Re- advertisement: Monitoring & Evaluation Officer - PVE - SC 9 - Amman, Jordan
In 2017, the Government of Jordan established a Prevention/Countering Violent Extremism (P/CVE) Unit to provide specialized diagnosis, resources and activities on radicalization. The duties of the Unit are to: identify motives and drivers of radicalization; conduct and gather studies and research; build national capacities; establish strategic communications; develop and monitor key performance indicators; and support the efforts of the state in developing strategies to combat ideological radicalization and extremism. The Unit is seen as a key element of supporting the design and implementation of the governmental National Action Plan on PVE and engages with all related actors, including line ministries, agencies, civil society and the international community. The Unit is established under the auspices of the Ministry of Culture and works in close liaison with other governmental structures. A key element of the work of the P/CVE Unit will be to undertake effective monitoring and evaluation (M&E) of P/CVE initiatives implemented in Jordan, and to coordinate with relevant actors to ensure the impact of the work is in line with the National Action Plan in ensuring maximum impact and results against defined quality criteria.
In support of these efforts by the P/CVE Unit and the Government of Jordan, the UNDP Jordan Support to Preventing Violent Extremism in Jordan Project aims to strengthen national efforts at reducing the threat of radicalization and violent extremism. The work of UNDP in this area is delivered through its Community Security and Social Cohesion (CSSC) Team, supported through funding from the Governments of Japan and Canada, and which is closely aligned to regional and global activities by UNDP, such as the April 2018 publication “Improving the Impact of PVE programming: design, monitoring and evaluation.” UNDP has been asked to provide direct technical support to the work of the P/CVE Unit in the development and implementation of its M&E capacities and activities. In this regard, UNDP seeks to recruit an M&E Specialist to provide relevant technical advice, assistance and support to the P/CVE Unit in the establishment of an effective and sustainable M&E framework and in developing its M&E capacities and activities in all areas.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall contractual supervision of the Senior Programme Officer, the M&E Specialist will work under the management and guidance of, and will report directly to, the P/CVE Unit Director.
The M&E Specialist will support the P/CVE Unit in developing a specific monitoring and evaluation framework and plan for the National Action Plan, undertake regular monitoring, as well as build related M&E capacities and undertake specific activities to measure the impact, monitor context and follow-up on implementation towards the strategic vision and that its activities result in the achievement of its intended outputs.
The M&E officer will be responsible for designing and implementing the M&E activities of the Unit; assisting the Technical Advisor on PVE in preparing Quarterly/Annual reports on progress, developing the M&E strategy, and work with others to increase capacity, and ensure data is being collected. He/she will work closely with all members of the Unit team, the Technical Advisor, and the Unit Director. Full confidentiality of the work of the Unit is expected at all times.
Support development of monitoring and evaluation strategies and indicators;
Management of the monitoring and evaluation process;
Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in monitoring and evaluation;
Draft monthly, mid-year and annual report based
Proactively gather information from relevant partners to share and report progress
Utilize UNDP global toolkit for design, monitoring, and evaluation of PVE programmes to develop sound monitoring practices on PVE and in particular work together with experts to develop an M&E strategy for the NAP.
Design and propose suitable data collection methods and implement the use of these as relevant, drawing upon data from various stakeholders and government partners.
Support the Unit in obtaining up-dated understanding of the challenges in regard to violent extremism in Jordan.
Support trainings for the unit, and related government ministry focal points on monitoring of PVE and follow-up on the trainings;
Monitor the activities and progress towards achieving the NAP on PVE outputs and report on progress;
Assist the Unit Director in the preparation of reports on the findings and lessons learned from the implementation of the NAP on PVE and
recommend further improvement of the NAP logical frame work;
Suggest strategies for improving the efficiency and effectiveness by identifying bottlenecks in implementing the NAP on PVE suggestions to adjust;
Participate in the Unit team meetings; annual NAP on PVE/Unit reviews and planning workshops and assist the Chief Technical Advisor on PVE and the Unit Director in preparing relevant reports;
Assist in coordinating across the available components of the NAP on PVE to ensure effective implementation of M&E; and
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Organizes and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationship;
- Plans, coordinates and organizes workload while remaining aware of changing Priorities and competing deadlines; and
- Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support.
- Knowledge Management and Learning
- In-depth knowledge on MIS, M&E and development issues;
- Excellent knowledge of monitoring and the application of methodology: Good understanding of capacity assessment methodologies; excellent ability to identify significant capacity building opportunities;
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral): Sensitivity to and responsiveness to all partners, Respectful and helpful relations with donors and Unit staff; and
- Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change.
- Focuses on result for the client;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view; and
- Solicits feedback from staff about the impact of his/her own behavior;
Required Skills and Experience
Bachelor degree in business administration, local development, economics or relevant field.
- Over five years of experience monitoring and evaluation;
- Experience in designing tools and strategies for data collection, analysis and production of reports;
- Experience in working with national government organizations, with development actors, civil society, UN or related development organizations;
- Strong analytical capability, openness to change and ability to receive and integrate feedback;
- Language: Fluency in both English and Arabic
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: amman
- Grade: SB-4, Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement - Junior level
- Criminology, Police Affairs and Anti-Corruption
- Poverty Reduction
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Closing Date: 2018-07-27