies and Policy Advice focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provision of policy and programmatic guidance to Programme staff to ensure a coherent implementation of the CPD 2017-2021 and to articulate the focus on capacity development across practice areas.
- Provision of policy advice for the design and implementation of strategies plans and programmes in poverty reduction, SDGs achievement, and support the development of statistical data and qualitative evidence to improve policy outcomes leading the discussions between the programme thematic team leaders and the Policy Unit.
- Ensure Technical, Advisory, and managerial leadership of the Governance, Inclusive Growth, and Social Cohesion Cluster with a view to provide a coherent and sound advice in the thematic areas under its purview.
- Identification of areas for support and interventions within the thematic/sectoral areas assigned.
- Conduct UNDP Mozambique business process mapping and contribute to preparation of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Results Management and Internal Control Framework
2) Ensures effective development, management and oversight of the CO programme on the Governance and Social Cohesion focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the country programme achieving the following results:
- Contribution to corporate planning, evaluation and results reporting (UNDAFs, CCA, Sub-Regional Programme Document (SRPD), Regional Programme Document, ROARs, IWPs, donors, etc.).
- Backstop the Country Director in the oversight and Management of the Programme Unit.
- Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets (BSC), and monitoring achievement of results. • Design and formulation of CO programme within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP’s priorities into local interventions. Coordination of programme implementation with the executing agencies. Introduction of performance indicators/ success criteria, cost recovery, targets and milestones.
- Strategic oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of the programme, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations. The Programme Management Specialist performs the function of Manager Level 2 in Atlas for development projects transactions approval.
- Effective monitoring, measuring the impact of the CO programme within the area of responsibility and evaluation. Constant monitoring and analysis of the programme environment to perform a timely readjustment of the programme if needed. Assess project-specific M&E frameworks and ensure that the monitoring and reporting requirements for all projects are met consistent with UNDP’s POPP, including on planned evaluations in collaboration with the Strategic Unit.
- Substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and programme issues, development of solutions. Participation in audit of NIM projects.
- Follow up with clients on audit recommendations and provide support to PSU to address audit gaps.
- Represent UNDP in UN-initiated activities and associated Technical Working Groups of relevance to assigned area of work.
- Contributions to HACT and IPSAS compliance and assessments as required.
- Coordination of programme implementation with the executing agencies. Introduction of performance indicators / success criteria, cost recovery, targets and milestones
3) Ensures policy development and fostering innovation on cross-cutting themes for governanceand Social Cohesion portfolio focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Management and conduct of research and knowledge product development on inclusive growth and social policies to support Country Offices’ policy development need and foster innovation in areas such as: o Economic policy, institutional structures and financing tools at the national and sub-national level needed to promote inclusive growth and sustainable development management;
- Social policies and social sector reform; o Youth employment and policies for youth;
- Role of social enterprises and/or organizations;
- Community-based economies;
- Private sector engagement and public-private partnerships;
- Local green economy and greening urban development.
- Review and assessment of existing national and local policies relevant to inclusive growth and prosperity, with the objective to identify gaps and opportunities for development of new policies and to guide overall priorities and workplans and budgets.
- Initiate and take part in the process of analyzing, improving and adapting national and local policies for different contexts on key emerging agendas to promote inclusive Governance and Social Cohesion approaches for development.
- Contribution to the development of guidance on inclusive growth, and related tools for the implementation of global policy standards, including coordinating testing and rolling out of tools and methodologies.
- Support to the quality assurance of policy services and fostering of policy innovation on Governance to strengthen programme delivery.
4) Ensures creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy in cooperation with the CO, other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff, and the private sector focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Implementation of the Office partnerships and resources mobilization strategies to achieve programme outcomes within the areas assigned.
- Development of strong working relationships with Implementing Partners and provide direct oversight and management of national and regional projects.
- Creation and coordination of partnerships with the relevant civil society organizations, UN Agencies, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, etc. Determine programmatic areas of cooperation, based on strategic goals of UNDP in the thematic area, gender equality priorities in the country and ability to engage development partners.
- Determine programmatic areas of cooperation, based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing.
- Follow up on resource on mobilization activities for fund raising for new projects in coordination with the Country Director.
5) As a senior technical expert, ensures proactive provision of top quality advisory services to government and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of country profiles, briefs, and programme strategies and maintains up-to-date records on socioeconomic data, particularly which related to poverty eradication, socio-economic policies for inclusive growth
- Prepares background papers and situation analyses on the economic, social and poverty situation of the territories concerned and their development plans.
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to regional and programme country policy goals.
- Support to development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners and other UNDP Offices.
- At the request by the Country Director, provision of support to other country offices’ needs.
- Liaison with key development partners, implementing partners, and collaborating partners as needed, including Development Partners in cross cutting activities and other emerging poverty reduction and social policies’ needs.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice in close collaboration with the Communications Team.
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme issues. Facilitation of the generation of knowledge products by the Programme team.
- Establishment of advocacy networks at national level and linked to international networks. Active participation in strategic advisory groups in the country and the region.
- Close collaboration with the Communication Analyst on communication and publication, geared toward influencing the development agenda, promoting public and media outreach, and mobilizing political and financial support for UNDP.
6) Manages the HR team:
- Provision of day to day supervision of the assigned unit, effective direction to and empowerment of member(s) of the team.
- Management of team in compliance with corporate human resources policies and strategies.
- Management of team and individual performance.
- Support of supervisee(s) in facilitating their learning and development.
- Support of supervisees in maintenance of their health and well-being, safety and security.
Ability to make new and useful ideas work - Level 5: Creates new and relevant ideas and leads others to implement them
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement - Level 5: Critically assesses value and relevance of existing policy / practice and contributes to enhanced delivery of products, services, and innovative solutions
Management and Coordination
Ability to manage and coordinate campaigns and people with inspiration. Believe in and promote diversity in the workplace and reshaping the workforce to meet need. - Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside (Programmes/projects) or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance, and support. Sets overall direction for the formation and management of strategic relationships contributing to the overall positioning of UNDP - Level 5:Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Ability to analyse the organization’s value proposition and shape visionary/long term plans. Use insight to identify target audiences and partners and to inform communication objectives, messages and solutions. - Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Knowledge of mechanisms, methods to and the ability to contribute through dialogue and consultation in preventing conflict.- Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
of political and economic processes in a society; including distribution of power and wealth between groups and individuals, and the processes that create, sustain and transform these relationships over time, and how these dynamics both affect, and are affected by UNDP's development support- Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Knowledge of Post-Crisis Governance concepts and principles and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations - Level 5:Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Influencing and Agenda setting
Ability to plan and deliver communication initiatives that make an impact, persuades intended audiences, shapes perceptions of the UNDP and creates positive demand for UNDP's value propositions - Level 5:Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's degree or Bachelor’s in law, social policy, public policy, politics, economics, development studies or a related area.
- Master’s Degree with 5 years or Bachelor’s with 7 years of progressively responsible work experience in international development with experience in policy design on law, public administration, international relations or related
- Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working in the UN System is an asset.
- English and Portuguese Proficiency.
- Other official language of the UN will be desirable.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: maputo
- Grade: NO-C, National Professional Officer - Locally recruited position - Mid level
- Democratic Governance
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-08-03