IMPORTANT NOTICE\: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on your personal device's date and time settings.
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality.
Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations
depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
This position is in FMD-FAO Project Office Islamabad, Pakistan and the incumbent will be based at National Veterinary Laboratories (NVL), Islamabad. FAO Project and NVL work closely for the diagnosis of FMD in the country. The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
Under overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Pakistan (FAOR), and under direct supervision of the Project Coordinator and Assistant FAOR (Program); the Laboratory Technician (virus isolation) will be responsible for the below mentioned tasks and responsibilities.
- The Laboratory Technician will be a part of the FMD-FAO Project Team;
- Liaison with Project staff, provincial diagnostic laboratories and relevant stakeholders for smooth implementation of activities;
- According to the needs, prepare detailed implementation plan of the allotted activities (project work plan, procurement plan);
- Prepare Lab Reports for the Project Coordinator and other Project staff.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Develop and maintain record of all SOPs being used to process samples in the lab;
- Ensure that all equipment are in good working condition;
- Prepare a list of all expendables for procurement required for routine use in the lab;
- Prepare specifications of all reagents/media for procurement;
- Maintain record of all expendables and non-expendables;
- Keep record of all samples received for virus isolation in the lab;
- Process samples for virus isolation and keep record of results for sharing with the Project staff on regular basis;
- Assist Project Coordinator in the procurement of all expendables and non-expendables as required;
- Assist to organize training workshops for the provincial lab staff;
- Assist the Project staff in the shipment of samples (virus isolates) to the FMD-World Reference Lab UK or other reference labs for further analysis;
- Coordinate with the staff of ELISA and PCR labs for sharing samples (virus isolates) for further analysis and characterization;
- Maintain and preserve all virus isolates (and their record) in the liquid nitrogen for long term storage of the isolated viruses;
- Assist NFO-Diagnosis and Project Associate in the development of technical material;
- Perform any other duty as required by the Project staff
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- At least University Degree in science. Preference will be given to the candidate having research degree (M.Sc. / M.Phil);
- Minimum of one year of work experience in the field of virus isolation and laboratory work;
- Working knowledge of the English language (Level-C)
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Experience in the laboratory to handle and process infectious material for virus isolation;
- Willingness to undertake field visits when required in remote environments and interact with different stakeholders, especially primary stakeholders for the collection of samples;
- Experience in similar settings would be considered a distinct advantage;
- Understanding of the purpose and functions of technical programmes, operational guidelines and programme/project management procedures, preferably those adopted by the United Nations or FAO would be considered an added asset;
- Good knowledge of common administrative and financial rules and regulations;
- Good knowledge of communication and documentation standards.
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams is essential.
Candidates will be assessed against the requirements listed above.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO,
Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing).
- Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications.
- Candidates with acceptable language certificate/s should upload them when submitting their application. For details, visit http\://www.fao.org/3/I8446EN/i8446en.pdf
- For other issues, visit the FAO employment website\: http\://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- For further information on categories, contract duration and honoraria, please refer to the Conditions page.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
Vacancies will be removed from the recruitment portal at 23\:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT