WASH Project Assistant - Somalia
Somalia, Kismayo, +252 Kismayo, Somalia
P.S: Please ensure that you fill in all details before submitting your application on WebCruiter. Empty and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Rights Respected, People Protected
Founded in 1946, today the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) works in both new and protracted crises across 31 countries. Our 6,000 employees provide life-saving and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. NRC specialises in six areas: food security, education, shelter, legal assistance, camp management, and water, sanitation and hygiene. NRC is a determined advocate for displaced people. We promote and defend their rights and dignity in local communities, with national governments and in the international arena.
NRC’s expert deployment capacity, NORCAP, boasts around 1,000 experts from all over the world who can be deployed within 72 hours. NORCAP experts help improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises.
NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
NRC in Somalia
NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland, South Central and Jubbaland regions. NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
NRC Somalia is part of NRC’s East Africa and Yemen regional operation which comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across seven countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Yemen, Eritrea, South Sudan, Uganda and Tanzania). NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to enhance protection and promote the rights of displaced people in humanitarian need by improving living conditions and seeking durable solutions. The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardization of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
Role and responsibilities
- Implement delegated WASH project portfolio according to plan of action .
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management.
- Ensure proper filing of documents.
- Monitor and report on the WASH project activities and ensure compliance with plans and NRC standards.
- Mobilize communities and community leaders for the building materials, construction activities and maintenance of structures.
- Suggest new methods and approaches in order to improve the quality of the activities.
- Report all protection related concerns in the field.
- Carry out data collection as required.
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines.
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Promote safe WASH practices, including appropriate use and maintenance of WASH facilities and services.
- Facilitate appropriate community involvement in the design and delivery of essential WASH services and facilities.
- Conduct hygiene promotion activities in the IDP camps and schools under guidance of the WASH Officer.
- Supervision of all sanitary installations including latrines, pits, drainage systems and desludging
- Carry out informal and formal training sessions (according to identified needs) and evaluate the impacts of this training.
- Identify needs for non-food items relevant to hygiene; participate in the choice of items, targeting strategy, promotion of effective use, and post-distribution monitoring.
- Conduct field based needs assessments for schools construction and WASH activities to enable effective planning and Implementation by the NRC WASH Project.
- Raise the awareness on issues relevant to the community and encourage their participation in projects.
- Ensure mainstreaming of all cross-cutting issues in implementation of activities.
- Train the IDP community on settlement care, maintenance, and protection issues related to planning, Latrine construction and water infrastructure maintenance.
- Prepare field visit reports or as required internally by NRC as well as relevant donors
Professional competencies for this position:
- Experience from working as a Project Assistant in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Diploma in Public Health, Community Health, community development or Social studies
- Substantial training in camp management.
- Experience from working with WASH projects in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Knowledge of English and local language
Context related skills, knowledge and experience:
- Knowledge of the operating context in Jubbaland Somalia.
- Knowledge of Somali language and its different dialect.
- Experience in Hygiene promotion or community mobilization
- Handling insecure environments
- Working with people
- Planning and delivering results
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline
Email and paper applications will not be considered.
Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Contract period: December 2018 with possibility of extension.
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Kismayo
Travel: 30% travelling is expected.
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
NB: All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Somalia, Kismayo, +252 Kismayo, Somalia
- Grade: Level not specified
- Administrative support
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-08-05