Under the guidance and direct supervision of the DCD-O, the Procurement Associate provides leadership in execution of procurement services in CO ensuring their effectiveness, transparency and integrity. The Procurement Associate promotes a client-focused, quality and results- oriented approach in the Unit.
The Procurement Associate supervises and leads the support staff of the Procurement Unit. The Procurement Associate works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project teams in the CO and UNDP HQ and RSCA staff for resolving complex procurement-related issues and information delivery.
Incumbent will approach work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude and display a strong client orientation. As such s/he will display flexibility in performing other emerging tasks assigned by RR/RC, CD or supervisor/manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key functions:
- Administration and implementation of operational strategies
- Organization of procurement processes
- Implementation of sourcing strategy and e-procurement tools
- Control of CO Assets
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1) Ensures administration and implementation of the operational strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of procurement activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control, proper functioning of a client-oriented procurement management system.
- CO Procurement business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement and Logistics, control of the workflows in the Procurement Unit.
- Elaboration of proposals and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies in consultation with office management.
- Provision of researched information for formulation and implementation of contract strategy and strategic procurement in the CO including tendering processes and evaluation, managing the contract and contractor
- legal considerations and payment conditions, sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, e-procurement introduction
2) Organizes procurement processes for CO, NEX/DEX projects and at the request of other Agencies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of procurement plans for the office and projects and their implementation monitoring.
- Organization of procurement processes including preparation and conduct of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Preparation of Purchase orders and contracts in and outside Atlas, preparation of Recurring Purchase orders for contracting of services, vendors’ creation in Atlas. Buyers profile in Atlas.
- Review of procurement processes conducted by projects; submissions to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee (CAP) and Advisory Committee on Procurement (ACP).
- Implementation of the internal control system which ensures that Purchase orders are duly prepared and dispatched. Timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems.
- Presentation of researched information on procurement in the CO.
- Preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the procurement services provided by UNDP to other Agencies.
- Organization of joint procurement processes for the UN Agencies in line with the UN reform.
3) Ensures implementation of sourcing strategy and e-procurement tools focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Development and update of the rosters of suppliers, implementation of supplier selection and evaluation.
- Preparation of inventory reports.
- Implementation of Inventory and physical verification control in the CO and projects.
5) Ensures organization of logistical services focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of travel including purchase of tickets, DSA calculation, PO preparation; arrangement of shipments; vehicle maintenance; conference facilities arrangements.
- Timely conducted DSA, Travel Agencies, vehicle maintenance, hotel and conference facilities surveys.
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on Procurement.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in Procurement.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
7) Manages the team
- Provision of effective supervision and direction to and empowerment of member(s) of the team.
- Management of team in compliance with corporate human resources policies and strategies.
- Management of team and individual performance.
- Support of supervisee(s) in facilitating their learning and development.
- Support of supervisees in maintenance of their health and well-being, safety and security.
Ability to make new and useful ideas work - Level 3: Adapts deliverables to meet client needs
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement -Level 3: Takes responsibility for addressing critical situations and delivering core value
The ability to acquire goods, services or works from an outside external source - Level 3: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work
Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge - Level 3: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work
Knowledge of purchase-to-pay cycles, concepts, principles and policies and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations - Level 3: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work
Ability to find, evaluate and engage suppliers of goods and services - Level 3: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized procurement training.
- University Degree on Business/Public Administration or Economics would be desirable, but it is not a requirement
- 7 years of progressively responsible procurement and sourcing experience is required at the national or international level.
- Alternatively, if in possession of a Bachelor’s Degree, only 4 years of relevant experience would be required.
- Proven experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Experience in handling of web based management systems is required.
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft (Atlas).
- Candidates will have a distinct advantage if they possess a Procurement Certification Programme.
- Fluency in English and Portuguese.
- Other official language of the UN will be desirable
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: maputo
- Grade: GS-7, General Service - No need for Higher Education - Locally recruited position - Administrative support
- Operations and Administrations
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2018-08-03