Local Individual Consultancy for Design and Development of Business Operations Strategy (BOS) Document
The UN General Assembly has repeatedly called for the UN System to harmonize business operations, with the aim of reducing operational transaction costs and duplication of the operational support to programme delivery. For this purpose, the UN Development Group (UNDG) High Level Committee on Management (HLCM) was mandated to work with UNCTs to improve programme and business operations.
In line with the global corporate efforts for harmonization of Business Operations of UN Agencies, the United Nations Kosovo Team (UNKT), has also prioritized for 2018, development of a BOS Document for UN Agencies in Kosovo participating in the process of developing the strategy, which are UNDP, UNICEF, UNFPA, WHO, UNWOMEN, IOM, UNHCR UNHABITAT and UNOPS. A full list of resident and non-resident UN agencies in Kosovo can be found here: http://unkt.org/un-agencies/.
The key results that the UN Agencies in Kosovo aim to achieve through BOS are; “Reduced costs”, “Enhanced quality”, “Enhanced operational focus and prioritization” and “Enhanced ability to monitor progress and track results”.
Further to assessment of the current requirements for efficiency of action of UN Agencies which are operating in Kosovo, UNKT has decided that the BOS will utilize a light version of BOS within few selected areas where the benefits for the UN Agencies can be maximized. The design and development of the light BOS will take place in 2018 led by the Operations Management Team (OMT) as per the OMTs 2018 Work-plan.
The OMT members and the UN Agencies in Kosovo are familiar with the BOS, since the previous OMT workplans have been developed and performed around BOS Framework, using corporate BOS tools. To ensure streamed flow of the work on the design and development of this highly important process, for the UNKT, the OMT will appoint a “BOS Task Force” which will closely monitor and approve the stages of BOS design and development.
As the design and development of a BOS Document will require specialized and concentrated efforts as well as close working relationship with all UN Agencies, the OMT has decided to deploy a “BOS Consultant” who will be designing and developing the “BOS Document”. This Terms of Reference focuses on the duties and responsibilities of the BOS Consultant.
The detailed information on BOS Framework can be found through the following link:https://undg.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/UNDG-BOS-Guidance-2016-EN-1.pdf
 This designation is without prejudice to positions on status, and is in line with UNSCR 1244/1999 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence.
Objectives of Assignment
Develop and finalise a “BOS Document.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Individual Contractor will work under direct supervision of the OMT Chair through, and in close collaboration with, the BOS Task Force. He/she will report to the BOS Task Force who is responsible to approve and accept outputs and performance on behalf of the OMT. During the contract period, the contractor is expected to interact with various OMT Working Groups and specific UN agencies as necessary.
To achieve the above final deliverable, the Consultant shall develop and design a “BOS” for Kosovo that will outline main areas of inter-agency harmonization and operations activities planned to support the current UN Common Development Plan implementation cycle (2016-2020), in close collaboration with Kosovo OMT and its technical working groups (Procurement, HR and ICT).
Within this framework, the proposed pillars of the BOS under which the analysis shall be conducted include Procurement, Human Resources and Common services / Common premises (areas to be decided among OMT members) respectively based on the work of the OMT Working Groups and the current context in Kosovo.
To be able to produce her/his ultimate deliverable “BOS Document”, the Consultant shall undertake activities, including but not limited to the followings:
a. Methodology and Steps to be Followed
- Development of required data collection templates and sharing with UN Agencies
- Actual collection of operational data from each UN Agency through directly working with the UN Agencies’ staff, to determine current status.
b. AnalysisPerform Stock-Take/ Baseline Analysis:
- Develop the list of Current Service Offering on Agency basis as well as within the context of common services
- Develop a “Baseline Report” that contains clear baseline indicators at the pillar and outcome levels and “Common Services Priority Ranking”
Perform Needs/ Opportunities Analysis:
- Develop the list of “Current Needs and Opportunities for UN Agencies in Kosovo”
Perform Cost-Benefit Analysis and Prioritization:
- Develop a “Cost-Benefit Report” that identifies and ranks common services by contextual relevance and benefits, cost-saving facilities, UNKT and OMT capacity for Light BOS development and implementation
Develop the BOS Results Framework/ Narrative:
- Review and finalize outputs per outcome
- Identify and set baselines, targets and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for 2018 onwards at outcome level with required resources (budget)
- Include indicative resource requirements at outcome level
- Propose lead agencies at the output and activities level
Develop the Annual Work Plans
- In cooperation with OMT and BOS Task Force and based on the available information, formulate activities with related costs per output for 2019 and 2020 as per UNDG template
d. Development of BOS Document
- Prepare the “BOS Document” with all supporting reports and analyses
- Present the “BOS Document” to BOS Task Force, OMT and UNKT and revise as needed, as per the feedback to be provided by those.
Estimated Duration to Complete
Target Due Dates
Conduct data collection and analysis of processes and procedures from UN Agencies present in Kosovo.
Conduct a workshop with OMT and Working Groups i.e. business prioritization exercise to determine strategic operational services and produce a cost benefit analysis and prioritization
Review and finalize outputs per outcome. Identify and set baselines, targets and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for 2018 onwards at outcome level with required resources (budget). Include indicative resource requirements at outcome level. Propose lead agencies at the output and activities level.
Formulate activities with related costs per outputs for 2019 and 2020 as per UNDG template.
Present “BOS Document” which includes Business Operations Results Framework, reflecting medium-term outcomes/outputs and Business Operations Governance Mechanisms, to BOS Task Force and revise as per the feedback provided.
Conduct a Joint UNKT and OMT “BOS Validation Workshop/Meeting” with stakeholders.
Finalization of BOS.
Deliverables / Final Products Expected
The final list of expected deliverables includes:
- Stock-taking/Baseline Analysis
- Needs and Opportunities Analysis
- Cost Benefit Analysis and Prioritization
- BOS Results Framework/ Narrative
- Annual Work Plans for 2019 and 2020
- BOS Document
- Validation Report for “BOS”
- Final UNKT Approved “BOS Document”
Scope of price proposal and schedule of payments
The Individual Contractor shall provide a Lump Sum Amount which must be all-inclusive and fixed regardless of changes in the cost components.
The Consultant will be hired under an Individual Contract and be paid on the basis of the submission of outputs detailed in this Terms of Reference upon acceptance and approval of the outputs by BOS Task Force. Without submission and approval of the outputs, the Consultant shall not be entitled to receive any payment even if he/she invests time in the assignment.
Recommended Presentation of Offer
The following three documents must be submitted in order to be evaluated and considered for the assignment:
- Personal CV and P11: indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate and at least three (3) professional references;
- Technical proposal: a max. 2-page document briefly outlining the methodology envisaged for the assignment for delivering the expected results within the indicated timeframe (an interview may be conducted for the shortlisted candidates);
- Financial Proposal: The consultant is expected to provide an all-inclusive lump sum amount/ financial proposal. The Offeror must indicate at this point, and ensure that all such costs are duly incorporated in the financial proposal submitted to UNDP. If an Offeror is employed by an organization/company/institution, and he/she expects his/her employer to charge a management fee in the process of releasing him/her to UNDP under Reimbursable Loan Agreement (RLA), the Offeror must indicate at this point, and ensure that all such costs are duly incorporated in the financial proposal submitted to UNDP.
Criteria for Selection of the Best Offer
Offers will be evaluated utilizing a combined Scoring method – where the qualifications, technical proposal, and the interview will be weighted a max. of 70%, and combined with the price offer which will be weighted a max of 30%.
- Committed to highest regards of professionalism, impartiality, accountability, transparency, ethics, and integrity;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, ethnicity, and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrates substantial experience in gender equality and social inclusion.
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism.
- Ability to work effectively within a team and develop good relationships with counterparts and stakeholders;
- Ability to synthesise research and draw conclusion on the related subjects;
- Ability to pay attention to details;
- Demonstrates transparency and provides feedback to all those who will contribute to the evaluation;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to establish effective working relations in a multicultural team environment;
- Commitment to accomplish work;
- Responds positively to critical feedback;
- Results and task oriented.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in operations, finance, auditing, logistics, procurement, management, statistics or development or any related field, preferably with specific focus on international development and humanitarian operations.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience with procurement, logistics or operations.
- Having quantitative analysis background
- Having analytical skills
- Having documentation/report writing ability
- UN experience shall be considered as an asset.
- Experience in developing BOS for UN Offices as a consultant shall be considered as an asset
- Proficient in English language, spoken and written. Ability to write reports, make presentation, provide training etc.
- Click on the "Apply now" button;
- Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation; You can type in, or paste your short Resume into the last box;
- Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload your Resume;
- System will only allow one attachment. All docs (CV; P11; financial offer; list of similar profiles should be included as one attachment).
- Please make sure to submit all the requested documents/information; otherwise, your application will be considered incomplete.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: prishtina
- Grade: National Consultant - Locally recruited Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Library Science
- Operations and Administrations
- Trade and Development
- Public, Private Partnership
- Closing Date: 2018-07-31